Speaker Upgrade (~$500/pr range) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-01-2013, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster here. I've been doing some research for a decent speaker upgrade to my 2ch music setup. Currently I'm using a pair of BIC DV62si's, and while they sound pretty good to me now, I'm sure I'll be able to tell the difference with some higher end speakers. I have them connected to an Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver and am also using a pair of Emotiva Ultra 12 subs. I'm only using this for music right now, but I would like to eventually have a full 7.1 HT setup in here. I mainly listen to jazz, acoustic, country, classic rock and some folk rock. Most of the time I'll listen to FLAC or 320kbps mp3's through an Audinst HUD-MINI DAC, but I've also been building a decent collection of vinyl albums and have started recording to my grandfather's Akai GX-635D reel to reel. I've attached a floor plan of my current setup if that helps any. I'm leaning towards staying with bookshelf speakers after reading that (along with a good sub) you can get better sound quality for the price vs floor-standing speakers. But I'm not against any recommendations for floor-standing speakers either. So far I've seen a lot of great reviews for the Arx A1b's and the Aperion Intimus 5B's, but I'm sure there are other great ones out there too. I'd really just like to get the best "bang for my buck" and I'd like to keep it around $500 for the pair. I can go up a little bit from that (although down would be better rolleyes.gif) but it would have to be for a huge leap up in SQ. So for yet another best speakers for $$ thread, any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-01-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by xabba View Post

So far I've seen a lot of great reviews for the Arx A1b's and the Aperion Intimus 5B's, but I'm sure there are other great ones out there too. I'd really just like to get the best "bang for my buck" and I'd like to keep it around $500 for the pair. I can go up a little bit from that (although down would be better rolleyes.gif) but it would have to be for a huge leap up in SQ. So for yet another best speakers for $$ thread, any recommendations?

From the $300-500 range Arx A1b, Ascend 170SE, and Aperion 5B would probably be the top choices, and HSU bookshelf. Although I'm biased toward Arx and like the approach the designer has taken, not fancy but loaded with technology and very high quality components and they sound great too. I don't have any experience with Ascend 170SE but the Arx and Ascend almost really seems to be a toss up with neither one winning or lossing. The 5B would be the nicest looking one for sure and sounds fairly nice too. I would say price really doesn't equal performance, example would be my old $500 Axiom M22 V2 was not up to the same performance level as the Arx A1 bookshelfs and those were the smaller A1s, the new A1b's are much improved and a little larger.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

From the $300-500 range Arx A1b, Ascend 170SE, and Aperion 5B would probably be the top choices, and HSU bookshelf. Although I'm biased toward Arx and like the approach the designer has taken, not fancy but loaded with technology and very high quality components and they sound great too. I don't have any experience with Ascend 170SE but the Arx and Ascend almost really seems to be a toss up with neither one winning or lossing. The 5B would be the nicest looking one for sure and sounds fairly nice too. I would say price really doesn't equal performance, example would be my old $500 Axiom M22 V2 was not up to the same performance level as the Arx A1 bookshelfs and those were the smaller A1s, the new A1b's are much improved and a little larger.

+1 These are all great options. You might also consider the Focal Chorus 705V or the PSB Image B6.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #4 of 8 Old 04-01-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks guys! I'll definitely read up on those recommendations. Greatly appreciated!! biggrin.gif
post #5 of 8 Old 04-02-2013, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Don't overlook the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 speakers which may be the best you can get for under $500.

They really are excellent.

Focal is basically a car speaker company, and has very few dealers for home products (and not many home products, actually).

I would be concerned about product support down the road with them. They may quit making home speakers altogether.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-02-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Don't overlook the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 speakers which may be the best you can get for under $500.

They really are excellent.

Focal is basically a car speaker company, and has very few dealers for home products (and not many home products, actually).

I would be concerned about product support down the road with them. They may quit making home speakers altogether.

Link??? Or just more commsysman "truthiness?" eek.gif

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-02-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
He did the same post in another thread a few days ago. Here what I could find on Focal not making home audio and having no dealers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

http://www.focal.com/en/88-high-fidelity-home-cinema
http://www.spearitsound.com/cart.cgi
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/FOCAL814V/FOCAL-Chorus-814V-716v-Dual-6-Floorstanding-Speakers-Gloss-Black-Pair/1.html

They have 7 lines of speakers ranging from $1000 pair to well into 6 figure Utopia towers. $100,000 plus.

http://www.audiophilia.com/wp/?p=5965

Heres your beloved Stereophile, asking if Focal Utopia's are the best speakers in the world. http://www.stereophile.com/rmaf2008/101408focalbest/index.html Don't know how well a pair of 500lb + towers would work in a car audio setup. rolleyes.gif

Oh and theres 13 Focal dealers in Southern California alone, ranging from Studio monitors, Headphones/PC Desktop, Car Audio, Hometheater, Custom install.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-02-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Other $500 options ...

KEF Q300 (B-stock from accessories4less)

Monitor Audio BX2

If you can bump the budget up to the 775 range ... the Monitor Audio RX1 and Ascend Sierra 1 (B-stock) are both superb for music.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page