Speaker connection advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 04-03-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Dell 5.1 Surround Sound system. I used to have it plugged into my tv and it worked wonderfully. I, then, bought a Seiki tv. ...but, the connector is too large to plug into the tv. I would really like not to have to buy a new sound system, just because the jack doesn't fit. I wish I knew the proper names/ sizes for the connectors. Could anyone tell me how to make this work? Please, let me know if you need more information. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-03-2013, 12:22 PM

Liked: 11
Is it HDMI that you're talking about? Do you know the model number for this Dell 5.1 system?

- Brennan, OSD Audio
post #3 of 21 Old 04-03-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

MMS 5650 is model number. Not sure about HDMI? How do I know?
post #4 of 21 Old 04-03-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Seiki tv is HDMI.
post #5 of 21 Old 04-03-2013, 01:29 PM

I don't think you'll be able to connect the two. The 5.1 is intended for computers, hence the VGA connector.

See 3rd image on this link

You're gonna have to update your system to be compatible with HDMI.

- Brennan, OSD Audio
post #6 of 21 Old 04-03-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

post #7 of 21 Old 04-03-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

If you are referring to the "Center" connector in 3rd image, cable ends in this sort of connector (see my photo). Is this something that can be converted? It worked on my old tv. My old tv was not HD, however. Don't know if it matters for audio.
My tv has a "computer audio" jack that the connector fits in. But, no sound comes out of the speaker when I connect it.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-03-2013, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Bummer. I guess the problem is not my connectors. I think I will have to upgrade my speakers, as you advise. Thanks so much for your time and help, Brennan.
post #9 of 21 Old 04-03-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxfire View Post

Seiki tv is HDMI.

What is the model number?
http://www.seikidigital.com/products/televisions.php
(That way we can lookup the manual and/or pics and advise you.)

-Max
post #10 of 21 Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan.OSD View Post

I don't think you'll be able to connect the two. The 5.1 is intended for computers, hence the VGA connector.

That isn't a VGA connector, even though it looks similar. It's a common connector (DE9) wired up by Dell in a proprietary way to connect the center speaker to the sub unit. The center speaker sub unit also has common 3.5mm (1/8") plugs to connect to an audio system, that onyxfire shows in his picture.

Here the speaker system manual, that shows how to connect it to a computer:
http://www.manualowl.com/swfviewer/viewer.php?FitPageOnLoad=false&ZoomToolsVisible=true&ViewModeToolsVisible=true&NavToolsVisible=true&Scale=0%2E6&ZoomInterval=0%2E1&localeChain=en_US&SwfFile=%2Fmanualswf%2Ephp%3Fid%3D293038%26manual_type%3Dproduct%26d%3Dd22eb2c2ada70016be359c8ca883f46f&FullScreenAsMaxWindow=true&ZoomTime=0%2E5&FitWidthOnLoad=true&ProgressiveLoading=true&SearchToolsVisible=true&CursorToolsVisible=true&ZoomTransition=easeOut

So we just need to figure out what analog audio outputs are present on the TV, and help onyxfire make the connection. We aren't going to get true surround sound, but he didn't have that with his old TV, either.

-Max
post #11 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

post #12 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My tv has a "computer audio" jack that the connector fits in. But, no sound comes out of the speaker when I connect it.

The "PC Audio" jack is an input on the TV. It is for connecting your computer to your TV, where the computer is the source, and the sound is played out of the TV speakers.

Some of those Seiki TVs do not have ANY audio outputs, in which case no speakers can be connected to the TV.
(You can still use the TV in a system that has external speakers, but the TV is just a monitor in such a system, not a source. Most enthusiasts run their systems this way, but casual users are often surprised that they need a receiver and can't use the TV as a source.)

