Bye Bye Bose - What do you recommend for 7.1 surrounds? Martin Logan MLT-2's or Pioneer SP-FS22s or??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I want opinions! I'm in the process of completing renovation #2 on my home theater, adding a rear platform for elevated seating, an in-wall component rack and new thick carpeting. Current system is 7.2 Yamaha HTR-5060 with 120 W/channel, Fronts are brand new Martin Logan Motion 12's (love 'em), Sub is Onix Rocket ELT-1 SW-10 10" sub, KLH Presence and Bose Acoustimass 15 and double cube for the 4 surrounds with Bose VCS-10 center. I've decided it's time to trade off the entire Bose portion of the system (because I can recoup $500 on Craigslist for it), and put in new "real" bookshelf and/or floor standing surrounds and new center speaker. I would like to keep it all around $250 if possible for a new center, new L+R Surrounds and new L+R Rear Surrounds. I'm interested in the most bang for the buck. Wondering if floor standing surrounds are necessary. Here is what I'm thinking so far based on lots of reading...

1. Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1 HTB system (includeds subwoofer - replaces Acoustimass unit, for 2 subs) $250 NewEgg (TIED for least expensive option, all bookshelfs)
2. Pioneer SP-C22 center, with 4 SP-BS-22-LR surrounds, around $250 from parts-express, others (no 2nd sub, all bookshelfs)
3. Pioneer SP-C22 center, with 2 SP-FS-22-LR for surrounds, 2 SP-BS-22-LR for rear surrounds, ~$405 from parts-express, others. (most expensive / no 2nd sub / 2 floor standing)
4. Lower down on the "I'm impressed with the sound" list: Fluance AVHTB 5.1 with 2 floor standing, 2 bookshelf for $250 (TIED for least expensive option, 2 floor standing / no 2nd sub)
5. (as above) Monoprice 9774 (clones of Energy Take Classic 5.1's??) 5.1 with 4 bookshelf and 1 sub for $279 (all bookshelfs)

I see a lot of bookshelf and floorstanding speaker deals out there - but wonder if any other combo can beat the above choices for sound quality vs. cost.

Appreciate any insight / thoughts / advice!!!

DaveCarerra4
Kennesaw HT

Why go out to a movie theater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
3. Pioneer SP-C22 center, with 2 SP-FS-22-LR for surrounds, 2 SP-BS-22-LR for rear surrounds, ~$405 from parts-express, others. (most expensive / no 2nd sub / 2 floor standing)

If you're using the FS-52 towers for surrounds and BS-22 for rear surrounds, what are you using for front speakers?confused.gif

If the Martin Logans are your fronts you should get the matching ML center too.

And if all your looking is for surround speakers maybe you should get a couple pair of Infinity bookshelf speakers or the Pioneer bookshelf speakers and then add a second sub with the rest of your money.

This is a Fry's sale that started today.

Afro GT
post #3 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 AM

Liked: 10
there are a lot better speaker options then those,

also bose is alll about hype

bowers and wilkins
paradigm
monitor audio

etc etc
post #4 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarg37 View Post

there are a lot better speaker options then those,

also bose is alll about hype

bowers and wilkins
paradigm
monitor audio

etc etc

I believe you misunderstood the whole point of my post. I don't want to spend $1000's of dollars on speakers! Those that you list are EXPENSIVE (and good). Re. the Bose comment - isn't it obvious that I'm moving away from Bose?

post #5 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
If I were you I'd probably go with option 2 and add on a center to match (or exceed) the mains. It is important to have a center that sounds a lot like the left and right, particularly for sounds and voices that move across the screen. It can be very disconcerting to have it sound one way on the left, a different way as it goes across the center, and then sounds different again on the right.

If I had money left, I'd consider a subwoofer upgrade. Indeed, I'd be very likely forego the rear surround channels in favor of more bass. I think there's more bang for the buck there for home theater than in rear surround speakers.

post #6 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

And if all your looking is for surround speakers maybe you should get a couple pair of Infinity bookshelf speakers or the Pioneer bookshelf speakers and then add a second sub with the rest of your money.

This is a Fry's sale that started today.

Interesting...no Fry's here in MI, so I stopped at a new ABC in town. They had Polk R-150 bookshelf speakers for $29 each. Are they any good? Reviews are mixed on Amazon. I could spend $120 on the Polks, and that leaves $130 for another subwoofer - I like that idea.

Dave

post #7 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 05:41 PM

Liked: 10
I have not auditioned Infinitys in a very long time but I have an old (now very old?) pair of their bookshelfs that I still enjoy at times. Ebay might be a good option.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-27-2013, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thought I'd update. Ended up with 4 Pioneer BS22's for front high and rear surrounds, FS52's for surrounds, and a new Pioneer SC1522k 9.2 receiver. Needless to say, I want to hole up in my home theater for numerous hours every day!

post #9 of 10 Old 05-27-2013, 06:32 AM

Liked: 11
I would definitely begin by adding a Motion 8 to match those towers....the surrounds can be an afterthought. Personally I would wait to match the surrounds as well as the Motion series is quite unique, and the Motion 2's are pretty affordable. If you insist on keeping the budget lower, and want to knock the system out right away, you can always buy a 5.0/1 speaker package to replace your surrounds and add a sub. Something like the Polk TL1900 (and many others) could be a good option.

If you're going to "upgrade" I say actually upgrade. Those are nice fronts, and you could piece together a really nice system if you allow yourself to budget in better compliments.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-27-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the thoughts. I do like the Martins. I will likely stay put with this system for a while, and play with upgrades down the road. I forgot to mention I added a 2nd sub, 12" Boston Acoustics. The SC-1522k AVR really propels this system nicely.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page