Hsu HB-1MK2 bookshelf speakers plus STF-1 Subwoofer. Best Bang for the Buck? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 04-08-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi Guys,
Been a few years since I've needed your advice, but I'm looking for a nice speaker setup for my Garage workbench. I have been very happy with my Hsu Subwoofer and I thought if this new Speaker Line is as good as the subwoofer line I'd give it a go.

Anybody have these speakers or could comment on them in general? Is this my best "bang for the buck" or is there something else I should be looking at in the same general price range?

Hsu Value 1 - 2.1 Package

1 STF-1 Subwoofer
2 HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelf Speakers

Obsessed is such an ugly word... We like to think of ourselves as extremely focused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 04-08-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 70
hey barey! How are you?

As a package deal, it certainly is at least one of the best bangs for the buck.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #3 of 40 Old 04-08-2013, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

hey barey! How are you?

As a package deal, it certainly is at least one of the best bangs for the buck.

Hey! Long time no see, cschang! Been a while since the HSU vs SVS wars eh? biggrin.gif

I've been out of the loop for awhile. Any other suggestions for a good bookshelf speaker? I like KEF quite a bit too, and can buy those on Amazon PRIME. I'm considering getting two KEFS and matching them up with the HSU Sub as an option too. Any thoughts on other speaker companies I can look into?

Obsessed is such an ugly word... We like to think of ourselves as extremely focused.
post #4 of 40 Old 04-08-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 476
The Hsu speakers were recently compared to some KEFs in a shoot out here at Sound and Vision. Surprisingly the listeners at S&V didn't seem that enamored with the KEF speakers. I think if it were the Q or R series, it might have been a different story.
post #5 of 40 Old 04-08-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

The Hsu speakers were recently compared to some KEFs in a shoot out here at Sound and Vision. Surprisingly the listeners at S&V didn't seem that enamored with the KEF speakers. I think if it were the Q or R series, it might have been a different story.

Hey thanks for the link shadyJ. That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Off to research.... smile.gif

post #6 of 40 Old 04-08-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like they loved the HSU's. I'll probably go with them... I listen to a lot of Electronic music and they sound like they are perfect for that. smile.gif

post #7 of 40 Old 04-08-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

Hey! Long time no see, cschang! Been a while since the HSU vs SVS wars eh? biggrin.gif

I've been out of the loop for awhile. Any other suggestions for a good bookshelf speaker? I like KEF quite a bit too, and can buy those on Amazon PRIME. I'm considering getting two KEFS and matching them up with the HSU Sub as an option too. Any thoughts on other speaker companies I can look into?

Those were the good 'ole days Barey!! biggrin.gif

Hey...I would say have a listen to the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE's . With the STF-1, also a great bang system. I also like the KEFs as well.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #8 of 40 Old 04-08-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Those were the good 'ole days Barey!! biggrin.gif

Hey...I would say have a listen to the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE's . With the STF-1, also a great bang system. I also like the KEFs as well.

Will do. I'm googling now. Thanks. smile.gif

post #9 of 40 Old 04-08-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Another great bang for the buck speaker is the def tech sm450! Being discontinued, you can often get this speaker fir a few shekels over 200/pr! I own the speaker and it does very well for both HT and music (needs a sub for good HT!).

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #10 of 40 Old 04-08-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks like they loved the HSU's. I'll probably go with them... I listen to a lot of Electronic music and they sound like they are perfect for that. smile.gif

I have the Hsus and I love electronic music. I can listen to them at a good volume for awhile without having my ears feel like their bleeding, unlike my Infinity Primus speakers. I like to throw on a 90 min drum n bass set and fire up a computer game, and I am a happy camper, at least until the music runs out.
post #11 of 40 Old 04-09-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the Hsus and I love electronic music. I can listen to them at a good volume for awhile without having my ears feel like their bleeding, unlike my Infinity Primus speakers. I like to throw on a 90 min drum n bass set and fire up a computer game, and I am a happy camper, at least until the music runs out.

Man that's great news ShadyJ. I'm seeing nothing but glowing reviews on them and they sound like the kind of sound signature I would enjoy (lots of Bass and smooth highs). About 10 years ago I had a problem with my Hsu VTF Sub and Dr. Hsu himself came by my house to deliver a new one. He's a great guy and I'm happy to see he's still in business and prospering.

