Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

MK owned both the Klipsch Ultra II set and a pair of 2008 JTR T8's. He said the two were very close back then, though he gave a slight edge to the JTR. Since then the JTR's have been changed, but Jeff said he always liked the mid range of the 2008 speaker and that the latest version had a mid range like the 2008. The top end is supposed to be better on the latest T8's compared to the earlier models. So what I am saying, the Ultra II set up is close to the performance of the T8's. Closer than some JTR owners would like to think. For the record, I have owned 2009 T8's.

And the Klipsch even have actual measurements; and the measurements look great. Imagine that concept. eek.gifbiggrin.gif

"The relative flatness of the response curves (particularly with the KL-650 & KL-525s) underscores the tonally balanced & sonically accurate presentation of this very impressive system. It's easy to see how the musicalness (ability to accurately render the timbre of individual instruments) of the system is as outstanding as it is...

The THX Ultra2 is simply amazing in terms of sheer musicalness, its ability to deliver exceptional dynamics and clean, unadulterated detail. It's a system that proves once and for all you can bring, in an authentic way, the big-screen cinema sound experience to your home. It will again and again surprise you in ways that define the exceptional listening experience. The Klipsch Ultra2 THX 7.1 home theater system gives the consumer the opportunity to reap the benefits of a product built on 60 years of engineering expertise and technological refinement all in a package that can fit into your home theater.

With the THX Ultra2, Klipsch have managed to carry forward decades of home & professional cinema sound experience and bundle it all into one brilliantly executed system. If you're ready to move up to a THX Ultra2 system and plan on making the rounds of all your local audio salons with audition list in hand, put this system at the top of that list. You'll save yourself an awful lot of audition time."

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/satellite/klipsch-thx-ultra2/page-5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 158
So what that the Klipsch have "actual measurements". Quite a few enthusiasts on here think that the JTR's offer better performance at a substantially lower cost.

Measurements also don't tell the whole story.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
Old 04-10-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked: 1314
Quote:

MK owned both the Klipsch Ultra II set and a pair of 2008 JTR T8's. He said the two were very close back then, though he gave a slight edge to the JTR. Since then the JTR's have been changed, but Jeff said he always liked the mid range of the 2008 speaker and that the latest version had a mid range like the 2008. The top end is supposed to be better on the latest T8's compared to the earlier models. So what I am saying, the Ultra II set up is close to the performance of the T8's. Closer than some JTR owners would like to think. For the record, I have owned 2009 T8's.

I remember another JTR owner went from the Ultra2 to T12's also and again said it was a setup in performance. And the newest versions of the T8's are also a step up on the 2009 T8's unless you've upgraded your cross overs and compression driver. Once again this is why IMO the new Noesis 228HT's are an amazing value, when being offered at the same price as the T8's.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

I read the picture backwards! Getting old sucks!

It sure beats the alternative. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 04-10-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi Everyone,

Spoke to Jeff at JTR today. He recommends the Noesis 228HT for FCR, Slanted 8HT for rears and a single Captivator S2 for now (always can add more later if I need it).
I have a $10k budget so can't really afford more subs right now.

Total is about $8k with shipping + $2k for the Denon.

Does anyone have an alternate suggestion that I should seriously consider instead before I buy this setup? Bad thing is that I can't listen to these before I buy them
unless anyone know someone in Austin, San Antonio or Houston who has this setup.

Thanks,

Michael
Old 04-10-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
No, you didn't listen to me, go ahead and blow a ton of moola to impress your friends. smile.gif
Old 04-10-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

And Klipschorns are cheaper than the JTR's? I don't think so.

OP, I think you'll love the JTR's. when you get it all in and set up let us know how you like it!

I'm sure there is somebody down there that has JTR equipment. Start a new thread and I'm sure someone will come out of the woodwork.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusdoan View Post

Hi Everyone,

Spoke to Jeff at JTR today. He recommends the Noesis 228HT for FCR, Slanted 8HT for rears and a single Captivator S2 for now (always can add more later if I need it).

