Looking for self amplified (can be hardwired with power), bluetooth, wall mountable patio speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-30-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so I've been searching online and on the site and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for; heck it may not exist, but I doubt that.

-What I've got, is a roughly 700 sq ft. covered patio in the back of my house.
-I have a sound bar setup in the living room just inside from the patio.
-And I've got a desire to listen to music while out BBQ or just hanging out.

Right now, I have a Logitech Bluetooth adapter hooked to my Sony Soundbar setup in the living room and my iPhone 4S streaming Pandora.

It works OK, but frankly the soundbar just doesn't get loud enough sometimes for my needs, and you have to have it nearly maxed out volume wise to hear it outside, which then means whoever is inside prepping food has to deal with it being so loud. Plus when its really hot outside we like to keep the windows closed to the house to keep the A/C unit from working too hard.

The second option I have is taking my iHome portable speaker out and setting it on the table. Again it works decent, but what I really want, is a pair of outdoor speakers mounted to the beam on the awning that I can connect my iPhone to directly via bluetooth OR Wifi if thats how they do it, and stream directly through them without the need of a separate receiver.

Does a setup like that even exist? Any other ideas?? I can run A/C out there pretty easily.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-27-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

BUMP
post #3 of 8 Old 04-27-2013, 02:26 PM

Liked: 15
Check KRK Rokit monitors
post #4 of 8 Old 04-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Only ones I can think of right off hand that might work for you are the Creative ZiiSound D5x. I don't own these nor have I actually heard them. Creative is also taking a page from the Bose playbook and NOT publishing and technical data on these speakers, so they are probably CRAP like ALL of the other BT speakers out there.

A better option than BT speakers would be to get a decent pair of active monitors, like the KRK mentioned above, and get a BT speaker hub for them. Logitech and Belkin make a number of these that will even do HD audio and they range from $30 to $60.

I see that you already have the Logitech audio adapter. Just get another one of those and a good set of powered outdoor monitors.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #5 of 8 Old 04-28-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Make it easy on yourself. Use conventional outdoor speakers, not powered ones. There's a million choices. It's much easier to run speaker wire (lower voltage) than to run electrical power.

Inside - anywhere can run wires - you can have an amp and a bluetooth receiver.

Since you mentioned iPhone - Airplay is another option, integrated into a lot of apps. Maybe one of these:
http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

Or maybe even better, hook the amp to the same source as the soundbar.

Use one of these or an old receiver:
http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-100a-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B004JK8BDK
post #6 of 8 Old 04-30-2013, 10:55 AM

I am kind of looking to do a similar thing. I have an outdoor patio that i want to use my iPhone to push music too.

I have two outdoor speakers (they look like rocks) and i plan on powering them with an amp (something like the Dayton Audio DTA-100a).

Getting the audio from my iPhone to the amp is where i am not sure, what i want to do yet. Either bluetooth or airplay. My worry with bluetooth is the range would not work (signal passing through the wall of the house). Airplay might be a better fit for me, i have a good WiFi signal on the patio.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 AM

Ok this is what i have decided on.

I found the a Refurbished AirPort Express Base Station on the apple website for $69. Also found this amp "Dayton Audio DTA-100a" for $96 on amazon.

I allready have the speakers (HiFi Works 30020 HFW 6.5-Inch Rock Speakers) so all i still need is some speaker wire and i think i am good to go.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-12-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Well after lots of back and forth, I decided that I was going to give up on the permanently mounted outdoor speakers like I had originally planned. Reasons, A) I live in the Pacific NW and we only get a few months a year to really be out there to enjoy them. B) I didn't want to have to buy another Amp, run wires through the wall from outside, and then buy a Bluetooth adapter.

So I started looking at decent "portable" ( in " " because it didn't have to be battery powered, just mobile enough to take inside and out & have Bluetooth capabilities) speaker system. We actually just went to AZ to attend a small outdoor wedding, and the groom had bought a JBL OnBeat Venue system to play music off of his iPod during the reception. I was blown away with how loud this little system was! So I found a decent deal on Amazon and bought one for the patio.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098FAH7O/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

In case anyone else is interested in checking out something like this.

Cheers!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page