Side Note: I just ordered my Networkable Receiver! I found a Sony that has BlueTooth and WiFi built-in. I have limited space on the workbench so this is a huge plus. Can't wait to get up and running out there! smile.gif

Sony STRDN1030 Wi-Fi Network A/V Receiver

post #12 of 40 Old 04-09-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

About 10 years ago I had a problem with my Hsu VTF Sub and Dr. Hsu himself came by my house to deliver a new one. He's a great guy and I'm happy to see he's still in business and prospering.
Lol, a doctor who still makes house calls, I guess he's an old fashioned kind of guy.
post #13 of 40 Old 04-09-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lol, a doctor who still makes house calls, I guess he's an old fashioned kind of guy.

Order is done! Now I'm wondering if I should have gone for the 10 inch Subwoofer for $75.00 more... I hate it when I second guess myself two seconds after placing an order! biggrin.gif
Quote:
This email is to confirm the receipt of your recent order from Hsu Research.
If you have any questions or changes regarding your purchase, simply reply to this e-mail or contact us at 1-714-666-9260.
Thank you again for your order from Hsu Research. We truly appreciate your business.

The Hsu Research Sales Team
http://www.hsuresearch.com

Followings are your order details

Via FedEx Ground
Payment Visa

Name Code Qty Each Options
STF-1 with 2 HB-1 MK2 in value1-2sb 1 549.00
Satin Black
Subtotal 549.00
Shipping 88.00
Tax 43.92
Total 680.92

post #14 of 40 Old 04-09-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 349
They're great speakers and should serve you well. I have a rosenut pair with my vtf3.3. The system rocks, but what's really surprising is how well the HB-1s do on their own. Congrats and let us know what you think of them!
post #15 of 40 Old 04-09-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

They're great speakers and should serve you well. I have a rosenut pair with my vtf3.3. The system rocks, but what's really surprising is how well the HB-1s do on their own. Congrats and let us know what you think of them!

Thanks! I'm thrilled to have found something so highly regarded that still fits my budget! smile.gif

post #16 of 40 Old 04-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I went with HSU , as well, mainly because of the way the good Dr. played his cards. No multiple lines of speakers, with a range of 'good' to 'better' to 'best'. He designed ONE speaker, which sounds good to him. PERIOD. No fluff, no junk, no nonsense. I agree, he has one helluva good speaker in the HB1 . It is a very capable speaker, at a very reasonable price, without the 'marketing hyperbole' .

Once again, I thank Dr Hsu for what he's done. I wish him all the success he deserves, and has earned.

In a similar vein, I extend an open offer to audition a full HSU set-up, in my home, to anyone local to East Tennessee, or willing to make the drive.

Joseph

If you want a really good one, you'll have to learn a foreign language. german, for instance...
post #17 of 40 Old 04-21-2013, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I approve this message!

So I have the HB1's and the STF 2 and I can't be happier. My good buddy has the same set up but with the STF 1, and I gotta say I was surprised on how well it sounded. His room is a bit smaller, but the STF1 definitely packs a wallop for it's size.

You'll be happy.
post #18 of 40 Old 04-22-2013, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco View Post

I approve this message!

So I have the HB1's and the STF 2 and I can't be happier. My good buddy has the same set up but with the STF 1, and I gotta say I was surprised on how well it sounded. His room is a bit smaller, but the STF1 definitely packs a wallop for it's size.

You'll be happy.

I've had them for a while now, and I couldn't be more pleased. They sound absolutely fantastic. smile.gif

post #19 of 40 Old 04-22-2013, 07:15 PM

Liked: 10
How do the HB1 + HC1 perform with movies? I would love to get these due to the price, looks, and awesome reviews.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
post #20 of 40 Old 04-22-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crea78 View Post

How do the HB1 + HC1 perform with movies? I would love to get these due to the price, looks, and awesome reviews.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Awesome. My dad can't hear $hit. Since getting the Hsus, he's had no problems w/dialogue. The HB-1 is fantastic too, clean and loud!
post #21 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Awesome. My dad can't hear $hit. Since getting the Hsus, he's had no problems w/dialogue. The HB-1 is fantastic too, clean and loud!