Does anyone have an alternate suggestion that I should seriously consider instead before I buy this setup? Bad thing is that I can't listen to these before I buy them
unless anyone know someone in Austin, San Antonio or Houston who has this setup.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael that will be an amazing system and you will most defiantly have to keep use update if you go threw with it and get it.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnatsch517 View Post

Haha, I just looked at his photos and videos. That is hilarious. I hope that is just how he set them up as a showcase and not how he actually listens to them.
It's not a 5.x or 7.x setup. Having 30 subwoofers does not make it a 5.30 setup. 5 refers to the number of channels, not speakers. the .1 refers to the number of subwoofer channels not the number of subwoofers.
There are several members on AVS with more than 10 subwoofers playing off a single channel.

What setup do you have?

And, please explain what you mean about multiple subwoofer and main channels channels being different n relation to the numbers. I would like to know what you are talking about.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So what that the Klipsch have "actual measurements". Quite a few enthusiasts on here think that the JTR's offer better performance at a substantially lower cost.

The listening tests done by actual Audioholics staff members mean just as much as anybody's personal opinion on this forum or any forum.

I wouldn't spend $8K on some speakers that might measure +/-10dB FR, but that's just me.

Those Klipsch KL-650 & KL-525 measure about +/-1dB FR.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

The listening tests done by actual Audioholics staff members mean just as much as anybody's personal opinion on this forum or any forum.

Yeah and how many of those "staff members" have actually heard JTR speakers in person?
For the people who actually have heard both JTR and Ultra2's the JTR's were preferred. You seem to have a hard time accepting this.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Yeah and how many of those "staff members" have actually heard JTR speakers in person?
For the people who actually have heard both JTR and Ultra2's the JTR's were preferred. You seem to have a hard time accepting this.

And if someone has heard the JTR & Bose and liked the Bose better, does that mean the Bose are better?

Just because people have heard the speakers in question does not mean their opinions are unequivocal or true.

You seem to have an excruciating time comprehending this "hearsay" concept! eek.gif
Old 04-10-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And if someone has heard the JTR & Bose and liked the Bose better, does that mean the Bose are better?

Just because people have heard the speakers in question does not mean their opinions are unequivocal or true.

You seem to have an excruciating time comprehending this "hearsay" concept! eek.gif

LOL you're all over the place. Are you recommended speakers again that you've never heard but know they sound amazing because of a graph you looked at? rolleyes.gif
Old 04-10-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The street price of the KL-650-THX Ultra II system are substantially less than the street price of the T8's. In fact the street price for the Klipsch is less than the single 8HT or Slant 8.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 04-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 69
If you are handy with woodwork you could build yourself a 7.2 SEOS system + a couple of tapped horns and probably save yourself 5 grand.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The street price of the KL-650-THX Ultra II system are substantially less than the street price of the T8's. In fact the street price for the Klipsch is less than the single 8HT or Slant 8.
Not the street prices I'm seeing.

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-THX-Ultra2-System-Elite-20/dp/B00BPD5GW8

Old 04-10-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

If you are handy with woodwork you could build yourself a 7.2 SEOS system + a couple of tapped horns and probably save yourself 5 grand.
That will definitely be a great route to go. That is probably what I'm going to do.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 546
The klipsch THX ultra 2 measure awesome, outside! In my room they were not flat, I needed to EQ them just like every other speaker I have owned to get a flat response where it matters, my seats. I loved that Klipsch THX system until I heard the M&K S-5000THX system. Just as good for movies but much better for music. They had that goosebumps feeling you get but the klipsch sound a little bigger(cinematic). The Klipsch at $500 each is a great deal and I would not hesitate to buy them at that price. However, my eD cinema 12 upgraded speaker was much better overall and one can get those in kit form for $300 each or so. That would be the way to go for me, buy 7 Seos kits and then you have enough dough left over for the subs you actually need! You can get dual S2s or dual OS and you will be done! Measurements are great but none better than in your own room as that is where you will be listening to these. If you want to just place speakers in a room and hope for the best then outside measurements are crucial and the THX ultra 2 won't let you down, especially for $500. Oh yeah, the seos are flat outside as well.

MY favorite speaker are not flat at all outside but I EQ so it just needs the output so I can EQ without compression.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Note that we are a Klipsch dealer. smile.gif

Old 04-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

A few JTR owners have switch from full Klipsch Ultra 2 setups over to full JTR setups and all have said it was a step up. I use to lust after a Ultra 2 setup and am very happy to have three JTR Noesis 228HT's on order to use as my mains.

And I don't mean that as a negative towards a Klipsch Ultra 2 setup, just saying what I've read in the JTR thread.

