Best amp for Klipsch RB 51 II Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-31-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, massively technologically challenged and in need of some help in choosing the right amp for my RB 51 II speakers.

The speakers are for my bedroom, which is pretty big (5m x5m) with high ceilings. All I want to be able to do is to play music from my ipod or laptop and get sound that fills the room well at low, mid and high frequency. Ideally I don't want to spend more than £200 as I've only just recovered from buying the speakers...

The RB-51s are 8-ohm speakers with a max output of 75W.

That's it! Any help would be really appreciated as my speakers are just collecting dust at the moment while I try and work out what to get!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-01-2013, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Go on! Someone gimme something.. I'm dying here!
post #3 of 6 Old 04-01-2013, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Those speakers are extremely efficient and can be driven by any decent receiver from Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc. Almost all of them will provide at least 80W per channel with 2 channels driven which is more than enough for your speakers. The bigger issue is your desire for room filling deep sound. As someone who own the RB61s I can tell you that you will not get a lot of bass from those speakers. It is the nature of bookshelf speakers. You are probably going to want to get a subwoofer to help with the low end frequencies. A couple of ideas include a BIC F12, Polk Audio PSW505, and a Klipsch RW12D with the Klipsch sub being the best of those choices. Hope this helps.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-01-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemad5 View Post

The bigger issue is your desire for room filling deep sound. As someone who own the RB61s I can tell you that you will not get a lot of bass from those speakers. It is the nature of bookshelf speakers.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Colemad. I just bought a pair of RB-61 IIs (not to be dismissive, but these are kind of "slumming" it for me...lol; and are really just for my HT). But before going to the not-yet-finished HT...I decided to give them a test-drive, in my Office system.

I was pretty surprised, by how small they played. Klipsch has a reputation for being bright; and they certainly are that. But I at least thought I'd get some solid "boom", to counter-balance that. For a 6.5 driver; this speaker has surprisingly thin-sounding bass. My regular Office monitor...the Monitor Audio RX-1; far out-punched it, even though it's smaller. frown.gif

So...I wouldn't set your expectations too high; depending on what you're used to. But Colemad is also right; they are efficient, so you don't need much to drive them. Depending on your needs/budget...maybe something like this NuForce DDA-100 or this Teac A-H01?

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #5 of 6 Old 04-01-2013, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I'm afraid I have to agree with Colemad. I just bought a pair of RB-61 IIs (not to be dismissive, but these are kind of "slumming" it for me...lol; and are really just for my HT).

Lol, no worries. Actually I have the RB-61 IIs as my surround speakers in my HT set. I have the RF-82 IIs and RC-62 II as my front sound stage. I use that system for over 90% HT usage and those speakers coupled with an SVS subwoofer sound great. For music I actually have an older set of B&W monitors that I use near field. I did happen to get the 61's before the rest of my system and hooked them up in two channel to see how they sounded and you are correct. They lacked the punch I was used to hearing even keeping my expectations in check because of their bookshelf architecture.

post #6 of 6 Old 04-02-2013, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 257
You need a subwoofer if you want any real bass.

Any receiver rated 60 watts or more is enough for only 2 channels.

10 watts of power will give well over 90 dbA sound level, which is VERY loud.
Reply Speakers