Please Advice Floorstanding speakers for Music - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 34 Old 07-13-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi mogrub, i have the theos now 2 feet away from the wall (2 feet from the back of the speakers, the woofer, not the panel), i have been playing with toe in, now i use the flashlight trick, ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsBUFCsyP4s ), i liked them from the start!, i also have definitive technology , and i like them very much but i prefer 100 times more my theos for music, they are very detailed and dynamic, a lot of people say that off axis they sound bad, truth is they sound like any other boxed speaker you are not sitting in front of them , if i play music from my def techs and im sitting in another room for example and i play the same music with the theos, i can tell you they sound about the same, still good to me though.The key is the media you are using, there is well recorded music , and there are awful recordings ( Some recordings lack bass, others they sound mazing! : Pat Metheny, Alison Krauss, CHUCHO VALDES, Daft Punk - Random Access Memories, Dave Matthews, Bruce Cockburn, Al Di Meola, Borah Bergmann Trio, Esbjorn Svensson Trio, Entheogenic - Anthropomorphic, if you can get your hands on any of these you will see what im talking about )...

This is how i have the Theos : Theos with audioquest rocket 33 bi-wire cable ( I didn't want to spend a fortune on cable, wanted to try first if it would make a difference on cheaper cables, to me it does, but i wouldn't justify overpriced brands, i would say anything proportional to the price of your system), Im using an Emotiva DAC (xda-2), and Emotiva Amplifier (xpa-2), i don't have a lot of experience on expensive amplifiers or DAC, but to me this combo sound pretty decent, i like it a lot, i change the stock cables for Pangea cables ac-9 on the amp and ac-14se on the DAC, My music is mostly FLAC files on a hard drive locally connected to an HTPC on a Thermaltake Dock station with an esata cable, and a home server, i use XBMC as an appliance for the HTPC, and WASAPI mode to reproduce the music files( i dont really notice a difference playing from the local drive or streaming over ethernet cable), im also using this : Ifi Iusb Power http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/iUSB.html, im using pangea USB cables ( i place an order on the ifi GEMINI cable http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/Gemini.html, im waiting for it ), now with all this, the Theos sound amazing, and without all the mumbo jumbo cable they sound pretty good too, but i gotta say they really shine the way i have it now, better than anything i have owned, when you go electrostats its just more detailed sound, you really get to hear things you don't hear with other speakers, for instance in a jazz live recording i have , there is the sound of someone coughing, and a lot of other background noises very detailed try the Cowboy Junkies The Trinity Sessions..The bass is very good on good recordings, i tried Kanye West - Yeezus and Watch the Throne album to test it, and the BASS is there!, very proportional, the bass in the theos wont try to overpower the music, like i said is a very proportional, detailed sound..
mogrub likes this.

DENON 4520CI - DEF TECH 8060ST - DT 8060HD  - DT 8040ST - DT 8040BP  - DT SC4000 Sub - EMOTIVA XPA-5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 07-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
I haven't followed this thread, but just wanted to say thanks for the pictures and impressions. Lots of people come here for advice, make a purchase, but never post their final decisions or pictures.

Enjoy your new toys!

post #33 of 34 Old 07-13-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Thanks NewHTbuyer!, thats the idea to share, i wish i had come across a thread like this when i was looking for a new set of speakers, i can tell you it was really hard, but we learn something new every day, i will post more recent pictures soon, thanks to all that helped, and if i can be of any more help to anyone just ask..

Its always nice to see what other people have, and how they set it up, sometimes it gives you an idea on new things to try, or sometimes you have lets say a set of speakers configured a way, and someone else have those same speakers with a different approach and you can only modify what you already have to make it better!, we should all take the time and share with others what we have, no matter the price, someone out there is looking..

DENON 4520CI - DEF TECH 8060ST - DT 8060HD  - DT 8040ST - DT 8040BP  - DT SC4000 Sub - EMOTIVA XPA-5

post #34 of 34 Old 07-13-2013, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Great summary on positioning, thanks a bunch!

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page