post #211 of 237 Old 04-15-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

oops i forgot to add a decent power amp to drive them A series.
This is why I thought you were recommending Class A amps. I misunderstood. Sorry.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 237 Old 04-16-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone.

Everyone here has been super helpful, even with the occassional back and forth and side-steps. :-)

Jeff responded and I will get the JTRs and I can't wait to hear them. I'll post an update once I have them all setup in my new home (around end of June) with pics. My wife is having a hard time with storing them for now but some nice flowers and shoes will probably close the deal.

Will think through the smaller setup for the second room some more, after this one is setup.

For cables, I buy at Monoprice... :-)

Cheers,

Michael
post #213 of 237 Old 04-16-2013, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1176
Michael I'm envious of your system already! Keep us posted how things turn out. Did you end up going with the Captivator S2 or did you talk to Jeff about going with a Orbit Shifter?
post #214 of 237 Old 04-16-2013, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing the pics.
post #215 of 237 Old 04-16-2013, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

I am going with a different sub all together (TBD) based on the input from this board. I am going to listen to the JTR's first to see how they sound and will get a sub after that. Another thread maybe. :-)
post #216 of 237 Old 04-17-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Which subs are you looking at?

post #217 of 237 Old 04-17-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Recommendations have been a couple Rythmiks FV15's I believe. Also looking at Velodyne.
post #218 of 237 Old 04-17-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusdoan View Post

Recommendations have been a couple Rythmiks FV15's I believe. Also looking at Velodyne.

Velodyne's can be pretty and pretty expensive but better value with the ID subs and they won't keep up with the larger ID subs at all. For Rythmiks for your room I'd look at a pair of FV15HPs. However, personally if you can spend the money I'd still steer you towards something that is more capable such as the Seaton Submersive HP or the JTR Captivators (or Orbit Shifters). IMHO/my .02.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #219 of 237 Old 04-17-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Velodyne's can be pretty and pretty expensive but better value with the ID subs and they won't keep up with the larger ID subs at all. For Rythmiks for your room I'd look at a pair of FV15HPs. However, personally if you can spend the money I'd still steer you towards something that is more capable such as the Seaton Submersive HP or the JTR Captivators (or Orbit Shifters). IMHO/my .02.

I agree. Stay away from the audiophile stuff. While they look nice, they simply don't have the output for such a large space. SPL (sound pressure level) and distortion go hand in hand, so those 15" subs will be distorting like crazy trying to make bass in that room.

Something else to consider, two of these guys would do OK in that room.

http://www.chasehometheater.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=138&vmcchk=1&Itemid=138
post #220 of 237 Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it would be a mistake not to go with a sub from JTR and part of that reason is based on the extra discount you'd receive. If you buy three speakers as your mains and two sets of either Single 8's or Slant 8's you'll only receive a 5% discount, but buy a sub will be your 8th piece so you'll receive a 10% discount instead of 5%. At the very least you should look at the Captivator 2400 which will still have more output then a FV15HP.
post #221 of 237 Old 04-18-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 1685
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I think it would be a mistake not to go with a sub from JTR and part of that reason is based on the extra discount you'd receive. If you buy three speakers as your mains and two sets of either Single 8's or Slant 8's you'll only receive a 5% discount, but buy a sub will be your 8th piece so you'll receive a 10% discount instead of 5%. At the very least you should look at the Captivator 2400 which will still have more output then a FV15HP.

Agreed! If one is buying a JTR speaker package it only makes sense to go with the Captivator and save even more coin. The Cap is a beast from everything I read and 10% savings is significant in terms of the total money spent.
post #222 of 237 Old 04-18-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

There are plenty of subs out there that will give him great performance in his room but I agree that it doesn't make much sense to not take advantage of the discount.

post #223 of 237 Old 04-18-2013, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I would go with a cap or a submersive, both are awesome subs.
post #224 of 237 Old 04-18-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 860
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

I would go with a cap or a submersive, both are awesome subs.

+1

Having heard both before, literally back to back within minutes of each other... I would say that you would be happy with the SubM if you like to listen to your music/movies at moderate listening levels. If you like to get frisky with the remote then the Cap would suit you better.

