Definitive Technology BP7000SC verse BP3000TL - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all. I have a pair of BP3000TLs that I have had in a 7.2 configuration along with a CLR 3000 and BPV/X and some in walls back surrounds. I am getting the itch to upgrade front speakers. I have had the 3000s for over 10 years. I am considering moving into the 7000SCs. Unfortunately I can not find anyplace to demo them. Has anyone in the forum had experience with both and can you hear a diff between the two? Thanks.

Jim Parys

is Living the dream...

La Sirena III Theater

JVC DILA-RS95

Panamorph UH-480/ATH1 Anamorphic Lens

Stewart Ultramat 200, 120", 2.0 Gain, 16x9 Aspec Screen (Motorized)

SI Black Diamond Zero Edge G2, 144", 1.4 Gain, 2:35 Aspec)

Yamaha...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys View Post

Hi all. I have a pair of BP3000TLs that I have had in a 7.2 configuration along with a CLR 3000 and BPV/X and some in walls back surrounds. I am getting the itch to upgrade front speakers. I have had the 3000s for over 10 years. I am considering moving into the 7000SCs. Unfortunately I can not find anyplace to demo them. Has anyone in the forum had experience with both and can you hear a diff between the two? Thanks.

Something new? My feeling is that the BP7000SC will soon be history as well. The BP7001SC is already history.

I used to own the BP7000SC. My gut feeling is that even if they are better than the BP3000, it will be relatively insignificant due to diminishing returns.

Have you auditioned the new KEF R-series or Revel Performa3 speakers?

Are they better? Diminishing returns again. biggrin.gif

My thought is, just keep the BP3000 or go in a totally different direction like Revel or KEF.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-13-2013, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have just ordered a pair of BP7000SCs to replace my failing NHT VT-3s. I was concerned that the BP7000SC may soon be replaced by a new model but the Def Tech rep that my dealer talked with said that there were currently no plans to replace them. Of course this may not be accurate. I guess only time will tell.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-13-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post

I have just ordered a pair of BP7000SCs to replace my failing NHT VT-3s. I was concerned that the BP7000SC may soon be replaced by a new model but the Def Tech rep that my dealer talked with said that there were currently no plans to replace them. Of course this may not be accurate. I guess only time will tell.

I used to own BP7000SC, so I know how great they can sound. Honestly I enjoyed them immensely.

But towers are really nothing more than bookshelf speakers atop subwoofers.

In fact, a lot of high end speakers are modular in that the midrange/tweeter cabinet sits atop the bass/sub cabinet. The $60K RBH T8 and $4K Phil3 speakers and many other speakers are like this.

IOW, you could easily get monitors (like the RBH Signature SX-61, dealer cost $750/Pr) and put them on stands (like $60/pr wood stands) atop subs (like RBH Signature SX-1010N, dealer cost $750 each) and it would sound as great as the BP7000SC or most towers out there.

When I had the BP7000, I auditioned the RBH T2 speakers, which consists of a RBH monitor atop the RBH 1010 sub. And they were absolutely comparable.

But that's just one example. There are a lot of monitors and great subs to choose from. biggrin.gif

Anyway, the BP7000 is a great sounding speaker IMO. It's $5K, though. biggrin.gif

I just don't think you need to spend that much to sound as good. wink.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 08-14-2013, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I agree with AcuDTguy. I own a pair of BP7001's and if I could do it over again I would buy a pair of SVS PB12's and a pair of studio monitor 450's sitting on top and gotten far better bass response with comparable upper range for far less money.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-14-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1 View Post

I agree with AcuDTguy. I own a pair of BP7001's and if I could do it over again I would buy a pair of SVS PB12's and a pair of studio monitor 450's sitting on top and gotten far better bass response with comparable upper range for far less money.[/quot

I agree that the built in subs in the towers can be easily beaten by a free standing sub. That being said, 450's are not bipolar and would not produce the same sound pattern. The old non powered towers (bp 30, 20 etc) were the price/performance leaders.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp7000sc 120v Tower Speaker Single Left Channel Black , Definitive Technology Bp7000sc 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page