Floorstanders with the best midrange + advice for hearing impaired - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am looking for input as to which floorstanding speakers might sound the best, given my situation.

I wear hearing aids for high frequencies. For instance, without the hearing aids, I have trouble hearing "s" sounds from dialog - in particular female "s" sounds.

With hearing aids, I can hear these sounds fairly well. While the "s" sounds, as well as higher frequencies, are audible, I am not quite sure how the hearing aids work exactly, and I am not so certain I would be able to particularly tell minute and subtle differences in high frequencies.

According to my hearing graph I have above average hearing in low and mid frequencies until about 2khz. Then it drops pretty low until the 6khz range. At 8khz it starts to go back up. That is the highest the test ran, so I am not certain, but it seems like my hearing might not be too bad after 8khz.

On to the point:
I am looking for the floorstanders that seem to have the most clear and articulate midrange and lower high frequencies. The more accurate and clear those areas are, the easier it will be for me to understand lyrics in music and dialog in movies (without needing to mess with preamp dialog options).

I have read the Ascend Sierra towers are good with midrange. Same with the Salk Song Towers. The Arx A5 seem like it might be decent options as well (and at a much cheaper price) -- which reminds me, I wonder how much benefit someone like me would see in the extra cost of a RAAL tweeter for instance...

I do not care much about how low it will go as I will likely always use it with my Rythmik sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe a better and simply way to state what I am looking for is this:

What floorstanding speakers produce the most clear, articulate, and legible dialog and vocals? That is the most important thing to me.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 05:50 PM

You should look into the Tekton Lores or the M-Lores if you want great midrange...check the reviews. Great price on both, but the lead time is long right now.
I think Eric is working to reduce the lead time, but maybe give him a call and inquire about your needs/lead time.
http://www.tektondesign.com/
post #4 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Both Dennis Murphy and Jim Sulk speakers really have a strong Mid-Range driver and emphasis... Dennis (who helped design allot of Jim's speakers) who is all a muscian believes in a strong mid range and then balances everything around that... At least that is my understanding of his approach.

I am sure he will see this and pipe in.

I own a pair of Dennis's speakers...simply wonderful. Clear, accurate, off-axis response that is off the charts...

Anyway...giving you options.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Both Dennis Murphy and Jim Sulk speakers really have a strong Mid-Range driver and emphasis... Dennis (who helped design allot of Jim's speakers) who is all a muscian believes in a strong mid range and then balances everything around that... At least that is my understanding of his approach.

I am sure he will see this and pipe in.

I own a pair of Dennis's speakers...simply wonderful. Clear, accurate, off-axis response that is off the charts...

Anyway...giving you options.

I am very interested in his "Phil Slims" actually. I also live in the DC area so i could save money on shipping, etc. Plus I just like the idea of purchasing locally.

The only issue is I also want this to be a 5.1 setup for home theater use as well. I wonder what sort of surrounds I could use to match. (I know Jim Salk can make a custom center for the phils).
post #6 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
My friend is also hearing impaired and has spent a lot of money on his hearing aids. He has been wearing hearing aids in both ears for sveral years and I think he is currently on his 4th pair, with each pair being more expensive but also more advanced. His current hearing aids have DSP and Bluetooth for use with his home and cell phone too.

He has commented a few times on how clear my HT and music systems have sounded each time we watched a movie together.

I recently purchased a pair of the second generation Pioneer towers and we watched Life of Pi and The Hobbit together. He thought the dialog was very clear and was well blended with my subwoofer.

All that being said, my vote would go towards the Pioneers. My friend has watched movies in my HT rig using Energy RC-70s, Paradigm Studios, and Mirage Omnipolars. He thought they all sounded good but the Pioneer were the cheapest of the bunch
post #7 of 10 Old 04-08-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I find that the BIC Acoustech PL89's or PL-76's are great for bringing vocals to life. As with all of their horn tweeter speakers.

Shawn
post #8 of 10 Old 04-08-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Songtowers have great midrange, but even better are the supercharged songtower. The updated SEAS woofer in the supercharged version is very good in the midrange, plus the benefit of the
RAAL tweeter.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-08-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goride View Post

I am looking for input as to which floorstanding speakers might sound the best, given my situation.

I wear hearing aids for high frequencies. For instance, without the hearing aids, I have trouble hearing "s" sounds from dialog - in particular female "s" sounds.

With hearing aids, I can hear these sounds fairly well. While the "s" sounds, as well as higher frequencies, are audible, I am not quite sure how the hearing aids work exactly, and I am not so certain I would be able to particularly tell minute and subtle differences in high frequencies.

Just put in a pair of Infinity Primus 363s, and found that they do wonderful things for speech articulation in a somewhat reverberant room. Compared to other speakers being bandied about - they are chump change but do sound good.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goride View Post

I am very interested in his "Phil Slims" actually. I also live in the DC area so i could save money on shipping, etc. Plus I just like the idea of purchasing locally.

The only issue is I also want this to be a 5.1 setup for home theater use as well. I wonder what sort of surrounds I could use to match. (I know Jim Salk can make a custom center for the phils).

Jim build's Dennis centers now. I am currently considering using 3 Phil 2's as L/C/R.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page