If you want to rule the world, get a Orbit Shifter. I have yet to hear an OS in person, but from what others have told me *cough* Archaea *cough, cough* one OS should have similar output to dual Cap's.
post #225 of 237 Old 04-18-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

+1

Having heard both before, literally back to back within minutes of each other... I would say that you would be happy with the SubM if you like to listen to your music/movies at moderate listening levels. If you like to get frisky with the remote then the Cap would suit you better.

If you want to rule the world, get a Orbit Shifter. I have yet to hear an OS in person, but from what others have told me *cough* Archaea *cough, cough* one OS should have similar output to dual Cap's.

In a room that size I'm really surprised that Jeff didn't recommend an OS. I've heard every sub JTR makes, owned dual Submersives and dual Ported Captivators and all are awesome but if you need maximum output for the least amount of money outside of DIY the Orbit Shifter has to be the best you can do. I don't think there can be any argument there.

I like the sound of the Submersive and Cap sealed slightly better than the OS but not enough that it would make me choose those over the OS in a massive room like the OP has.

OP, did Jeff explain why he recommended the Cap 2 sealed over the OS?
post #226 of 237 Old 04-18-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, and as far as comparing Caps to Orbit Shifters, Jeff told me once that dual powered caps could almost keep up with a single OS if the Caps were co-located AND only down to around 60hz, below 60hz the OS "pulls away". Don't know specifically what pulls away means.
post #227 of 237 Old 04-18-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Almost makes me think I should get an OS for my room, with it only being 2100cu/ft I'm sure a single OS would make it feel like the house is about to come down on me!
post #228 of 237 Old 04-18-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Almost makes me think I should get an OS for my room, with it only being 2100cu/ft I'm sure a single OS would make it feel like the house is about to come down on me!

Ha, yes it would feel like that. I've had a single OS in my room and it was like that. With my 8 subs now it's like that too except I get a smoother response since the subs are spread out.

That reminds me, has anyone asked the OP if he has any interest in DIY (or AIY like I did)?
post #229 of 237 Old 04-18-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 854
JTR Orbit Shifter, Ported Cap, Sealed Cap, Seaton Submersive. How much it matters between the four in sound quality is splitting hairs. We blind demoed all of them in the 2012 KC Subwoofer meet and they all scored within a couple percentage points of each other out of 9 blind voters averaged votes, with most people not even having a clue which was which when they were blind.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387178/archaeas-kansas-city-blind-subwoofer-shootout-2012

They all have excellent sound quality, and they all have excellent spl capability.

The Rythmik's have excellent sound quality and are one of my favorite subwoofers, but it can't push the same SPLs as the bigger units. A Rythmik F25 should be more in line with a Submersive HP or Cap S1, while the F15HP would fall short on SPL capability EDIT I was thinking the F25 was two F15HP drivers in one box --- I was corrected below by jbrown.

The JTR subs edge out the Seaton subs a wee bit on max SPL capability. Some might say Seaton's have a wee edge on sound quality. --- but any of these advantages are splitting hairs. (well except the orbit shifter's max spl advantage)

Your room is about as big as they come. I'd at least consider DIY, or AIY like carp has done if you can tolerate that many drivers throughout your room, or JTR or Seaton equipment first and foremost from the world of manufactured or ID subwoofers. JTR and Seaton products have traded places - placed first or second - in every subwoofer meet they've participated in for the last few years. Check the sticky at the top of the forum for a link to each of these meets. I've heard subwoofer systems from other vendors that cost up to 10K, and they actually faltered when compared to a pair of JTR or Seaton subs. In my experience, JTR and Seaton subwoofers are about as good as it gets.

As to my recommendation for your room for ~10K.

Left, Center, Right
JTR Noesis 228HT - $1200 x 3 = $3,600

Surrounds
Klipsch RS-62 - $500 x 4 = $2,000
Note: if you can swing full JTR surround - go for it - but the Klipsch is half the price and for surround speaker purposes is probably sufficient.

Subwoofer System
JTR Dual Passive Captivators - $1500 x 2 = $3,000
Cerwin Vega CV-5000 - $700
Behringer Mic2200 - $100
Omnimic - $300

Receiver
Onkyo TX-NR 818 - $700
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1418870/onkyo-tx-nr818-949-88
or
Pioneer SC 1522K - $600
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464476/pioneer-sc-1522k-for-599-99-at-costco

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #230 of 237 Old 04-18-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

JTR Orbit Shifter, Ported Cap, Sealed Cap, Seaton Submersive. How much it matters between the four in sound quality is splitting hairs. We blind demoed all of them in the 2012 KC Subwoofer meet and they all scored within a couple percentage points of each other out of 9 blind voters averaged votes, with most people not even having a clue which was which when they were blind.