I am glad people are happy with their upgrades, I have heard JTR and Seaton speakers, but still prefer Klipsch.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
Old 04-10-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 546
It depends on the Klipsch as well, I would love to hear the scalas or klipschorns. Jubilees too!

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Michael

That sounds amazing! I would definitely add a second S2 down the road. I'm taking an audio demo tour this summer to decide where my next speakers are coming from. I'm going to visit Danley Sound Labs, Seaton Sound and JTR. I may also ask some members for a demo in their theaters, if they're available. It'll be an almost 2 week road trip of sonic heaven! biggrin.gif

David Budo
Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Michael

Sounds good, I'm definitely jealous. Maybe look at accessories4less.com to save some $ on the Denon with a warranty refurb unit...

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 04-11-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post

I am glad people are happy with their upgrades, I have heard JTR and Seaton speakers, but still prefer Klipsch.

Thank you!

There you have it. Someone who has heard all three and prefers Klipsch over JTR & Seaton.

What does that mean?

Pure Personal Preference!

Note that I have never owned Klipsch, but I have auditioned a few times and I liked them. Paired with some great subs, I would be quite happy with the sound.

I am not someone who OWNS JTR or Klipsch and recommends to others to buy that brand. biggrin.gif

I am just another voice.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can get 15% off using the code "TV15".

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1380&sc=54

But I am sure that AVS Science Sales 5 could offer a better deal!biggrin.gif
Old 04-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

I am not someone who OWNS JTR or Klipsch and recommends to others to buy that brand. biggrin.gif

I am just another voice.

It is so helpful when you post opinions about products you have never heard. Thank you! smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post

Really, that's interesting. Did you attend a GTG and what specific models were they? Just curious. smile.gif

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
Old 04-11-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

It is so helpful when you post opinions about products you have never heard.

No more helpful than JTR fanboys trying to persuade everyone they should buy JTR and that JTR are the best and you don't ever need baseline speaker measurements as long as they are JTR. smile.gif

Those JTR sure as heck can't sound any better than the speakers I own. smile.gif

And if you think so, then, well it's your opinion. smile.gif

It's very funny how the only people who absolutely rave about JTR are people who own JTR. smile.gif

If someone prefers another speaker over JTR then there's got to be something interesting and curious about it. smile.gif

With that being said, I will now bow out of this heated debate. biggrin.gif

We can all agree to disagree. I can recommend one system, others can recommend something else.

Seriously, I believe the OP would be quite happy with the sound of JTR speakers as he would be happy with many other speakers. wink.gif
Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I haven't ever owned everything JTR, but I think Jeff makes a phenomenal speaker. So does Mark Seaton. (have heard both ot their offerings at the omaha gtg) I have klipsch klf-30s and enjoy them as well. It's all down to individual preference really. I think any of the suggestions made will provide an excellent system for the OP really.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

It's very funny how the only people who absolutely rave about JTR are people who own JTR. smile.gif

So then you are comparing JTR to Bose after all! tongue.gif
Quote:
If someone prefers another speaker over JTR then there's got to be something interesting and curious about it. smile.gif

Really that's no different than other ID brands too though, such as Ascend & Salk for just a couple of examples.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post

So then you are comparing JTR to Bose after all! tongue.gif

Just an analogy, perhaps not a good one though.

My point was that we are all just making personal opinions, and it does not make it unequivocal just because someone has heard all the speakers; it's still just a personal preference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post

Really that's no different than other ID brands too though, such as Ascend & Salk for just a couple of examples.

I agree. I'm just trying to give as neutral and objective an opinion as possible. biggrin.gif

Is it not fair for 10 people to make 10 different recommendations without having to "prove" that their speakers are the better choice?

One person can recommend JTR. One can recommend Seaton, Another can recommend Ascend, Salk, Revel, KEF, etc.

There is no need to argue why one is better because it's all based on personal preference.

What is wrong with me recommending the Klpisch KL-650THX based on Audioholics' and HTM's rave reviews and the fact that they objectively measure +/-1dB from 200Hz-10kHz on both Audioholics & Home Theater Magazine? Staff members from Audioholics and Home Theater Magazine have listened to hundreds of great speakers.

That's my opinion. People can move on and recommend anything they want. Why fight my opinion because I believe in speaker measurements?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement