wall mountable speakers under $1000 Def Tec 1000 or MartinLogan Monitor 4 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-02-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 72
So I am in the process of getting a new house and I have a good sized room about 22' x 15 with 25' ceilings. I recently got a onkyo tx-nr515 that I am running polk new monitor t65 fronts , t35 rears a cs20 center and a old but still working aiwa 150 watt rms sub. I think the system sounds pretty decent for movies and music but the center and tower speakers are large and I really want to go with something that is smaller. I understand there is no replacement for displacement but was hoping for some suggestions for a smaller sized set of speakers that would sound close to the current setup I have. I would also be willing to get a new receiver if needed. I went with the Onkyo because of the bluetooth, love the ability to play music from my iphone while its in my pocket and i don't have to buy an airport.

Ideally I would like something a bit less obtrusive for this room as its right off my kitchen and it will primarily be for watching tv and listen to music while cooking.

I was thinking of getting some book shelf sized speakers something that I can mount on the walls with a center and a sub. The sub can be large in size so its more the speakers i care about. I was checking out some Def tecs ,studiomonitor 350 and a matching center with maybe a klipsch rw12d sub. But I was hoping to keep the speakers under $1000.

I though maybe the energy take five classics, a Jamo setup, the def tec procinima 800? or maybe make up a 5.1 with piecing together some book shelf's and a sub.

I would be open to suggestions of any brand, unfortunately I don't have many speaker stores in my area so cant go listen to different setups live.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-02-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 404
5 of these. Available in white also.

http://www.nhthifi.com/Home-Theater-Absolute-On-Wall-Speaker-Black?sc=12&category=7166

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #3 of 5 Old 04-02-2013, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 96
+1
Another option is the KEF Q100. It is front ported and comes with a bracket for wall mounting - $400 a pair at accessories4less. The matching center, the Q200c, is $329 so that would put the total at $1129. Or you can look for a single, fifth Q100 to use as a center (they are concentric drivers so you can lay them on their side as a center). I mention the KEF's because they will put out more sound (without losing their composure) than the NHT, and you have a somewhat large space.

Another option is the Ascend HTM-200. It is sealed and wall mountable - $770 for five speakers. They have a very nice sound, but, like the NHT, I'm not sure how well they can fill that room.

A lot depends on your listening habits. If your listening is at moderate volumes then some of the wall-mountable speakers should work fine.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-03-2013, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I decided to take the drive to the closest best buy. After spending what felt like an eternity there I like two setups in their listening room. The Def Tec 1000 promonitor for fronts a procenter 1000 for center and two pro monitor 800s for the rears. Sounded pretty decent at loud volume and had a more full sound.

But I also really liked the sound and look of the Martinlogan mointors 4's and the 6 center. They had the 2's hooked up for the rear but I wasnt sure if I waould go to the 2's for rears as they were only 100 watts RMS and I would like to have atleast 150rms all around. Granted my current reciever is only pushing 85 per channel but I may upgrade that to get a cleaner sound. Was liking that Pioneer Pioneer SC-1222-K http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117412 seems to have a lot of power and I like the idea of air play. I may also go with the onkyo nr616 as its only 400 now.

The Martinlogans sounded cleaner, crisper I couldnt make up my mind.

Since I havent heard of KEF"s let alone HEARD them. Any idea how they would compare to the two I have mentioned or any idea which would be a better speaker for my type space? I am assuming how it sounds in the small sound room will be different than what it sounds like at my larger listening area.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-03-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

+1
Another option is the KEF Q100. It is front ported and comes with a bracket for wall mounting - $400 a pair at accessories4less. The matching center, the Q200c, is $329 so that would put the total at $1129. Or you can look for a single, fifth Q100 to use as a center (they are concentric drivers so you can lay them on their side as a center). I mention the KEF's because they will put out more sound (without losing their composure) than the NHT, and you have a somewhat large space.

Another option is the Ascend HTM-200. It is sealed and wall mountable - $770 for five speakers. They have a very nice sound, but, like the NHT, I'm not sure how well they can fill that room.

A lot depends on your listening habits. If your listening is at moderate volumes then some of the wall-mountable speakers should work fine.

Thanks for the link, they have some good deal on that site. What do you think about the KEF Kht3005se I found someone selling the set for 800?
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page