post #181 of 285 Old 08-18-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbonspeakers View Post

The following is accepted universal loudspeaker industry policy:a burnt voice coils always defines user abuse and is always excluded under any definition of warranty coverage.

Reasonable analogy: the same day you buy new tires, you drag race on a 600hp vehicle, wearing the tread down to the cords, and request warranty coverage. Anyone who ever concluded burnt voice coil was a "warranty" item is/was sadly mistaken, confused, etc. How or why did you come to this conclusion?

Assumes facts not in evidence. I have had tires replaced under warranty for premature wear. No drag racing involved, merely tires that were not as rugged as had been guaranteed.
Burnt voice coils mean burnt voice coils. Maybe they could not take the power they were rated for. Maybe cooling was insufficent. Maybe they shorted , or resistance dropped in the crossover causing them to eat more amperage than expected.

Indeed, the volume that (based on specs) would be needed seems deafening. Why don't I see similar complaints all over the place for other brands (with less efficiency and similar power-handling)?
Quote:
Get real and stop shifting blame for incompetence to someone unrelated to your carelessness and negligence.
Tell me exactly how you have established with certainty that this poster did in-fact abuse this speaker. Please describe the specific abuse that was done and your proof.
psgcdn and its phillip like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 285 Old 08-18-2013, 10:50 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

Assumes facts not in evidence. I have had tires replaced under warranty for premature wear. No drag racing involved, merely tires that were not as rugged as had been guaranteed.
Burnt voice coils mean burnt voice coils. Maybe they could not take the power they were rated for. Maybe cooling was insufficent. Maybe they shorted , or resistance dropped in the crossover causing them to eat more amperage than expected.

Indeed, the volume that (based on specs) would be needed seems deafening. Why don't I see similar complaints all over the place for other brands (with less efficiency and similar power-handling)?
Tell me exactly how you have established with certainty that this poster did in-fact abuse this speaker. Please describe the specific abuse that was done and your proof.

"Maybe" monkeys will fly out my butt.

Repeat: Standard universal industry policy is that burnt voice coil always defines user abuse and is always excluded from warranty coverage.

Please stop wasting bandwidth till this statement is disproved.

Everyone reading this is surrounded by several trillion miles of conductor called "wire." Wire has well established and well known current and voltage capacity. There is a safe range, marginal/borderline range, and range beyond which said wire burns.

An excellent example of wire with specific current rating is the tiny conductor wire comprising a fuse.

Current flows through a dynamic coil speaker driver's coil. Guess what? The coil is wire! That wire has well known and well established current rating. Earth to readers: Disagreeing with that current spec doesn't change it! If/when you find a flaw with such current ratings, please do a PhD thesis on it and let us all know! We won't hold our breath.

Current from the amp flows through the tweeter coil. Beyond a certain current, guess what happens? Think hard now. C'mon....keep thinking.....I know you can do it!

Yes, it burns up! The voice coil opens and burns up to powder/cinders/smoke, AKA "products of combustion."

Still confused? I hope not!

No, an evil witch did not curse your tweeter to an early failure with low current, sorry.

You can just as soon return a blown fuse for a free warranty replacement as claim warranty coverage for a blown/burnt voice coil.

If these current ratings for wire are not accurate, then why does not the entire world have examples everywhere of burnt wire conductors burning for unknown and unknowable reasons?

One reason I can state for this tweeter blowing: Eric overstates power handling, because the tweeter pole is low and/or slow, resulting from the two way design.

But this does not transfer blame from the user to Eric. All or most speakers overstate power handling to various degree. Klipsch overstates sensitivity 4-7 dB.

It's up to the user to listen to the speaker, the closer to the limit the more carefully, and never cause the speaker to audibly distort.
post #183 of 285 Old 08-18-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Quote:

The following is accepted universal loudspeaker industry policy:a burnt voice coils always defines user abuse and is always excluded under any definition of warranty coverage.

Reasonable analogy: the same day you buy new tires, you drag race on a 600hp vehicle, wearing the tread down to the cords, and request warranty coverage. Anyone who ever concluded burnt voice coil was a "warranty" item is/was sadly mistaken, confused, etc. How or why did you come to this conclusion? What do you think would a consumer do who shifted responsibility for their product abuse to someone completely unrelated to the abuse? Well, of course, they'd burn the replacement voice coil and keep returning for replacements till the source refused, that's what they'd do!

