Manhattan alcove studio apartment - best speakers for TV and music? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-08-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in Manhattan and have a 650-750 sq. ft apartment. My TV is a 55" Sony Bravia KDL-52W5100 which sits about 10 ft. from my couch. Up until about a week ago I've been using my TV speakers for TV and movies and a Bose Sound dock II for music from my computer. I purchased the Samsung HW-FM45C http://www.costco.com/Samsung-HW-FM45C-Soundbar-with-Wireless-Subwoofer.product.100036999.html and think it's pretty cool that I can have my TV, computer and phone (via Bluetooth) hooked up to it. The sound is better than the TV speakers but I'm not sure if the $250+ and extra hardware (looks a bit tacky) is worth it.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good audio setup I can have in my small apartment? I would really prefer not to have speaker wires going all over the place as it would be more noticeable in my apartment than a bigger room setup. My budget is up to $1000. I would prefer not to go the receiver route with a full blown setup as I don't really play music and movies that loud given that I'm in an apartment building. But I would like to hear good sound with good voice clarity from my movies and music (mostly classical, some rock).

Any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-09-2013, 04:51 AM

Liked: 18
Sounds like you might want a good HTIB setup. Why not take a look at those?
post #3 of 6 Old 04-09-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Here is an inexpensive package that may interest you. There are few Mordaunt Short owners here, but I've never, anywhere, seen a bad comment about them. I own the slightly larger Carnival 2 bookshelf model, which I really like.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MORDCARNPACK/MORDAUNT-SHORT-Carnival-Home-Theater-Speaker-Package/1.html

For receiver you might want to consider Denon 1613 or 1713.

Good luck!

post #4 of 6 Old 04-09-2013, 06:45 AM

Liked: 18
I think he said that he does not want to buy a separate reciever.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-09-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 159
With $1000 budget if you can get over your adversion to going the receiver route. You will rewarded with better sound quality
post #6 of 6 Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 PM

Liked: 10
I live in Manhattan and have a similar space. I tried about everything out there (size wise) from very high end large tower speakers to small and large sized bookshelf speakers with subwoofers.

I gave up on the subwoofer. no matter what you can't be a good neighbor. the large tower speakers were as bad or even worse than the subwoofer for annoying the neighbors.

large bookshelf speakers have not been an issue though. I had just a 2.0 system for awhile but recently bought the matching center channel and went to a receiver instead of an integrated amp.

I'm quite happy with my pioneer s1222k. it replaced a peachtree nova ($1300)

i think for movies it's a great improvement and to my ears the music sounds pretty much the same, if not better, due to, probably, the room calibration of the receiver.

to my ears, adding the center channel was definitely worth it for movies and shows. dialogue sounds better and is easier to understand, and the overall movie experience is improved.

the speakers I use are Monitor Audio RX2 silver on b&w stands filled with sand ($100) and the matching center channel. i paid about $1000 for all 3 speakers. the receiver was $500 from newegg
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page