HSU Ultimate 7.2.1 system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-29-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,
I am just starting my home cinema build and am in the process of choosing my components and speakers. I will be using an Onkyo TX-NR5009 as my receiver, the Epson 5020UB as my 3D projector and am thinking of the HSU Ultimate 7.2.1 system. The system is listed for $3489 on the HSU site. My room is 12'6" by 15' and 8'6" in height with a 12" riser that is 8'6" from the front wall.

Questions
Does anyone have any experience with this company, i.e., quality, reliability,...etc.?

What about comparable systems?

Will I need a separate amplifier/power conditioner to run the subs and/or other speakers?

I will be using the system as follows:

80% movies
10% TV
10% Music

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-29-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 446
The Hsu Ultimate would make for a great system, if you can set it up right. The quality and reliability is very good. The customer service is great too, just give them a call during business hours and see for yourself. As for comparable system, there really wouldn't be anything that comparable to that specific system because it is using a 2-way sub system, this is different than anything anyone else has to offer. If you set that kind of system up right in your home theater, it will pound in there, especially in a smaller room like yours. I would email Hsu for advice on how to set that up. As for amplification, a TX5009 has more than enough juice to blaze the HB speakers, so don't bother with separate amps. Running Audyssey SubEQ with a 2 ULS/1 MBM sub system would need to be done in a particular way to be correct, so make sure you get advice about that.

You do NOT want to use power conditioners on any subs, that can sometimes be a problem. I wouldn't use a power conditioner on the receiver either. It might be wise to get a UPS for the projector though. Some mounts that work great for the HB speakers are the Videosecu side-clamping mounts, those are perfect for mounting the surround speakers. One thing some people do with the HB speakers for the front stage is toe them in to cross a couple feet in front of the listening positions, this allows the first order reflections to hit the other side your head and make for a more spacious and wider sound stage.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 647
First, your speakers do not need to match your sub in brand; they can be a completely different manufacturer. Make those determinations separately.

This is the Seaton Submersive HP:

Dual opposed 15" drivers, 2400 watt amplifier.

Then there are the JTR Captivator subs. Here's what the Captivator Pro subs can do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlpqBoQ1hoQ

These are two of the most commonly recommended single subs on the AVS subwoofer forum for those putting as much as you are into your sub setup. Since you say you don't know much about HSU and bass obviously seems important to you, you might want to post in the AVS subwoofer forum. That's where the sub enthusiasts hang out. Pick out the sub setup that is best for you. Could be this HSU set; could be something else.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-30-2013, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Hsu has an excellent and well-deserved reputation for subwoofers. I've met them, listened to their products, interacted with owners, and would be very comfortable to buy a HSU subwoofer.

I was less pleased with how their bookshelves sounded. I personally did not like the sound and would not recommend them. YMMV.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-30-2013, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 713
In a small room like yours unless your a bass freak(nothing wrong with that) this is overkill . I have hsu vtf15 in aroom twice that size and it rumbles and gives me plenty . You feel it in your chest and legs . 1k on that sub gives you 2500 to spend on 7 other speakers and there are plenty of brands to choose from. If depends on what you want.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-30-2013, 01:15 AM

Liked: 12
You had better audition first before taking the plunge. This is the no 1 rule for buying speakers! Bring your CD to the shop for a demo. You'll be surprise how different speakers sound entirely different.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-30-2013, 04:59 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

In a small room like yours unless your a bass freak(nothing wrong with that) this is overkill . I have hsu vtf15 in aroom twice that size and it rumbles and gives me plenty . You feel it in your chest and legs . 1k on that sub gives you 2500 to spend on 7 other speakers and there are plenty of brands to choose from. If depends on what you want.

100% agree with this post. I have a VTF-2 MK4 in a room 1.5x the size of the OP's, and it provides more quality bass than I can use. At half volume it literally shakes my entire house from the basement. For music and TV I run it sealed at 1/4 volume, and for floor shaking movie effects I run it with one port open at 3/8 volume. If I had $3,500 to spend on a 7.1 system, the largest sub I would consider is the VTF-15H, and then spend the remaining on the 7.0. You can eat up $2,500 pretty fast with a quality 7.0 set, and do a LOT better than the Hsu speakers.

Edit: For instance, for ~$2,300 shipped you could get:

2 pairs of Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html
2 pairs of perfect stands for those speakers
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/access/spkstnds/pedstlcmt340.html
1 pair of Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html
1 pairs of perfect stands for those speakers
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/access/spkstnds/sp30stands.html
1 Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE Center
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340c/cmt340c.html

This system would blow the doors off the Hsu speakers.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-30-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
+1 Would add ...

For 7.1 "back surrounds" you could add a pair of Ascend HTM-200's. Or, if you went B-Stock you could easily do four CBM-170's for surrounds and back surrounds. Surround/Rear speakers with that wide a dynamic/freq range would make for an exceptional 7.1 system.

Also, the 170's are easily wall mountable, NTM it's less expensive than stands.
http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clamping-Mounting-Surrounding-MS56B/dp/B000X9O8SI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364653539&sr=8-1&keywords=speaker+wall+mount
post #9 of 9 Old 03-30-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGcollector View Post

100% agree with this post. I have a VTF-2 MK4 in a room 1.5x the size of the OP's, and it provides more quality bass than I can use. At half volume it literally shakes my entire house from the basement. For music and TV I run it sealed at 1/4 volume, and for floor shaking movie effects I run it with one port open at 3/8 volume. If I had $3,500 to spend on a 7.1 system, the largest sub I would consider is the VTF-15H, and then spend the remaining on the 7.0. You can eat up $2,500 pretty fast with a quality 7.0 set, and do a LOT better than the Hsu speakers.

Although better would be to go with dual 12" subs over the VTF-15H, as dual subs can produce a more even bass response throughout the room.

+1 for the Ascend Acoustics speakers.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page