They all have excellent sound quality, and they all have excellent spl capability.

The Rythmik's have excellent sound quality, but can't push the same SPLs as the bigger units.
A Rythmik F25 should be more in line with a Submersive HP or Cap S1, while the F15HP would fall short on SPL capability.

Your room is about as big as they come. I'd consider DIY, or AIY like carp has done if you can stomach many drivers throughout your room, or JTR or Seaton equipment first and foremost from the world of manufactored or ID subwoofers. These products have traded places - first and second in every subwoofer meet they've participated in for the last few years. I've heard subwoofer systems from other vendors that cost up to 10K, and they actually faltered when compared to a pair of JTR or Seaton subs.

^^^^^ Best advice so far.

228's across the front plus slanted 8's for the surrounds and dual Cap 2400s is going to be nearly impossible to beat unless you want to rent out your nearest IMAX every time you want to watch a flick. Even then, I'd personally pick my HT if I had that set up.

(Not sure if a full Seaton setup, catalysts and SubM's can be had for under 10k, but I'm sure it would sound just as sick)
post #231 of 237 Old 04-18-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387178/archaeas-kansas-city-blind-subwoofer-shootout-2012

The Rythmik's have excellent sound quality and are one of my favorite subwoofers, but it can't push the same SPLs as the bigger units. A Rythmik F25 should be more in line with a Submersive HP or Cap S1, while the F15HP would fall short on SPL capability. The JTR subs edge out the Seaton subs a wee bit on max SPL capability. Some might say Seaton's have a wee edge on sound quality. --- but any of these advantages are splitting hairs. (well except the orbit shifter's max spl advantage)

Your room is about as big as they come. I'd at least consider DIY, or AIY like carp has done if you can tolerate that many drivers throughout your room, or JTR or Seaton equipment first and foremost from the world of manufactured or ID subwoofers. JTR and Seaton products have traded places - placed first or second - in every subwoofer meet they've participated in for the last few years. Check the sticky at the top of the forum for a link to each of these meets. I've heard subwoofer systems from other vendors that cost up to 10K, and they actually faltered when compared to a pair of JTR or Seaton subs. In my experience, JTR and Seaton subwoofers are about as good as it gets.

Archaea, the F25 has less output then the FV15HP though except below the port tune of the FV15HP.
post #232 of 237 Old 04-18-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 860
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

^^^^^ Best advice so far.

228's across the front plus slanted 8's for the surrounds and dual Cap 2400s is going to be nearly impossible to beat unless you want to rent out your nearest IMAX every time you want to watch a flick. Even then, I'd personally pick my HT if I had that set up.

+1

Sometimes it just takes a wordsmith to get the point across. Well put Archaea! Given my past experiences with IMAX, I would pick your theater too...lol

I hope the OP at least has a PJ to compliment his IMAX beating audio.
post #233 of 237 Old 05-06-2013, 11:29 PM

Liked: 11
I would look at the Klipsch THX Ultra2 system.
post #234 of 237 Old 05-07-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

I would look at the Klipsch THX Ultra2 system.

Welcome to the forum! Regarding THX U2 system, see my post #179. I owned the U2 and it really doesn't compete well with most of the options being discussed here.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #235 of 237 Old 05-07-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Welcome to the forum! Regarding THX U2 system, see my post #179. I owned the U2 and it really doesn't compete well with most of the options being discussed here.

Correct! I owned it and it was great but sucked for music. All my systems since then have been just as good and better for movies and much better for music. My horn arrays are my fav right now.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
post #236 of 237 Old 05-07-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Sounds like the OP made the right choice going with JTR. Good thinkin OP and congrats.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #237 of 237 Old 05-07-2013, 12:49 PM

Liked: 19
OP, let us know if your JTRs sound like the cats meow or cats screaming. wink.gif Congrats on your choice. I'm trying to get a chance to listen to the Noesis lineup.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page