I remember my child who crashed the family car twice. Is it a coincidence that this same person stopped crashing after they were forced to purchase their own car? I don't think so.

Solution to/prevention of burnt voice coils: buy an amp with larger voltage and current. The louder you play it the closer you must listen for audible distortion/distress. One must always play a loudspeaker below the level of audible distortion. Audible distortion defines abuse/negligence, etc. Finally, if you are listening at or near the limit, you have no safety margin for louder dynamic peak. Purchase the Pendragon if necessary.

Get real and stop shifting blame for incompetence to someone unrelated to your carelessness and negligence.

LOL.....is this Eric?
post #184 of 285 Old 08-18-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess I find it some what funny that the users had their tweeters burn up and yet it never happened with any of the speakers that they had used before or after their Tekton speakers.

I guess the Tekton speakers are just more fragile then other speakers.
post #185 of 285 Old 08-18-2013, 12:12 PM

Liked: 11
Hey all....
Brand new to this site. But in need of some advice. First let
me say that I'm no audiophile. In my 63 years (40 plus buying gear) I've met very few speakers I haven't liked. True, I hear differences, but few that I've found unpleasing. I've also been a musician since my teens, and am a very accomplished percussionist....played, taught, written, etc. My tastes run to jazz, orchestral, some pop....I like good vocals. I suspect I have some hearing loss due to heavy percussion and brass ensembles indoors with lots of really bad acoustics. So I don't spend a ton on gear, though I can if I wish. Just makes no sense to me to spend $100 grand on speakers when I love the Athena small bookshelves I've been listening to. I also have a design problem. Bought a large model home that came with Speakercraft in ceiling 5.0's, so I need to match them. They'er rated at 92db sensitivity, so I'm thinking the M-Lores would be a reasonable match at 94db. There's also a serious wife acceptance factor at play: "Too big" and "don't match the stain on our TV cabinet" have been the objections. I have a good, deep sub, but I like to listen to some of my music in 2.0, so I need at least reasonable bass; I know that may sound weird coming from a drum guy, but I always gravitated to the cymbals and snare more than the bass and floor toms for the sound I wanted to play. My room is 15x17 with 10 foot ceilings, powered by a standard AV receiver in 7.1. I can have the M-Lores finished however I want, so I'd have Eric match a photo of the stain. But before I order (since they'll be custom and not returnable), I want to have a 2nd set of eyes, experienced with the M-Lores, looks for any mismatches I might be missing. The Speakercrafts are also 8 ohms. The left side (facing the speakers) is open.....no wall. At up to 130 watts rms, am I ok here, especially with the high ceilings? Does the 2db sensitivity rating make any difference when running 7.1 channel?

Thanks for your help.
post #186 of 285 Old 08-18-2013, 02:09 PM

Whoopsy. The m-lore is listed at 95db. Again, does that 3db make a difference?
post #187 of 285 Old 08-18-2013, 02:49 PM

I ordered Lores (in white) on 6/24 and received them on 8/2. That's almost exactly 6 weeks, which is the lead time I was quoted, so I'm pretty happy about that. They definitely sound better and better as you play them. I've got about 40 to 50 hours on them and they sound great. No complaints from me. I love them.
post #188 of 285 Old 08-18-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbird View Post

I ordered Lores (in white) on 6/24 and received them on 8/2. That's almost exactly 6 weeks, which is the lead time I was quoted, so I'm pretty happy about that. They definitely sound better and better as you play them. I've got about 40 to 50 hours on them and they sound great. No complaints from me. I love them.

That's great to hear, did you order them with or without grills?
post #189 of 285 Old 08-18-2013, 03:26 PM

Without grills.
post #190 of 285 Old 08-18-2013, 05:52 PM

I also posted this because I work in the home electronics business and get really tired of seeing nothing but complaints on the internet. People who have good experiences typically don't post about it. I had an excellent experience dealing with Tekton and their team. Every contact I had with them was positive. I have been impressed with their professionalism. I'm glad I didn't listen to the complainers. Nobody's perfect, but a lot of us are good enough.
post #191 of 285 Old 08-18-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbird View Post

I also posted this because I work in the home electronics business and get really tired of seeing nothing but complaints on the internet. People who have good experiences typically don't post about it. I had an excellent experience dealing with Tekton and their team. Every contact I had with them was positive. I have been impressed with their professionalism. I'm glad I didn't listen to the complainers. Nobody's perfect, but a lot of us are good enough.
Quote:
LOL.....is this Eric?
67jason likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #192 of 285 Old 08-18-2013, 07:39 PM

No.
post #193 of 285 Old 08-18-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Quote:

"Maybe" monkeys will fly out my butt.

Repeat: Standard universal industry policy is that burnt voice coil always defines user abuse and is always excluded from warranty coverage.

Please stop wasting bandwidth till this statement is disproved.

I'm still waiting for you to prove both your claim that it's "standard universal policy" (which BTW: standard or universal?) , and also your claim that it's actually proof of "abuse" (along with a clear definition of how you are using "abuse")
Quote:
Everyone reading this is surrounded by several trillion miles of conductor called "wire." Wire has well established and well known current and voltage capacity. There is a safe range, marginal/borderline range, and range beyond which said wire burns.

An excellent example of wire with specific current rating is the tiny conductor wire comprising a fuse.

Funny story. Fuses sometimes blow without there being a surge. I still remember when houses were on fuses. I still remember changing fuses.

Another funny story: when fuses did blow, it wasn't always "abuse". Sometimes there was a problem somewhere else in the line.
Quote:
Current flows through a dynamic coil speaker driver's coil. Guess what? The coil is wire! That wire has well known and well established current rating. Earth to readers: Disagreeing with that current spec doesn't change it! If/when you find a flaw with such current ratings, please do a PhD thesis on it and let us all know! We won't hold our breath.

And Tekton has given a correct rating for the durability of its voice coil? Prove.
And all voice coils from Tekton have the same durability (there are no variations in manufacturing, there are never problems with the wire, never problems with the insulation, never grouding sisues in the connectors)? Prove.
And all voice coils from Tekton have the same resistance (again, no variations)? Prove.
And all crossovers from Tekton provide the same resistance? Prove.
And those crossovers never fail (except again, via abuse) to provide that resistance? Prove.
And those crossovers never fail to crossover... perhaps inductive charges jumping lines? Prove.
Quote:
No, an evil witch did not curse your tweeter to an early failure with low current, sorry.

I don't have any failed tweeters.
Quote:
But this does not transfer blame from the user to Eric. All or most speakers overstate power handling to various degree. Klipsch overstates sensitivity 4-7 dB.

It's up to the user to listen to the speaker, the closer to the limit the more carefully, and never cause the speaker to audibly distort.

An interesting theory of liability. If someone else commits fraud, then it's not fraud when you did it. I'm pretty sure my parents explained to me "he did it too" wouldn't work back around kindergarten.
its phillip likes this.
post #194 of 285 Old 08-21-2013, 12:57 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Reasonable analogy: the same day you buy new tires, you drag race on a 600hp vehicle, wearing the tread down to the cords, and request warranty coverage. Anyone who ever concluded burnt voice coil was a "warranty" item is/was sadly mistaken, confused, etc. How or why did you come to this conclusion? What do you think would a consumer do who shifted responsibility for their product abuse to someone completely unrelated to the abuse? Well, of course, they'd burn the replacement voice coil and keep returning for replacements till the source refused, that's what they'd do!

I remember my child who crashed the family car twice. Is it a coincidence that this same person stopped crashing after they were forced to purchase their own car? I don't think so.

Solution to/prevention of burnt voice coils: buy an amp with larger voltage and current. The louder you play it the closer you must listen for audible distortion/distress. One must always play a loudspeaker below the level of audible distortion. Audible distortion defines abuse/negligence, etc. Finally, if you are listening at or near the limit, you have no safety margin for louder dynamic peak. Purchase the Pendragon if necessary.

I have never read a single post here as patently blatant--and even flagrant, as the above.

I suppose you would also tell me it is the fault of the folks that bought homes with asbestos in them, for getting ill.
JerryLove likes this.
post #195 of 285 Old 08-21-2013, 03:07 PM

Liked: 18
Paid 1,060.00, including shipping for a pair of Lores.
Another 100.00 for 3 blown tweeters. All 3 tweeters replaced at my own expense.
Sold the Lores on Ebay for $750--Ebay and Paypal loss--another 15 % of the sale price.

A bit upset about the tweeters blowing for no really good reason--I decided to run a little experiment. I had a pair of Infinity RS 1000 bread-loaf-sized speakers sitting around unused for years.
Hooked them up to my Pio Elite---with pre-amp-outs to my Integra ADM 2.1---put on some very bassy stuff running off a CD player--turned up the volume beyond anybody's comprehension. It took about 90 minutes of total abuse--and, yes, the 4.5 inch woofers on the Infis finally fused.
While the Polycell Dome Tweeters on the Infinity RS 1000's were, (and still are) working just fine.

