Help/opinions for selecting bathroom speaker(s) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-06-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Onkyo TX-NR809 AV receiver and I want to run zone 2 to my bathroom.

Most of my time in the bathroom, is spent actually in the bath, as I like a nice soak, I also have a TV in the wall, at the foot of the bath. I was thinking of mounting a single stereo speaker in the ceiling, above the centre of the bath, so that I hear both channels and it sound like the sound is coming from something like the direction of the TV when I am watching it.

I also listen to music when I am in the bathroom/bath and, although I am not a complete audiophile, I like a good quality sound with a reasonable amount of bass and also capacity to crank it up when the mood takes me. As such I have been considering Proficient C800TT (£230) or C850TT (£300), specifications are similar with the exceptions being that the 800 has a graphite cone and is rated at 150RMS, whereas the 850 has a Kevlar cone and is rated at 175W RMS.

I am tempted to go with the more expensive speaker, but was wondering if that was going over the top for the size of my bathroom (10’x6’) and amplifier power. Any opinions on whether there’s any point in be spending the extra money or alternative speaker(s) or arrangement would be most welcome, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-06-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Do you want the in-tub or in-bowl models?

biggrin.gif
post #3 of 10 Old 04-06-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

I should've said powered zone 2!!
post #4 of 10 Old 04-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Yeah...anything I choose may be considered crappy... Puts any suggestions in a bad light smile.gif
post #5 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone got anything sensible/useful to say on this please!?
post #6 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Wish I could help and I sort of get-it. I was on my first ever business trip to Singapore a few months ago.

I walked into my hotel room and about passed out!! It was the most incredible hotel room I have ever been in and much better than the rooms they put me up in when traveling in the states.

But it was ultra-modern and the bathroom wall between bedroom was all glass. I could see the big screen from the bathroom and they had speakers pumping in the display sound in the bathroom. I could watch tv thru wall of glass and hear from speakers while in tub or when shaving I could look in mirror and see display and listen to CNN.

Sorry didn't do the tub thing but glancing at CNN while shaving, brushing teeth, showering etc and having the sound pumped into bathroom speakers was amazing.

I say if your into many baths and perhaps a glass of wine while soaking why should it be different than any room of the house. Go for the best you can.

If I ever can build a home of my own I would do the wall of glass in master and speakers. It was awesome.

Singapore was an incredible visit. Super modern. Loved it...

Rick

post #7 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddlimbs View Post

Has anyone got anything sensible/useful to say on this please!?

I'm a dealer of anything from entry level to what many would consider very high end gear. Excluding the car and when I am in our design center I listen to content (ESPN radio, Rhapsody, etc.) the most in our master bathroom when getting ready in the morning, showering, etc. So, I can totally 100% relate!

Because of my line of work I am fortunate enough to be able to basically get (nearly) anything I want audio wise. I went with this as my bathroom speaker: http://www.jamo.com/speaker-types/installation/?sku=I-O6.52DVCA2FG It sounds great in such a hard surfaced environment, isn't terribly expensive, and is made to handle high moisture. Everything you'd want in an in-ceiling, bathroom speaker.

Jamo I/O 6.52DVCA2FG , MSRP: $179
post #8 of 10 Old 04-08-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
I am temped to go for the highest spec. speaker, I was a little concerned that I might be going over the top, but there's nothing worse that spending money, then being disappointed and wishing that you'd gone up another level!

It doesn't appear that the Jamos are available in the UK! frown.gif

I have considered speakers from the Speakercraft Aim8 range, but they are dearer for what you get, e.g. they only have poly cones, but this might be what makes them suitable for use in the bathroom!

Going to make a call to the supplier today to find out it the Proficients are moisture proof.

The other speaker that I have considered is Niles CM850Si which is suitable for bathrooms, but doesn't have frequency adjustment switches that the Proficients have, also the low end frequency response is 50hz vs 28hz. I like the idea of frequency adjustment switches because I will be utilising a speaker switch to distribute zone 2 to several rooms and I will be able to tune each room on the spears as well as on the amp, once set, I shouldn't have to keep changing the tone on the amp each time I change rooms!
post #9 of 10 Old 04-08-2013, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddlimbs View Post

Thanks guys,
I am temped to go for the highest spec. speaker, I was a little concerned that I might be going over the top, but there's nothing worse that spending money, then being disappointed and wishing that you'd gone up another level!

It doesn't appear that the Jamos are available in the UK! frown.gif

I have considered speakers from the Speakercraft Aim8 range, but they are dearer for what you get, e.g. they only have poly cones, but this might be what makes them suitable for use in the bathroom!

Going to make a call to the supplier today to find out it the Proficients are moisture proof.

The other speaker that I have considered is Niles CM850Si which is suitable for bathrooms, but doesn't have frequency adjustment switches that the Proficients have, also the low end frequency response is 50hz vs 28hz. I like the idea of frequency adjustment switches because I will be utilising a speaker switch to distribute zone 2 to several rooms and I will be able to tune each room on the spears as well as on the amp, once set, I shouldn't have to keep changing the tone on the amp each time I change rooms!

THAT is shocking! Jamo at one point was one of the largest speaker companies in Europe. I consider it a slightly upgraded version of Polk on a lot of their line. That is truly a bummer.

I, personally, would stay away from Speakercraft stuff. Is Sonance available to you? That's an excellent, excellent architectural speaker. From my experience from with the Sonance line, I believe I am going to be switching to that brand for a lot of our architectural speaker applications NOT named BG Radia. I will be bringing some in in the next week or so and can give you my impressions if you can hold off a bit (and if they are even available in the UK?) ? I will say this about Sonance, there's not a dog in the line and they make a quality product with excellent support.

Here's a link to their single point stereo speakers: http://sonance.com/products/speakers#18 They have 20 different in-ceiling of this kind to choose from.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-08-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Suppliers over here only seem to stock a limited range of Jamo stuff, I have in fact, just bought some Jamo Ic610s for my bedroom from here:http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/5492/jamo-ic-610-fg-ceiling-speakers-pair-
I might actually buy a second pair for my kitchen/diner, but the layout (TV/table in one corner) suggests that I might be better off with another single stereo speaker (or2) instead. I was thinking that 10" speakers would be rather close together to sound right whilst seated at the table and watching the tv or working on the computer (on tv screen), or do you think that a pair of speakers that are closer together than they ideally should be, are still better than a sigle stereo speaker?

As I'm not sure which way to go with that, the plan is to build backboxes & trial fit the Jamos in the bedroom, before plastering, do the same with an 8" single stereo speaker in the bathroom, then temporarily wire them up for a back-to-back comparison, before making a decision on the kitchen.

I have been looking at Sonance stuff too, but again there seems to be limited availability over here. I quite fancied the Original Series Large 831R SST and enquired on price and availability from 2 suppliers last week, but haven't had any replies yet!! frown.gif This company have the best price for the 6 1/2" Sonance, but I really wanted to get an 8" version to give me the best chance of getting a decent bass reproduction: http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/69ion:

Unfortunately, I need to make a decision soon as I'm holding up getting the plasterers in ATM!!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page