Thanks for the reply. I originally had planned to get the Level 3 bookshelves + center from HTD but these look to be better. I know this is off topic, and will be only one question. With the HB-1 + HC-1 what in-ceiling speakers would match the Hsus? The HTD HD-R65: http://www.htd.com/HD-R65-ceiling-speakers or Micca R-6C: http://www.amazon.com/Micca-Reference-R-6C-6-5-Inch-In-Ceiling/dp/B008QQ9VEG. Just want to get the ones that will closely match the Hsus front end before I make any kind of purchase. Thanks in advance smile.gif
post #22 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 05:47 AM

Liked: 11
I'm in the market for new HT speakers and these look good. I've listened to a few different speakers and my favorites so far are the B&W CM5s. I can't afford those, so I'm looking for a poor man's CM5. Reading through the reviews of the HB-1s, someone mentioned that they sounded like their B&W reference bookshelf. Would these sound similar to the CM5s?

I plan to just buy the bookshelves and the center first, but I could be talked into adding a sub to the package if it is a great deal wink.gif. I already have a sub (Cerwin Vega LW-12), but I plan to add a second. The CV is OK at filling bass, but it lacks punch. Which of the HSU subs would be good to add tight "punchy" bass?
post #23 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa frank View Post

I'm in the market for new HT speakers and these look good. I've listened to a few different speakers and my favorites so far are the B&W CM5s. I can't afford those, so I'm looking for a poor man's CM5. Reading through the reviews of the HB-1s, someone mentioned that they sounded like their B&W reference bookshelf. Would these sound similar to the CM5s?

I plan to just buy the bookshelves and the center first, but I could be talked into adding a sub to the package if it is a great deal wink.gif. I already have a sub (Cerwin Vega LW-12), but I plan to add a second. The CV is OK at filling bass, but it lacks punch. Which of the HSU subs would be good to add tight "punchy" bass?
The sub choice kinda depends on your room size, what are your dimensions? I have the Vtf3mk3 in a 27x15x8' room that is open via doorways to the rest of the house and it does a fantastic job. I haven't heard the cm5 but heard the cm8&9 yesterday. The highs seemed very muffled or veiled as if they were behind a dense curtain. Listened to my HB-1s when I got home and the sound was much clearer. Highs were clean but not bright.
post #24 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by crea78 View Post

. With the HB-1 + HC-1 what in-ceiling speakers would match the Hsus? Thanks in advance smile.gif

The Hsu HIW-1 would be the closest match to the HC1 and the HB1. Did you notice they have those? smile.gif

If you want a really good one, you'll have to learn a foreign language. german, for instance...
post #25 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 01:24 PM

My living room isn't set up for in-walls since my kitchen is directly behind (open floor plan). Also bookshelves won't do either, so my only option are in-ceilings.

Tap-a-talked from my Galaxy Nexus
post #26 of 40 Old 12-04-2013, 02:19 PM

What do you guys think of HSU Research speakers.

Ultra15 - 5.1 Package

Seeing there is really no way to try them out it makes it kinda hard to buy them. It's a good deal for $1900 including shipping. That's if the speakers are any good.

post #27 of 40 Old 12-04-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 152
HSU makes good speakers according to many sources, but I haven't heard them. I would, however, make sure you appreciate the "horn tweeter" sound!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #28 of 40 Old 12-04-2013, 02:46 PM

Is there a way to delete this post?

post #29 of 40 Old 12-04-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

HSU makes good speakers according to many sources, but I haven't heard them. I would, however, make sure you appreciate the "horn tweeter" sound!

I do not like the horn on the Klipsch RF82's. from what I have read the horns on the HSU's are much less bright.

post #30 of 40 Old 12-04-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersteve1938 View Post

I do not like the horn on the Klipsch RF82's. from what I have read the horns on the HSU's are much less bright.

Yeah. These sound nothing like Klipsch. They are very smooth and have a very large sound stage and a huge sweet spot. I am constantly amazed at how great these sound. They rival my Kefs which cost many, many, times more. The subwoofer and the speakers combine seamlessly too. It's a wonderful system. About the only thing I'd change, is I'd ask HSU to come up with a better looking logo (or make the one they use removable). Beyond that, they are pretty near perfect and worth many times more than I paid for them.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page