Tweeters on a $1,000.00 pair of speakers blow.
Polycell pip-sqeak tweeters on a 30 year old pair of cheapo speakers do not blow.
rolleyes.gif
its phillip likes this.
post #196 of 285 Old 08-27-2013, 07:37 AM

Liked: 12
Hey,J mariani. I have the m-lores in a 5.1 set up and love them..... Oh yeah no- grill,s yet
post #197 of 285 Old 08-27-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmariani3 View Post

Whoopsy. The m-lore is listed at 95db. Again, does that 3db make a difference?

Yeah, but you best better not play them above 90dBC or else risk blowing the tweeters. biggrin.gif
post #198 of 285 Old 08-27-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackie2 View Post

Hey,J mariani. I have the m-lores in a 5.1 set up and love them..... Oh yeah no- grill,s yet

Don't you mean, "No speaker grilles FOREVER"? biggrin.gif
post #199 of 285 Old 08-27-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackie2 View Post

What's the size of your room? Are all the speakers in your set up Tekton? I ordered M-Lores a few weeks ago and plan to have them in my bedroom. Mulling the idea of Tektons in a 5.1 set up as well.

For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
post #200 of 285 Old 08-29-2013, 02:42 PM

hey I don,t have a large room set up in living room about 18 X 25. I use them about 75% music but they seem to be fine. I was listining to e.l.o . had it turned up pretty loud sure enought blew one. I called eric... We talked with in a week I was back up and running he sent me a speaker i put in my self. he did say I was the first one to blow a m-lore. But I am glad I waited love the speakers
post #201 of 285 Old 08-29-2013, 02:44 PM

And yes all my speakers are tekton and the sub. Not making excuse,s but I think they was turned up as far as they could go. Was my day off with some cocktails
post #202 of 285 Old 09-02-2013, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Opinion on Magnepan MMG or Tekton M-Lore? Room is 14' wide, 24' long (sitting in the middle so 12' from front wall). Will be getting an integrated amp (and DAC) for music streamed from a computer. Lot more reviews on the MMG, but that is one large speaker. Listen to wide range of music (no rap, hip hop). (FYI, I put a similar message in a Magnepan thread...)
post #203 of 285 Old 09-03-2013, 01:44 AM

Liked: 21
Reading about all the pissed of Tekton owners and how shady the owner has been why would anyone buy these? The owner seems like a dick, I had interest in trying out some Tekton later down the road for a 2nd room setup but not after a lot of stuff I've seen online about them. I would love to hear how their speakers hold up against the likes of Ascend towers or Salks or Aperion all of which are known for great customer service.
post #204 of 285 Old 09-05-2013, 07:37 AM

Well to start I never had any problem with Eric. I am not saying other people have not but as for my experance I can say I no problems. I do like my speakers and I am not making excuses for eric. I am only relating my purchase from him. Have a great day
post #205 of 285 Old 09-05-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder125 View Post

Reading about all the pissed of Tekton owners and how shady the owner has been why would anyone buy these? The owner seems like a dick, I had interest in trying out some Tekton later down the road for a 2nd room setup but not after a lot of stuff I've seen online about them. I would love to hear how their speakers hold up against the likes of Ascend towers or Salks or Aperion all of which are known for great customer service.

Here is the Tekton recipe:

1) Bad speaker design
2) No speaker measurements to support
3) Deplorable service
4) No grilles
5) Blown tweeters

Rationally, why would anyone take the risk? eek.gif

There are so many speakers to choose from. Most of them have much better designs. And none of them have these egregious complaints from customers!

Businesses like these will go out of business. It's a sinking ship. Boarding this ship would be imprudent.

