Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

I am kind of forced to invest in speakers now, here's why.

I currently am in an apartment and use a Panasonic HTIB. I am fine with it however. I just got a good deal on a receiver from Costco - the Pioneer SC-1522k.

Now its been 4 days that I got the receiver and its just there. I can't test it as the Panasonic HTIB speakers are 3 ohms more importantly. the way the those speakers are connected, I won't be able to connect it to the Pioneer receiver.

Someone mentioned the Pioneer FS-52 floor standing speaker and I listened to them in the store, but then I also listened to Polk and klipsc and these 2 speakers sounded much clean and crisp, and that's how I like it. I could not listen to movie or TV it was just music.

I had thought that if I like the pioneer speakers I would just get the L/R and take my time to invest in the rest of the speakers. Some else also mentioned that the front 3 L/C/R are the most important speakers and not to skimp on it. However , I don't have the money now to spend $200 eon each speaker.

If I do get the Pioneer FS-52 speakers no to test the receiver and also to use it for some time, when I do have the money to buy speakers, can I then use these two fro back surround.

Or should I just save money and buy good speaker later. Even later, I don't think will be spending more than $200-$300 each on speakers.

What do you guys think I should do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I suggest that you consider the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers, which are available for $350 per pair.

Those have had excellent reviews from various high-end audio and HT magazines; nice-sounding speakers.

A pair of those will give you a nice start, and the 10CC center speaker is $249 when you want to add it.

The low sensitivity of the Pioneer speakers is not a good match for most HT receivers, because they require too much power for peak sound levels. Your receiver is more powerful than most, however, so this may not be an issue for you.
post #3 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Have the Polk monitors been discontinued?

Which Polk speakers would you guys recommend on a budget?
post #4 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
The Polk Monitor series actually was officially discontinued about 2 years ago...lol.

They have become increasingly hard to find recently, but some may still be around.

For a low budget, I would suggest the Polk R300 and CSR speakers.

You can get all 3 for around $300.
post #5 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

Have the Polk monitors been discontinued?

Which Polk speakers would you guys recommend on a budget?

Polk now has the "Monitor" series II , 35, 45, 55, 65, 75 are the model numbers. NewEgg seems to be the best place to get them.

Best Buy carries the Tsi line which is identical other than some cosmetics to the Monitor line if you want to demo them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=polk+monitor

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #6 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Newegg has them going on sale for very low prices every now and then. There's a bit of a stigma against newegg for some forum users, but I've built my entire audio setup and multiple computers from them for years now.
post #7 of 29 Old 04-10-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycholis View Post

Newegg has them going on sale for very low prices every now and then. There's a bit of a stigma against newegg for some forum users, but I've built my entire audio setup and multiple computers from them for years now.

Why is there a stigma against newegg?

Also, a very stupid question. Do speakers come with speaker wires, if not then, which speaker wires to buy and where do you guys buy it from?
post #8 of 29 Old 04-10-2013, 11:26 AM

Liked: 12
As some others here mentioned, the Polk Monitor Series II 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70 disappeared late this past fall. Polk renumbered the new line in a similar fashion, just replacing the "0" with a "5" in all of the models. Very little has changed in the refreshed series. Polk changed the driver layout and slightly increased the size of the cabinets, but they still have the same drivers and sound virtually identical. The most substantial change has been in the price. Right now Newegg has the new cherry 75T's on sale for by far the cheapest I've seen so far at $170/each shipped after applying the coupon code. (EMCXSXL228) The 70's would occasionally go on sale for $160/each, and even $150/each in a few instances. If I were looking for a pair of speakers like the 70's today, I'd pay $170/each. They're by no means "reference level" speakers, but they ARE among the best values out there if you wait for a good sale. And considering you're coming from a HTIB, you'd be blown away by a pair of 70's.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290279

Last year I trolled Newegg for about 6 months to determine just how low they'd go on the speakers I was interested in, and I ended up building a whole 9.0 setup pair by pair as they went on sale and saved quite a bit. I've had a pair of Series II 70's, 60's, 40's, 30's, and a CS2 since last summer, and I've been very pleased with their performance. (granted I also coupled them with a HSU VTF-2 MK4)

As far as a stigma against Newegg, a number of people have had issues with their shipping and return policies. Personally, I've had only positive experiences dealing with Newegg. The Polk PSW505 I ordered a while back arrived damaged and sounded like sh*t, they took it back and returned every dime. (which I then spent on a wonderful HSU sub) I also received a Monitor 40 with a damaged crossover, and they did a quick and completely free exchange for me.

