Help in picking speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,I was looking for some input in buying the "best" bang for you buck front LCR speakers. I believe it is time to retire my cheap ass 10 plus year sony speakers that i bought at Best Buy. The price point would be that magical 1000-1500. This is so frustrating cause everytime I put my love in a speaker I find something else. I do not have time to demo these speakers. So I will just take a gamble with your help. The top companies that I choose (in no partucular order) are:

Revel concerta: F,C,S - 12
Philharmonic: Philharmonic 3
Anthony Gallo: Nucleus Reference 3.5
Wharfendale: 10.7
ARX: ARX A5
Paradigm: Not sure which set yet
Monitor Audio: Not sure which set yet
Salk: Not sure which set yet
Dynaudio: Not sure which set yet
EMPtek: Not sure which set yet
B&W: Not sure which set yet
Definitive Tech: Not sure which set yet

Please, no Polk or Klipsch. Nothing against them, but I like my speakers to be "underground" not brand names. If the speaker is 4ohm they will be eliminated cause I do not think my receiver can handle it.

The primary use will be for movies and video games. Sometimes music, and cable is not yet installed in the room.

My current room size is 25'X16' with a high ceiling the has a 45 degree angle and levels off like so / ` ` ` ` \ This equipment will eventually move into a bigger room when the basement gets finished. I currently have an older ONKYO TX-SR605 and I already have a subwoofer in HSU vtf-3 with turbo charger.

I read on here that surrounds are not important for the sheer "raw" power and other data. The fronts are your major concern. If I am wrong about this, please chime in and let me know. So I am in love with the Revel S-12s, for the awesome fact that I can switch between bi/di/mono.

Also, as off track, My friend tells me to go big or go home. He has four EMPtek 55ti with them being used as channel 1, 3, 4, 5. EMPtek dipole for 6, 7 and a standard EMPtek bookshelf and 8,9. Mind you his room is really not that big. I just think it is a waste of money and overkill. What are the pros and cons of using towers all around versus speakers like the S-12s?

E9"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Ascend Sierra-1s with the NRT upgrade?
There's Swan D2.1SEs, NHT Classic 3s as well.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Is swan the company? I don't think I heard that before. Ascend I read a lot about but never checked their site.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Hi Easy,

If you like the HSU sub, have you considered their speakers? I'm very happy with mine.
Joseph

...what a long, strange trip its been.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by easye9inches View Post

Is swan the company? I don't think I heard that before. Ascend I read a lot about but never checked their site.

Swan's online distributor I believe is the Audio Insider.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

I did A LOT of recon on HSU speakers. I love the company and I really want to support them. But, I love tower speakers and they do not offer it. Secondly, like I mentioned in my first post, I like how some speakers have a switch between di.bi.mono and they do not offer it. I mentioned a few times in their forum about getting tower speakers or bringing out new speakers since they had that same design for awhile now. But they are not interested in it.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Hello,I was looking for some input in buying the "best" bang for you buck front LCR speakers. I believe it is time to retire my cheap ass 10 plus year sony speakers that i bought at Best Buy. The price point would be that magical 1000-1500. This is so frustrating cause everytime I put my love in a speaker I find something else. I do not have time to demo these speakers. So I will just take a gamble with your help. The top companies that I choose (in no partucular order) are:

Revel concerta: F,C,S - 12
Philharmonic: Philharmonic 3
Anthony Gallo: Nucleus Reference 3.5
Wharfendale: 10.7
Paradigm: Not sure which set yet
Monitor Audio: Not sure which set yet
Salk: Not sure which set yet
Dynaudio: Not sure which set yet
EMPtek: Not sure which set yet
B&W: Not sure which set yet
Definitive Tech: Not sure which set yet
ARX: Not sure which set yet

Please, no Polk or Klipsch. Nothing against them, but I like my speakers to be "underground" not brand names. If the speaker is 4ohm they will be eliminated cause I do not think my receiver can handle it.

The primary use will be for movies and video games. Sometimes music, and cable is not yet installed in the room.

My current room size is 25'X16' with a high ceiling the has a 45 degree angle and levels off like so / ` ` ` ` \ This equipment will eventually move into a bigger room when the basement gets finished. I currently have an older ONKYO TX-SR605 and I already have a subwoofer in HSU vtf-3 with turbo charger.

I read on here that surrounds are not important for the sheer "raw" power and other data. The fronts are your major concern. If I am wrong about this, please chime in and let me know. So I am in love with the Revel S-12s, for the awesome fact that I can switch between bi/di/mono.

Also, as off track, My friend tells me to go big or go home. He has four EMPtek 55ti with them being used as channel 1, 3, 4, 5. EMPtek dipole for 6, 7 and a standard EMPtek bookshelf and 8,9. Mind you his room is really not that big. I just think it is a waste of money and overkill. What are the pros and cons of using towers all around versus speakers like the S-12s?