-Max
post #13 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mine is the 22" Seiki model:SE22FS http://www.seikidigital.com/Manuals/SC221FS_UM_TI12056.pdf I don't care if I have true surround sound.
(Quite honestly, the picture is great on the Seiki, but the sound on it is muted and difficult to make out what people are saying without an external speaker.)
post #14 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

(sorry this was double post and won't let me delete)
post #15 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper View Post

That isn't a VGA connector, even though it looks similar. It's a common connector (DE9) wired up by Dell in a proprietary way to connect the center speaker to the sub unit. The center speaker sub unit also has common 3.5mm (1/8") plugs to connect to an audio system, that onyxfire shows in his picture.

Here the speaker system manual, that shows how to connect it to a computer:
http://www.manualowl.com/swfviewer/viewer.php?FitPageOnLoad=false&ZoomToolsVisible=true&ViewModeToolsVisible=true&NavToolsVisible=true&Scale=0%2E6&ZoomInterval=0%2E1&localeChain=en_US&SwfFile=%2Fmanualswf%2Ephp%3Fid%3D293038%26manual_type%3Dproduct%26d%3Dd22eb2c2ada70016be359c8ca883f46f&FullScreenAsMaxWindow=true&ZoomTime=0%2E5&FitWidthOnLoad=true&ProgressiveLoading=true&SearchToolsVisible=true&CursorToolsVisible=true&ZoomTransition=easeOut

So we just need to figure out what analog audio outputs are present on the TV, and help onyxfire make the connection. We aren't going to get true surround sound, but he didn't have that with his old TV, either.

-Max

Ah, I see now. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

onyxfire - I don't think you'll be able to do it with that 5.1 system. You may have to invest in a home theater receiver. Do you have any kind of budget for a new 5.1 setup?

- Brennan, Outdoor Speaker Depot
post #16 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Don't really have any kind of budget for a 5.1 system at the moment. If I did, I would probably just buy a sound bar that they have at Kmart on sale for $59. I have regular stereo speakers, I might try to hook up. I have wireless Sony headphones, but they aren't holding charge for more than 10 minutes. I am thinking I just need new rechargeable batteries to put in the headset so they hold a charge longer. I stereo headphones with a much larger jack than any on my tv, so that is probably out. Perhaps, I should just try to sell all of this stuff on eBay and use money to purchase a soundbar.
post #17 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you have a cable or satellite TV box? Or rather, what source do you watch on the TV? I am wondering if you can get the audio signal from the source device instead of from the TV. But that doesn't work if you are using the TVs internal tuner.

-Max
post #18 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mine is the 22" Seiki model:SE22FS http://www.seikidigital.com/Manuals/SC221FS_UM_TI12056.pdf I don't care if I have true surround sound.
(Quite honestly, the picture is great on the Seiki, but the sound on it is muted and difficult to make out what people are saying without an external speaker.)

Good news: your TV has an analog audio output. Plug the speakers into the headphone jack.
post #19 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Max. I actually do have a receiver box. I have Comcast. I will see what I can do with the two options you gave me. I will eventually buy a new surround sound. Alas, I was a poor child born in the ghetto. Okay, really I'm just broke at the moment, so I'm trying to make do. I really appreciate all of your help.
post #20 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, Max! I don't have a jack that works in the back of my Comcast box. (I don't have digital, only basic. ...maybe, that's why?) Anyway, the headphone jack works just great with my 5.1 system. I can actually make out the words people are saying on my Seiki tv, now. I really hope Seiki will work on that problem in future models. I've heard it is a common problem in the smaller size flat screens, though. I've, also, heard that smaller screens are becoming a thing of the past, anyway. I don't have a big space so a larger screen would be overkill for me. Anyway, I am a very happy camper, now. Thank you, again, for all of your help.
post #21 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad you got it working onyxfire. biggrin.gif

If you ever want to connect to the Comcast box, it probably has analog RCA outputs, which you could connect to with a cable like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5612&seq=1&format=2

(As always, post the Comcast cable box make & model and we could lookup pictures and/or the manual and tell you for sure. smile.gif)

-Max
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page