7.1? How about 5.2 + 2 Channel Stereo Instead? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Ok, finally picked up a pair of klipsch KF- 28 (Icon series) for my fronts, to replace the KB-15's.

I've been thinking........ instead of using the KB-15's for Surround Back Left & Right, already have a pair used for Surround Left & Right, maybe I'll connect them to an additional stereo amp instead. My theater room actually is the entire 1st floor (except kitchen and bath). Has anyone done this one before with back surrounds?

Normal 7.1 Surround Sound Speaker System Set Up

My 5.2 + stereo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision-master View Post

Normal 7.1 Surround Sound Speaker System Set Up

Aren't the back surrounds placed far too closely together here? In this case, they should be separated by slightly more than the width of the couch.
Quote:

My 5.2 + stereo?

What are these additional speakers playing?
post #3 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Same stuff running from the 5.2 system (Bluray, DVD and HTPC). I'm using an old sansui amp as my headphone amp, all I need to do is RCA audio out to the (2) speakers.

Of course they can be hooked as back surrounds too as my main receiver is 7.1?

All one needs to do with DVD players is connect HDMI to either the TV or amp/ receiver and also connect audio out (RCA) to and another reciever/ amp from DVD players. For my HTPC, I connect directly to the TV (HDMI) and run a splitter from the RCA jacks audio out, one set to the headphone amp and the other to the 7.1 receiver.

So, what I'm saying is you can run muti-imputs from the home theather system to stereo amps and have them all running at one time. smile.gif

FYI: The DEN is not a large room but has a ceiling height around 30 feet. smile.gif
post #4 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Same stuff running from the 5.2 system (Bluray, DVD and HTPC). I'm using an old sansui amp as my headphone amp, all I need to do is RCA audio out to the (2) speakers.

So you mean all of the content mixed down to 2-channel stereo. To tell you the truth (just my opinion), this would definitely be weird for home theater--not completely unlike listening with headphones, and plenty of people enjoy doing that as well as using modes that place 2-channel content into the surrounds, but with movies there is a picture at the front to focus on, therefore ideally dialogue and other things that are happening in front of the viewers should be out in front with the picture. If no other configuration would work acceptably for you, and the viewers way back there in your case need reinforcement of the front channels (particularly dialogue) due to the distance, then by all means do whatever works best for your situation--don't let my calling it weird and non-ideal stop you from getting the most out of your system for all of the viewers...but it still would be weird. wink.gif

By the way, another concern that I have is actually for the viewers in the front row because they are probably going to hear the front channel content being effectively "leaked" to the back of the room, and if this proves to be the case, then their home theater experience is going to be compromised, too. I'm afraid that the only way to know how well it works (or doesn't) for your situation would be to try it for yourself experimentally, because even if somebody else has done this before, their situation is unlikely to be exactly the same.
Quote:

Of course they can be hooked as back surrounds too as my main receiver is 7.1?

Yes, but the question is how to achieve the best overall surround sound for all of the viewers. A few of us (hopefully more will chime in) are tackling a somewhat similar situation in the following thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465554/speaker-type-and-placement-7-2/0_100

Your room is different, but the fundamental similarity is that there are two fairly widely spaced rows of seating, so maybe you'd get something out of reading it.
Quote:

FYI: The DEN is not a large room but has a ceiling height around 30 feet. smile.gif

That's more of a subwoofer issue, though, and you're probably going to need two big ones. smile.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 03-31-2013, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So you mean all of the content mixed down to 2-channel stereo. To tell you the truth (just my opinion), this would definitely be weird for home theater--not completely unlike listening with headphones, and plenty of people enjoy doing that as well as using modes that place 2-channel content into the surrounds, but with movies there is a picture at the front to focus on, therefore ideally dialogue and other things that are happening in front of the viewers should be out in front with the picture. If no other configuration would work acceptably for you, and the viewers way back there in your case need reinforcement of the front channels (particularly dialogue) due to the distance, then by all means do whatever works best for your situation--don't let my calling it weird and non-ideal stop you from getting the most out of your system for all of the viewers...but it still would be weird.

No, all the content will NOT be mixed down to two channels, just the two rear surrounds and of course those can be switched off. smile.gif

Also, I'm more concerned about music than movies as I almost never watch movies unless I find weird HD stuff from the net.

Yeah weird and unconventional - lol
post #6 of 6 Old 03-31-2013, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's more of a subwoofer issue, though, and you're probably going to need two big ones.

Yeah, got two 12" klipsch.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page