As far as speaker cable, it will NOT be included with a speaker like the Monitors. (or any other decent speaker that I've seen) For your application, you could go the inexpensive route and run something like this and connect it with the binding posts:
http://www.amazon.com/AH14100SR-14-Gauge-Speaker-Wire-feet/dp/B002HPNDDW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1365617823&sr=8-4&keywords=speaker+cable

OR spend more money and connect the speakers with something like these:

http://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Premium-Gauge-Speaker/dp/B006JSR4QU/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1365617823&sr=8-16&keywords=speaker+cable
http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Silverback-Banana-Plugs-Screw/dp/B005BT2KJE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365617998&sr=1-2&keywords=sewell+banana+plugs

Either way, good luck and have fun!
post #9 of 29 Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 AM

Liked: 10
Also on newegg, the def tech sm350s have been on sale for a great price. The matching center is the clr 2002 and can often be found on Craigslist for $150.
post #10 of 29 Old 04-10-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGcollector View Post

As some others here mentioned, the Polk Monitor Series II 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70 disappeared late this past fall. Polk renumbered the new line in a similar fashion, just replacing the "0" with a "5" in all of the models. Very little has changed in the refreshed series. Polk changed the driver layout and slightly increased the size of the cabinets, but they still have the same drivers and sound virtually identical. The most substantial change has been in the price. Right now Newegg has the new cherry 75T's on sale for by far the cheapest I've seen so far at $170/each shipped after applying the coupon code. (EMCXSXL228) The 70's would occasionally go on sale for $160/each, and even $150/each in a few instances. If I were looking for a pair of speakers like the 70's today, I'd pay $170/each. They're by no means "reference level" speakers, but they ARE among the best values out there if you wait for a good sale. And considering you're coming from a HTIB, you'd be blown away by a pair of 70's.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290279

Last year I trolled Newegg for about 6 months to determine just how low they'd go on the speakers I was interested in, and I ended up building a whole 9.0 setup pair by pair as they went on sale and saved quite a bit. I've had a pair of Series II 70's, 60's, 40's, 30's, and a CS2 since last summer, and I've been very pleased with their performance. (granted I also coupled them with a HSU VTF-2 MK4)

As far as a stigma against Newegg, a number of people have had issues with their shipping and return policies. Personally, I've had only positive experiences dealing with Newegg. The Polk PSW505 I ordered a while back arrived damaged and sounded like sh*t, they took it back and returned every dime. (which I then spent on a wonderful HSU sub) I also received a Monitor 40 with a damaged crossover, and they did a quick and completely free exchange for me.

As far as speaker cable, it will NOT be included with a speaker like the Monitors. (or any other decent speaker that I've seen) For your application, you could go the inexpensive route and run something like this and connect it with the binding posts:
http://www.amazon.com/AH14100SR-14-Gauge-Speaker-Wire-feet/dp/B002HPNDDW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1365617823&sr=8-4&keywords=speaker+cable

OR spend more money and connect the speakers with something like these:

http://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Premium-Gauge-Speaker/dp/B006JSR4QU/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1365617823&sr=8-16&keywords=speaker+cable
http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Silverback-Banana-Plugs-Screw/dp/B005BT2KJE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365617998&sr=1-2&keywords=sewell+banana+plugs

Either way, good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the respose - yes, I am afraid that if they send me a damaged speaker, I would not know unless its obvious (but like you mentioned damaged crossover) I don't even know what that means. also, when you waited 6 month on getting the speakers, did you find a trend of when they usually go on sale?

What would be the advantage of going with an expensive speaker vs cheap.