This thread reminds me of watching an imminent car crash in slow motion. Everyone is curious as hell and wants to bear witness to the outcome as it unfolds. eek.gif
post #206 of 285 Old 09-05-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

[quote name="Ryder125" url="/t/1465726/tekton-lore-owners/180#post_23695347"]Reading about all the pissed of Tekton owners and how shady the owner has been why would anyone buy these? The owner seems like a dick, I had interest in trying out some Tekton later down the road for a 2nd room setup but not after a lot of stuff I've seen online about them. I would love to hear how their speakers hold up against the likes of Ascend towers or Salks or Aperion all of which are known for great customer service.[/quote]Here is the Tekton recipe:1) Bad speaker design2) No speaker measurements to support3) Deplorable service4) No grilles5) Blown tweetersRationally, why would anyone take the risk? :eek:There are so many speakers to choose from. Most of them have much better designs. And none of them have these egregious complaints from customers!Businesses like these will go out of business. It's a sinking ship. Boarding this ship would be imprudent. This thread reminds me of watching an imminent car crash in slow motion. Everyone is curious as hell and wants to bear witness to the outcome as it unfolds. :eek:

1) Dennis Murphy of phil says the design isn't flawed and wants to hear them. I'll take his opinion before yours and others.

2) you will have the speaker measurements this weekend from the home theater shack shootout.

3) . I know all the other posts and he definitely dropped the ball and made some big mistakes. With his personal crisis he should have shut down for a few months instead of not meeting his commitments. In the last month he seems to have improved but he still has a way to go.

4) grill issue is a joke. Don't know.what he is thinking

5) the blown tweeter is to me not an issue. I have run mine at 100 plus db for six months no problem . The one dude to me runs his lores at pendragon levels , and they can't handle that. One of the other has one post about the tweeter and nothing else. I know of many other lore owners and none have any tweeter issues . They may be high efficiency but they are not built for 120 db (the lores) like jtr and seaton are. The lores are also half the price of those speaker companies .

When i talked to eric last week he said they have never had more orders. If he doesn't keep tightening up production times and get them under a month and fix this grill issue then you may be right. At this point I wouldn't recommend for someone to buy them but I hope he does improve .
post #207 of 285 Old 09-06-2013, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder125 View Post

As I work literally around the corner from Aperion HQ I have auditioned their Grand Verus line and I can say that they are not in the same league as the Pendragons. As far as customer service goes you are correct that the afore mentioned companies go above and beyond to satisfy their customers.

post #208 of 285 Old 10-28-2013, 03:03 PM

Ears is all over the board. I have just seen the addition of the Mini Lore Monitor on the newly redesigned website. I had pretty much decided that Lores may be too big for my room and was looking into M-Lores. I do have a partiality for stand mounts and was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how the monitors sound may compare. I presume the M-Lores sound large and have adequate bass but the monitors are just stated at 50 hz which makes me wonder since there is no F3 rating applied. With an 8" cone I would presume the bass would be pretty good but not sure.

The Monitor cabinet is 16.5 inches tall vs. the M-Lores 34 inches.

Any ideas out there? Thanks
post #209 of 285 Old 10-31-2013, 06:36 AM

Liked: 35
red ears....here is the thing. Part of a loudspeaker design is its "voicing"...its overall character of how it reproduces specific frequencies, blends of frequencies, highs, lows, softs, louds, etc. Many manufacturers design their products so that even though they use different transducers, the voicing of the different speakers is similar. The only way to know if this is what Eric is doing for the mini lore monitor is to call or email him. If the Lore sound is what you want and if the mini lore monitor is voiced similarly, then you should be happy....but you may need to add a small sub such as the SVS SB12 NSD to really handle the deep low end.

As for the Lore sound....I've had the Lores for almost 6 months now with somewhere in the 300-350 hours of run time. The sound continues to improve....cohesiveness, soundstage, and overall smoothness.....which maybe should not be a surprise since Zu does a 600 hour break in on their eminence drivers before shipping (Tekton doesn't). I still have plenty of opportunity to listen to Logans, GoldenEars, Def Techs and the like, and while they sound great...the Lores are staying put. Why, they sound amazing, both soft and loud, up close and sitting back with all kinds of music and they are easy to drive. And yes, they will play very, very loud.

So, I'd call Eric, tell him about your room size and about the equipment you will use and then ask him about the voicing, presentation, volume and bass for the Lore, MLore and mini lore monitor. Good luck.
post #210 of 285 Old 10-31-2013, 10:07 AM

This monitor is a mini Lore cut in half so I'm pretty sure it will sound pretty much the same. I asked because I don't ever want a subwoofer. I have tried to call Eric and only gotten a full vmail box and my email is now two weeks unanswered. I'm wondering if he lost his help?

One small quibble, the Monitor has a $75 delivery cost, the M-Lore has a $60 delivery cost being more hefty. That's kind of desperate pricing making his minimum price point $700 no matter what.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page