Help choosing in-wall speakers and general questions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 04-08-2013, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I recently moved to a new home with a living room approx 20X15 with 20 ft ceilings. I just ordered a Panasonic 60" Viera Plasma and realized my old micro polk system that sounded great in my apartment wont cut it in the new house. I also decided the 5 speakers need to be in wall. I was originally going to go with 4 Polk RC85i as the surrounds and the Polk 255c-RT as the center and use my old Polk PSW650 sub in the corner.
I then started looking at the BIC America HT8W as my 4 speakers but cant find an in-wall matching center.....
Then I looked at the Emotiva UAW-8.2 which look awesome, but again no in-wall matching center....
And finally I see a lot of people like the HTD HD-W80 speakers but no in-wall matching center.....

Is there a reason I cant find a true in-wall center channel speaker in the other brands? Also, what is everyone's take on the speakers for my size room Polk, BIC, Emotiva, or HTS? It will me 80-20 movies-music. I'll be using a Denon 3312 to power them.

Thanks

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-09-2013, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Also take a look at the Monoprice in wall speakers. They do sound good. And they are very affordable. There is a whole super long thread about them. In fact if you do some searching of this forum you'll find tons of threads with lots of great info about a bunch of different in wall speaker options. Good luck.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-09-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks,

I don't mind spending $1000 for 5 decent in-wall speakers. Looking for others that have in-wall setups to see what they have.
post #4 of 19 Old 04-09-2013, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For a grand ,I would take a hard look at Polk RT Vanishing series, 255 CRT center , 265 RT l/r & 65 rt in the rears, all timber matched, way better warranty & quality then Monoprice! Another choice is Speakercraft and Niles can be found on EBay for great deals.. the Niles have aluminum back boxes and are goin for $200 pr!
Imo you can really do good for a grand. I would rather have my old Infinity's then monoprice.!the only MP I like is there 8" Cieling angled Kevlar! I'm still using it, & those are next/ last to be replaced. i don't care for there other wall speaks. I've went through a lot in walls!!! I am now using B&W's
post #5 of 19 Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvfreak View Post

For a grand ,I would take a hard look at Polk RT Vanishing series, 255 CRT center , 265 RT l/r & 65 rt in the rears, all timber matched, way better warranty & quality then Monoprice! Another choice is Speakercraft and Niles can be found on EBay for great deals.. the Niles have aluminum back boxes and are goin for $200 pr!
Imo you can really do good for a grand. I would rather have my old Infinity's then monoprice.!the only MP I like is there 8" Cieling angled Kevlar! I'm still using it, & those are next/ last to be replaced. i don't care for there other wall speaks. I've went through a lot in walls!!! I am now using B&W's

Ive been looking at the Polk RC85i's which seem to be popular but discontinued by Polk but still sold else where, and getting 4 of them and the 255RT center but not sure if they are timbre matched. I like the 265 RT's, but not sure if I have the room for them vertical over my fireplace.
My real issue is my front 3 speakers or going over a fireplace that is hollow behind it and I would like the speakers to be factory sealed.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-12-2013, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedernd View Post

Hi,

I recently moved to a new home with a living room approx 20X15 with 20 ft ceilings. I just ordered a Panasonic 60" Viera Plasma and realized my old micro polk system that sounded great in my apartment wont cut it in the new house. I also decided the 5 speakers need to be in wall. I was originally going to go with 4 Polk RC85i as the surrounds and the Polk 255c-RT as the center and use my old Polk PSW650 sub in the corner.
I then started looking at the BIC America HT8W as my 4 speakers but cant find an in-wall matching center.....
Then I looked at the Emotiva UAW-8.2 which look awesome, but again no in-wall matching center....
And finally I see a lot of people like the HTD HD-W80 speakers but no in-wall matching center.....