I am getting pre-wiring for the house and they said it would be 14 gauge that they would be doing. Does matter what pre-wiring wires I have?
post #11 of 29 Old 04-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
The Dennis Murphy(Philharmonic Audio) designed/tweaked ACI MONITORS are on sale for $279pr+sh.
post #12 of 29 Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks for the respose - yes, I am afraid that if they send me a damaged speaker, I would not know unless its obvious (but like you mentioned damaged crossover) I don't even know what that means. also, when you waited 6 month on getting the speakers, did you find a trend of when they usually go on sale?

What would be the advantage of going with an expensive speaker vs cheap.

I am getting pre-wiring for the house and they said it would be 14 gauge that they would be doing. Does matter what pre-wiring wires I have?

If you run Audyssey, YPAO, or another auto EQ, it'll pick up on a bad crossover. This is a crossover:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover

The most frequent complaint about getting Polk speakers from Newegg is that they arrive with broken front grills. Polk realizes that the grills are flimsy, and will ship you new ones if your order arrives with broken ones. I've been fairly lucky, only 1 out of 12 Polk speakers I received was damaged. (the sub I got had a busted grill)

As far as a trend, there isn't a steady one. I haven't followed them too closely since buying mine, but generally they would be deeply discounted once every 2-3 months. What was odd was that the best sales were after major holidays. The best deals on the 70's cropped up in mid-January and mid-July.

The difference between an expensive and a cheap speaker is pretty obvious, superior sound, build quality, and finish. The difference between cheap and expensive cables is a much more convoluted debate, as you can find countless threads on every audio forum discussing it. For my home theater my objective was to keep everything value-minded, hence my selection of reasonably priced and high value per dollar components. I ran the GLS 12 gauge cable finished with Sewell banana plugs in my system. I went this direction because I have (4) 30+' runs and I was looking for a finished professional look. Personally, I think you'll be fine with an actual 14 gauge copper cable, but it doesn't hurt to have a larger gauge for long runs. The reason I say "actual 14 gauge," is because some manufacturers claim their cable is 14AWG, but in reality it's closer to 16 or even 18. If it's being installed for you, I would be sure to find out exactly what product they're planning on using and thoroughly research it before the installation.
post #13 of 29 Old 04-11-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Buy in stages, maybe. It is often recommended that you spend 3x the cost of your reciever on speakers, since speakers have a much bigger impact on the sq!
You have a mid level good reciever...and many of the speaker suggests in this thread have been entry level...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #14 of 29 Old 04-12-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Buy in stages, maybe. It is often recommended that you spend 3x the cost of your reciever on speakers, since speakers have a much bigger impact on the sq!
You have a mid level good reciever...and many of the speaker suggests in this thread have been entry level...

Yes, I will buy in stages, but I am not going to be spending $$$$ on speakers. I will probably buy something cheap and then in a couple of years upgrade the speakers.

WHat do you guys think of the Infinity Primus 363 Tower Speaker 6.5 compared to the Polk Monitor 70
post #15 of 29 Old 04-12-2013, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Yes, I will buy in stages, but I am not going to be spending $$$$ on speakers. I will probably buy something cheap and then in a couple of years upgrade the speakers.

WHat do you guys think of the Infinity Primus 363 Tower Speaker 6.5 compared to the Polk Monitor 70

I don't personally like the sound of Polks, so I'd go for the Infinity 363's. I've already read many good things about the 363's, so that would help my decision too. Polk's tend to be a bit too harsh for me.

post #16 of 29 Old 04-12-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Again, not trying to tell you what to do with your money...but you have a 500+ dollar reciever and are talking most about entry level speakers. The speakers will be your limiting factor in SQ...

however, if that is your budget, then so be it. You may want to consider the Def Tech SM 350/450s, which are being discontinued, but can be had for 200-250 dollar/pair...a very good speaker at that price and can be used as rear surrounds as you upgrade!

post #17 of 29 Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Again, not trying to tell you what to do with your money...but you have a 500+ dollar reciever and are talking most about entry level speakers. The speakers will be your limiting factor in SQ...

however, if that is your budget, then so be it. You may want to consider the Def Tech SM 350/450s, which are being discontinued, but can be had for 200-250 dollar/pair...a very good speaker at that price and can be used as rear surrounds as you upgrade!

