Upgrading to Definitive Tech Pro Monitor 60's...difference? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, about a year ago I bought a Yamaha YHT-397 HTiB and recently have wanted to upgrade the speakers. I found on ebay a set of 5 Def Tech Pro Monitor 60 brand new for 150 dollars shipped. I am keeping the sub that came with the HTiB because it fits my bass needs quite well, its just the speakers it came with have been very lacking for me.

Now, how much of a upgrade are these Def Tech speakers over the stock HTiB YHT-397's ? Am I going to hear a tremendous difference or only a slight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Bump.

Any ideas?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by eVo7 View Post

Hello, about a year ago I bought a Yamaha YHT-397 HTiB and recently have wanted to upgrade the speakers. I found on ebay a set of 5 Def Tech Pro Monitor 60 brand new for 150 dollars shipped. I am keeping the sub that came with the HTiB because it fits my bass needs quite well, its just the speakers it came with have been very lacking for me.

Now, how much of a upgrade are these Def Tech speakers over the stock HTiB YHT-397's ? Am I going to hear a tremendous difference or only a slight?

You appear to migrating from front speakers with 2 1/2" woofers to front speakers with 3 1/2 woofers. To me that is like upgrading my daily driver automobile from a Aveo to a Focus when I consider a Fusion to be about the minimum car I want to drive.

I'm sure that the humble nature of all of the equipment on the table is allowing people to easily restrain themselves from commenting further.

I have a hard time considering anything under 6 1/2 inches to actually be a woofer. 3 1/2 inches is about 1/2 inch shy of what I think makes a good midrange driver.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I have a hard time considering anything under 6 1/2 inches to actually be a woofer. 3 1/2 inches is about 1/2 inch shy of what I think makes a good midrange driver.
I use fours and they're fine, but there are six of them in my center and eight in each of my L/R mains. smile.gif
I consider 5 1/2 inch woofers the minimum acceptable size for a single woofer cab, fours the minimal acceptable for a dual woofer cab. Anything smaller is strictly for those who care more about looks than sounding good.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Just a FYI, these are in my theater room which is rather small. Which is part of the reason I am not upgrading the sub.

I believe the speakers are also going from a 1/2" tweeter to a 1" tweeter as well. I'm not really concerned about bass/mids from the speakers, more on clarity when I crank it a bit.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Bump, I guess no thoughts?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I don't think that will be much of a change. the front speakers are all too small.

I think that you should consider getting a pair of front speakers that will deliver a lot more sound.

I suggest that you spend around $100 on a pair of Sony SSB-1000 speakers to replace your current front speaker pair.

That should be a significant improvement.

If you really want some great sound, a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers would be a huge improvement, but that would be $349.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

As soon as I move into my new house we already have a theater room picked out and ill be upgrading my fronts to Definitive Technology Floor standers most likely, and a larger definitive technology center.

I've already noticed with these new def techs that I can crank it much louder without them distorting like my yamaha speakers did.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by eVo7 View Post

I doubt anyone has actually heard the difference between these two. The Deftech's might be an upgrade, but as others mentioned, I probably would have stepped up to something with larger woofers and a little more dynamic. You most likely are going up a step in quality, but by how much is hard to say.

And there is a lot more to a speaker than the size of the woofer.