has anyone ever used a Bose Acoustimass speaker system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-08-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im new to sound systems but i picked up a bose acoustimass5 series 2 speaker system today, i haven't purchased a receiver yet but i got a pretty good deal. sub, 2 satellite speakers and 2 bose series 21 speakers. i was curious if these sound pretty good and when you hook them up do you put the speaker wires in the rear inputs on the receiver or front inputs for the speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-08-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 513
You should do a search on this forum for Bose, it will be a lot of fun.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-08-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 336
B O S E is a four letter word around here in all senses. wink.gif

Unless free is all you can afford and you got these for free then you would be better off buying something/anything else.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #4 of 16 Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
If you'd asked before buying it you'd have been told not to. Now that you have you'll be told by all to take it back, save for a couple of Bose Trolls who are likely to make an appearance any time now.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-08-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 389
This is what I started with. My wife bought me a complete system as a Christmas gift a few years ago. It was a Bose acoustimass and it also came with an Onkyo receiver. Needless to say I hooked it up and took it back to the store the next day. I think I really hurt her feelings because she was so excited to give it to me. However, things have changed quite a bit biggrin.gif and she loves our H/T system.

The only thing that matters is that you like it. If you hook it up and you feel like you do not like it, take it back. I will tell you first hand, it is not very impressive and you will outgrow it quick. I think this would be a great little system for a dorm or a bedroom, but for your main HT system, I would say build your own system.

My System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dedicated theater room build. 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-08-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 765
If you got half off MSRP, then maybe you didn't do so bad. But otherwise, it's pretty easy to best a Bose Acoustimass set for even a little less money.

If you'd like to hear more, how much did your system cost? We could recommend some other options, like the Martin Logan MLT-2 setup. These are rebadged Paradigm Cinema 90 speakers (I think they are the same company now), which has gotten amazing reviews: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_3/paradigm-cinema-speakers-9-2002.html

Your questions are answered:

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #7 of 16 Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I know its not the best but I paid 80.00 and got 2 model 21 speakers a center rca speaker 2 satellite speakers and the bose acoustimass center speaker.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-08-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you got it for $80 and it works well, stick with it smile.gif

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #9 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
$80 is a fair price for Bose. That would be about what they're really worth new. If you like it then you've made a good deal. If not, I'm sure you could sell it for substantially more and get something that will blow it away for what you sold it for. There are a whole host of people out there that think Bose is the best and will pay a lot more for it than its really worth.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #10 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Well, I suppose I'll be the bose "troll" who hasn't purchased a bose product in 20+ years, mind you.

Here's a radical question: how does it SOUND to you? Do you enjoy it- especially when weighed against the $80 you spent?

Bose has 3 huge problems to the av techie/stereophile:

1. They realize that most people could care less about their ~200-300hz gap in playback and much prefer to implement fantastically small- honestly, nearly invisible- satellite speakers which simply cannot entirely "cover" the response gap from the sub (at least they used to fail to do this, perhaps they increased performance in this area, now). My brother has a set in his living room and it sounds just fine to me. And I'm a guy with this in my living room:

2. New, they do not offer a ton of sonic value when contrasted with other options. Yes, most would call them overpriced/expensive and they would not be incorrect.

and

3. They spell their name B O S E. At least half on AVS who bash the living daylights out of them have no clue why they do...but just cause it's the "avs" thing to do. Go figure. rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

I'd love to hear them go up blindly, level matched, against these other "infinitely superior" options that are even remotely "sized" to reach the audience the bose systems are. But then, the latter is not even a consideration to most on this site.

Horses for courses.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #11 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Well, I suppose I'll be the bose "troll" who hasn't purchased a bose product in 20+ years, mind you.

Here's a radical question: how does it SOUND to you? Do you enjoy it- especially when weighed against the $80 you spent?

Bose has 3 huge problems to the av techie/stereophile:

1. They realize that most people could care less about their ~200-300hz gap in playback and much prefer to implement fantastically small- honestly, nearly invisible- satellite speakers which simply cannot entirely "cover" the response gap from the sub (at least they used to fail to do this, perhaps they increased performance in this area, now). My brother has a set in his living room and it sounds just fine to me. And I'm a guy with this in my living room:

2. New, they do not offer a ton of sonic value when contrasted with other options. Yes, most would call them overpriced/expensive and they would not be incorrect.

and

3. They spell their name B O S E. At least half on AVS who bash the living daylights out of them have no clue why they do...but just cause it's the "avs" thing to do. Go figure. rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

I'd love to hear them go up blindly, level matched, against these other "infinitely superior" options that are even remotely "sized" to reach the audience the bose systems are. But then, the latter is not even a consideration to most on this site.

Horses for courses.

James
That is sweet, I likey!! It is like the 60's meets 2013! biggrin.gif Nicely done. Are they S2's ??

My System

post #12 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy89 View Post

Well I know its not the best but I paid 80.00 and got 2 model 21 speakers a center rca speaker 2 satellite speakers and the bose acoustimass center speaker.
Did you get the sub?? For some reason all the speakers go into the subwoofer and then out to the receiver. That is how my set worked from what I remember. That was a major problem for me. The set would work for most people if you could upgrade the sub or dual subs, but there is no way to do that with the acoustimass system. That was one of the reasons I took it back because the sub that came with it was a 6inch in a small plastic box and it was no way compatible with my room. It took 4 15's to give me what I want biggrin.gif:D Also I am not 100% but I don't think you can run audyssey with that system because it has it's own processing system through the sub. Just something to think about when you add a receiver. I would double check with that, but I would think speaker readings would be blocked??

Certainly you got a good buy and if you like like and it works for you, they you got a good buy and enjoy it.

My System

post #13 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Did you get the sub?? For some reason all the speakers go into the subwoofer and then out to the receiver. That is how my set worked from what I remember. That was a major problem for me. The set would work for most people if you could upgrade the sub or dual subs, but there is no way to do that with the acoustimass system.

But you can still add a sub if you have an AVR. I don't think the Acoustimass 5 has sub inputs, does it? So it must have a cross over that runs off the left/right channels (and surrounds). One could buy a new sub and use the LFE plug on the receiver. Get a good sub, and one could set the crossover very high and take most of the load off the Bose bass module.

post #14 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Some of us who are occasionally unkind to Bose do so because we actually bought Bose at some point and have regretted it!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #15 of 16 Old 04-29-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

That is sweet, I likey!! It is like the 60's meets 2013! biggrin.gif Nicely done. Are they S2's ??

nah (re the subs) DIY Dayton HO's. thanks for the compliment, though.

Jamez

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #16 of 16 Old 12-30-2013, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I sit on the fence here.

I have companion 5's on my imac and they sound great, and I wanted the acoustimass 10's after hearing them demoed.

But after I had read the reviews i decided for a boston acoustics system for less money and hopefully a better sound. Question is will I be disappointed or l feel I've made the right decision?

Will hopefully find out in the next fortnight when it all turns up wink.gif

7.1 IIz heightsOnkyo Tx-nr626 a/v receiver
Boston acoustics soundware xs se surrounds and Sub
Boston acoustics A360 Floorstanders with A25 bookshelf Centre.
Youview box, PS3, Apple TV
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page