I guess I would not have bought the expensive receiver i fit was not for the deal. I also know what you are suggesting and thanks for your recommendation.

At this time, i can't go beyond entry level speakers. What I plan to do is buy some good entry level speakers, which in 2-3 years I can put in another room and then upgrade speakers.

Where can I get the Def Tech SM 350/450s pair for the the price you mentioned. What center would go with these speakers?
post #18 of 29 Old 04-12-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

Quote:

I don't personally like the sound of Polks, so I'd go for the Infinity 363's. I've already read many good things about the 363's, so that would help my decision too. Polk's tend to be a bit too harsh for me.

I'm happy with my new 363s. Match up nicely with my 12" Paradigm sub. I like the idea of a 4" midrange.

Are you aware of this blind comarison test?

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2010/06/some-new-evidence-that-generation-y.html

"The four loudspeakers were floor-standing the models (slide 22): Infinity Primus 362 ($500 a pair), Polk Rti10 ($800), Klipsch RF35 ($600), and Martin Logan Vista ($3800)."

The details of the science are here: http://www.aes.org/e-lib/download.cfm?ID=12206&name=harman (pt 1) and here: http://www.aes.org/e-lib/download.cfm?ID=5270&name=harman (pt 2)
post #19 of 29 Old 04-12-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Hi all,

I am kind of forced to invest in speakers now, here's why.

I currently am in an apartment and use a Panasonic HTIB. I am fine with it however. I just got a good deal on a receiver from Costco - the Pioneer SC-1522k.

Now its been 4 days that I got the receiver and its just there. I can't test it as the Panasonic HTIB speakers are 3 ohms more importantly. the way the those speakers are connected, I won't be able to connect it to the Pioneer receiver.

Someone mentioned the Pioneer FS-52 floor standing speaker and I listened to them in the store, but then I also listened to Polk and klipsc and these 2 speakers sounded much clean and crisp, and that's how I like it. I could not listen to movie or TV it was just music.

I had thought that if I like the pioneer speakers I would just get the L/R and take my time to invest in the rest of the speakers. Some else also mentioned that the front 3 L/C/R are the most important speakers and not to skimp on it. However , I don't have the money now to spend $200 eon each speaker.

If I do get the Pioneer FS-52 speakers no to test the receiver and also to use it for some time, when I do have the money to buy speakers, can I then use these two fro back surround.

Or should I just save money and buy good speaker later. Even later, I don't think will be spending more than $200-$300 each on speakers.

If you listened to the Polk and Klipsch speakers and preferred them, then save up and get those or watch for online retailers having sales or open box deals. What model Klipsch and Polk speakers did you like? Also keep in mind that what you hear in a store is not always how the speakers will sound in your house. How large is the room you will put these speakers in? Is it open to other rooms? Do you like to listen loud?

If you only have the budget for the Pioneer speakers, it is not a bad thing. For the money, those are some tremendous speakers and will blow away your HTIB speakers anyday of the week.
post #20 of 29 Old 04-12-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

If you listened to the Polk and Klipsch speakers and preferred them, then save up and get those or watch for online retailers having sales or open box deals. What model Klipsch and Polk speakers did you like? Also keep in mind that what you hear in a store is not always how the speakers will sound in your house. How large is the room you will put these speakers in? Is it open to other rooms? Do you like to listen loud?

If you only have the budget for the Pioneer speakers, it is not a bad thing. For the money, those are some tremendous speakers and will blow away your HTIB speakers anyday of the week.

The pioneer may be good speakers for the money, but I guess to me I couldn't hear the crispness and clarity that I could from them as compared to the polks.

Its going to go in the family room 20X19 and then the room open up to the kitchen and morning room.

I am also planning to prewire for 5.1, and want the floor standing speakers.
post #21 of 29 Old 04-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

The pioneer may be good speakers for the money, but I guess to me I couldn't hear the crispness and clarity that I could from them as compared to the polks.

Its going to go in the family room 20X19 and then the room open up to the kitchen and morning room.

I am also planning to prewire for 5.1, and want the floor standing speakers.