E9"

Is this $1,000-$1,500 per speaker or total for your L/C/R?? Some of those are in COMPLETELY different price ranges

Revel concerta: Look into the Revel F12. With the new Performa3 out, there might be some killer deals for these "older" models
Paradigm: Look at Monitor series or possibly Studio series bookshelves
Monitor Audio: Rx6 (possibly rx8 but I vaguely remember seeing owners liking the 6 more than the 8 for some reason)
EMPtek: Love mine, but they're out of stock on the e55 in both colors
ARX: A5 and matching center

The others I either don't know about or thought they were too much for your budget (If you're talking $1,500 total)

You can also look at: (this isn't all of them either...so keep reading up!)

Focal 814v/matching center
Ascend cmt340/sierra-1 bookshelf/matching center
Aperion VG bookshelves/VG center
plenty more but I'm getting bored of listing.

You say your main goals are HT and video games. Why not look into something like JTR speakers or some of the diy setups if you're into that sort of thing. Should be very dynamic and in your face for gaming/HT.

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #8 of 10 Old 04-02-2013, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

yea that 1000-1500 all depends. I mean retail for instance for the Revel F-12 is like 1500 but you can find them online for like 900. So I would say the price woulld be for all LCR.

The Ascend speakers look boss! I forgot I had their page saved to my favs.
As I Said above the Revel concerta line is my choice now. I especially love their S-12 cause you can switch between di/bi/mono. Something I did not see on their new performa brand surround.
The EMP I hear a lot about, but to be honest, my friend has them. I do not want to be a copy cat but a leader. Ya follow me there?
Do you know much about the ARX 55? That speaker I just found out about on here the other day. It seems like it is pretty good for the buck, and it's out of left field in my eyes.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-04-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

yea that 1000-1500 all depends. I mean retail for instance for the Revel F-12 is like 1500 but you can find them online for like 900. So I would say the price woulld be for all LCR.

The Ascend speakers look boss! I forgot I had their page saved to my favs.
As I Said above the Revel concerta line is my choice now. I especially love their S-12 cause you can switch between di/bi/mono. Something I did not see on their new performa brand surround.
The EMP I hear a lot about, but to be honest, my friend has them. I do not want to be a copy cat but a leader. Ya follow me there?
Do you know much about the ARX 55? That speaker I just found out about on here the other day. It seems like it is pretty good for the buck, and it's out of left field in my eyes.

The s12's and everything Revel makes is very nice. Some incredible sounding speakers and engineering. If you can find some F-12's and like them, get them. There's a set close to me for $900, but they're cherry (not black) so I didn't go after them.

What setup (including EMP speakers) does your buddy have? The Arx A5's are likely a very nice set of speakers also. Jon Lane (designer/owner/...not sure of proper title for him lol) seems like a great guy, with great goals for his speakers. Smart and always on here. Good thing to see that he supports and enjoys what he does! The Ascend 340's are also a nice set of speakers. Likely not as dynamic as the F-12's, e55's or a5's, but still a great speaker from what I hear.

If you factor in the stands for the 340's and shipping, you're pretty close the a5's. I don't think you can lose with either one of the 3 choices you've liked.

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #10 of 10 Old 04-04-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Sooner, thanks for your input bro!

My bud is using 4 EMPtek 55ti towers, the e5ci center, 2 pair of bipole e55wi, and e5bi bookshelf with one of HSU subs. Now, his room is not the biggest in anyway. I think it is overkill. But I have not heard his new EMPtek yet, only when he had his Klipches' up.

The ARX a5 do sound very sweet. I was thinking about them over the Revels'. Then I read one of John's new post on here and he is saying that the A6 is in prototype mode.

This is a never ending battle. SOOO many choices, companies, design, sounds, etc. This is very frustrating, almost worst than chosing a name for a newborn lol.

Like I said, I am using 10-12 year old SONYs' (Front SS-MF315, Center SS-CN490, Surrounds 2 pairs SS-B1000) with a HSU vtf-3 with turbo charger. I mean crap, I could get some brand new HTiaB and that would probably sound better then what I am currently using minus the sub, lol. The reciever is about 6 years old, ONKYO TX-SR605

After we finally moved into our first house about four months I have been searching like crazy! The room I am in now is above the garage and at the end of the house so the noise is pretty much concealed. The room size is 25'X16' with a high ceiling the has a 45 degree angle and levels off like so / ` ` ` ` \
This equipment will eventually move into a bigger room when the basement gets finished.

When I first started to look I had my heart set on Axiom (M60 towers, VP160 center and 2 pairs of the QS8 surrounds). Then I started to read a lot of threads about how the fronts are just not worth it / you could do better / the company is not like it used to be, etc. Plus, the towers, not sure about the center are rated at 4ohms. My reciever can not handle that, nor do I feel like buying a new one now. The QS8 on the other hand I read about is boss.
Then I came across the Revel Concerta line (F,C,S-12's) which I love all around, but fear that line is going to be discontinued soon? Then I start reading about ARX, Wharfendale, Anthony Gallo, Philharmonic, Focal, Ascend, Monitor Audio, Dynaudion, Salk. Which started to detour me from the Revels.

Like my 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, I want my speakers to be so awsome that they will still be around and in use after 15 years. As I said in my first post the primary use for my system is movies, followed by gaming. Cable, will be getting installed this weekend so that may change to primary as well. Music will be listen to as well, just not as severe as movies.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page