That crispness and clarity of the Polks could've been misleading. You said you listened to these in store next to the Pioneer's. This is no way to really compare speakers, as you will never be listening to these speakers in the store again once you buy them. If at all possible you would want to audition them in your room. Believe it or not this plays a huge role in how speakers sound. What sounds like crispness and clarity in the store may sound too harsh in your home. You may actually find the Pioneers to be more balanced and clearer than the Polks in your own home.

post #22 of 29 Old 04-12-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:

I think that speakers are so strongly influenced by the rooms that they are in that store demos are worthless or close to worthless.
post #23 of 29 Old 04-12-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is the issue, i am in an apartment now and will be moving soon to the house. So i can't buy the pioneers now and test them in the apartment and then move to the house and find out that I don't like it there in that room in the house. Same could be said for the Polks, however, since i liked it in the store environment, chances are I will like it in other rooms as well.

Also, the fact that I am just an average person which no ear like some of you here. So anything other than TV speakers sounds great.
post #24 of 29 Old 04-12-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

New Egg has the def tech sm340/450s for 170-270/pr about every other week. Just one yr ago, the sm450s were 599.00 from def tech! The correct center is the clr2000, I think and it can be hard to find. Amazon had them a couple weeks ago for 340 dollars...

post #25 of 29 Old 04-12-2013, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I convinced a buddy to purchase and open box pair of infinity 363's for $300. I have to say for 300-400/pair they are amazing. Short of building a speaker yourself I think it will be very difficult to beat their sound. I like their drivers and to me they sound really good. Amazon has them for $400/pair right now which I think is a pretty good deal. If you can give them a listen I highly recommend it. If you think towers are too big you can save yourself some space and get some nice book shelf speakers. Bookshelves are usually much cheaper and if you pair them with a good sub they can deliver the same experience.
post #26 of 29 Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 148
Quote:

...but you have a 500+ dollar reciever and are talking most about entry level speakers.

I see nothing wrong with this. This is not an attack on you personally, but this persistent advice of having to spend X times on speakers relative to the price of the receiver. I have a $1300 receiver (Denon 4311) paired up with the $200 (for the pair) Infinity P363s. They sound incredible. Not just for the price, but in general. I also have a pair of Revel Performa2 F52s and Philharmonic 3s. In the same room they sound almost as good. If I had to put a number, I'd say they have 70% the performance of the other speakers at less than a twentieth the cost. I've brought them over to my brother's house who has a pair of $800 Polk Rti12s paired with a $300 Yamaha receiver. The Infinity sounded better to both of us. I think basing your speaker purchase relative to receiver cost is just limiting your options. Based on that logic, I should have bought a $50 receiver to pair with the P363s. Anyone know of any good receivers with ARC, Audyssey, MCACC or YPAO out there for $50?

To the OP, if you are considering the P363s, don't let the fact that you receiver cost more than twice the cost of the speakers deter you. They are incredible speakers. If you are also considering the Pioneer F52 give Dennis at Philharmonic.com a call. He has an upgraded pair for $200. With the money you save, invest on room treatments. That will make a MUCH bigger improvement in sound than upgrading to $600 speakers. I've auditioned many speakers up to $3000/pair and none sounded as good as the Infinity to me. As an example of how much room interaction makes a difference, I brought my Revels to my parents house and they sounded horrible. I went from loving them and wanting to listen to any kind of music on them for hours on end in my treated room, to having little interest in sitting through more than a song at my parent's house. Same Denon 4311 receiver was used in both locations.
post #27 of 29 Old 04-12-2013, 11:06 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I suggest that you consider the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers, which are available for $350 per pair.

Those have had excellent reviews from various high-end audio and HT magazines; nice-sounding speakers.

A pair of those will give you a nice start, and the 10CC center speaker is $249 when you want to add it.

The low sensitivity of the Pioneer speakers is not a good match for most HT receivers, because they require too much power for peak sound levels. Your receiver is more powerful than most, however, so this may not be an issue for you.

+1. Not many people consider Wharfedale's here in the States, but they sound awesome. If I had $600 to spend on the front three speakers, these would be it. Polk and Klipsch sound awesome at first. They sound crisp and clear and wow you with the "in your face" sound, but many find them to be fatiguing after either owning them for a while or listening to warmer speakers. The Wharfedales won't "wow" you upon initial listen they way Klipsch speakers do, but you probably will appreciate them more and more over time. Wharfedales sound warmer but at the same time are as detailed and clear, if not more, than Klipsch or Polk in your price range. When I first got my Wharfedales, I thought they sounded less crisp than Klipsch. After listening to them for a few months and then going back and listening to my Klipsch that were stored, I can tell you it was literally painful. I thought "how the heck did I deal with this harsh sound all that time?" If your room is bright sounding (no carpet, no rug, lots of windows and hard surfaces) the Klipsch/Polk speakers will probably be way bright (painful wink.gif). If you have think carpeting, big thick curtains, a cloth couch and ottoman, than Klipsch might be a good choice. Also when listening in a showroom, try to compare the room to yours(carpeted? hardwood? drywall? windows? etc) . The Infinity P363 and Philharmonic speakers are also solid recommendations. I have owned Infinity, Klipsch, Wharfedale, Paradigm and have heard many other speaker brands.

Main
Selah Prestigio Dual Epik Empires
Desk
GR Research N2x BIC F12 Ultrasone Pro 650 Velodyne vpulse
TV
Wharfedale 9.6
post #28 of 29 Old 04-13-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I convinced a buddy to purchase and open box pair of infinity 363's for $300. I have to say for 300-400/pair they are amazing

Where did he buy it from ( no fry's here)
Quote:
I see nothing wrong with this. This is not an attack on you personally, but this persistent advice of having to spend X times on speakers relative to the price of the receiver. I have a $1300 receiver (Denon 4311) paired up with the $200 (for the pair) Infinity P363s. They sound incredible. Not just for the price, but in general. I also have a pair of Revel Performa2 F52s and Philharmonic 3s. In the same room they sound almost as good. If I had to put a number, I'd say they have 70% the performance of the other speakers at less than a twentieth the cost. I've brought them over to my brother's house who has a pair of $800 Polk Rti12s paired with a $300 Yamaha receiver. The Infinity sounded better to both of us. I think basing your speaker purchase relative to receiver cost is just limiting your options.

Thanks for explaining this so well. i was almost convinced that I should save up and buy more expensive speakers.

Quote:
+1. Not many people consider Wharfedale's here in the States, but they sound awesome. If I had $600 to spend on the front three speakers, these would be it. Polk and Klipsch sound awesome at first. They sound crisp and clear and wow you with the "in your face" sound, but many find them to be fatiguing after either owning them for a while or listening to warmer speakers. The Wharfedales won't "wow" you upon initial listen they way Klipsch speakers do, but you probably will appreciate them more and more over time. Wharfedales sound warmer but at the same time are as detailed and clear, if not more, than Klipsch or Polk in your price range. When I first got my Wharfedales, I thought they sounded less crisp than Klipsch. After listening to them for a few months and then going back and listening to my Klipsch that were stored, I can tell you it was literally painful. I thought "how the heck did I deal with this harsh sound all that time?" If your room is bright sounding (no carpet, no rug, lots of windows and hard surfaces) the Klipsch/Polk speakers will probably be way bright (painful ). If you have think carpeting, big thick curtains, a cloth couch and ottoman, than Klipsch might be a good choice. Also when listening in a showroom, try to compare the room to yours(carpeted? hardwood? drywall? windows? etc) . The Infinity P363 and Philharmonic speakers are also solid recommendations. I have owned Infinity, Klipsch, Wharfedale, Paradigm and have heard many other speaker brands.

Yes the room will carpeted, However, i don't think I have the money to go up Klipsch, so I may either end up buying the infinity 363 or the Polk 75t. Whichever is lower priced.
post #29 of 29 Old 04-13-2013, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'm in Canada. It was the last pair at a Best Buy over here. Usually in Canada we have to pay a lot more to get anything so I was surprised when I saw the price of these. I would keep an eye out for these at retailers such as Best Buy.com and amazon.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page