Is there a reason I cant find a true in-wall center channel speaker in the other brands? Also, what is everyone's take on the speakers for my size room Polk, BIC, Emotiva, or HTS? It will me 80-20 movies-music. I'll be using a Denon 3312 to power them.

Thanks

Dave
Whats wrong with using another UAW-8.2 for your center? Emotiva's page on it says it will work fine as a center.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
post #7 of 19 Old 04-12-2013, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

I have 24" studs for my center so it would be nice to have dual woofers like most other center speakers. I'm having a tough time finding enclosed in-wall speakers for sub $2000 for 5 speakers. I was looking at the Axiom speakers but read some mixed things about them. Any recommendations?
post #8 of 19 Old 04-12-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

I have 24" studs for my center so it would be nice to have dual woofers like most other center speakers. I'm having a tough time finding enclosed in-wall speakers for sub $2000 for 5 speakers. I was looking at the Axiom speakers but read some mixed things about them. Any recommendations?

For your mains, I really like the idea of enclosed. For your budget you could get three of these for your mains:
http://www.definitivetech.com/products/uiw-rls-iii

Around $1100 shipped for the three from trusted ebay dealers.

For your surrounds you could do something like this:
http://www.definitivetech.com/products/uiw-rss-iii

Around $650 shipped (for the pair) from trusted ebay dealers.

I am running UIW RLS II speakers with RSS III surrounds and am very happy. I auditioned many in-wall speakers over the past few years and IMHO, to get better speakers you are looking at brands like Triad, James, BGRadia, etc. In other words tripled your budget smile.gif

I currently have Speakercraft AIM series installed in another room, and have also installed Polk and Home Theater Direct in-walls for my neighbors recently and the Deftech's, in my opinion, are far superior.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-13-2013, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually the ones with dual woofers are usually a worse design than those with a single one. You run into comb filtering issues with two.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs

post #10 of 19 Old 04-13-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

For your mains, I really like the idea of enclosed. For your budget you could get three of these for your mains:
http://www.definitivetech.com/products/uiw-rls-iii

Around $1100 shipped for the three from trusted ebay dealers.

For your surrounds you could do something like this:
http://www.definitivetech.com/products/uiw-rss-iii

Around $650 shipped (for the pair) from trusted ebay dealers.

I am running UIW RLS II speakers with RSS III surrounds and am very happy. I auditioned many in-wall speakers over the past few years and IMHO, to get better speakers you are looking at brands like Triad, James, BGRadia, etc. In other words tripled your budget smile.gif

I currently have Speakercraft AIM series installed in another room, and have also installed Polk and Home Theater Direct in-walls for my neighbors recently and the Deftech's, in my opinion, are far superior.

What would your opinions on 5 THIEL PowerPlane 1.2 speakers be? I could score 5 used for under $2,000. Also, I found the def tech on ebay but hardly any are authorized sellers, especially at the prices you were saying. That setup would be my first choice if I could get it for that price.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What would your opinions on 5 THIEL PowerPlane 1.2 speakers be? I could score 5 used for under $2,000. Also, I found the def tech on ebay but hardly any are authorized sellers, especially at the prices you were saying. That setup would be my first choice if I could get it for that price.

Sorry, never heard the Thiels. Are you able to listen to them first before you buy? I would definitely want to make sure there are no issues with them before you buy since they are used. I did see that they are 4ohm rated so you will want a 4ohm rated amp to power them. You may want to buy a receiver that pre-outs for an external amp in case you need more juice.

As for the Deftech's I added a 3 year Square Trade warranty (since they were not authorized dealers). Added like $200 to the cost. Well worth the big cost savings. I paid just under $1200 for my 3x RLS II's and dealer prices were quoting me $2600 on average.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-13-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Another option for you:
http://www.soundadvice.com/FREE-SHIPPING-Atlantic-Technology-THX-Ultra2-In-Wall-Speaker-B-Stock-IWTS-155-LCRS-Priced-Each-P5536.aspx

This is an authorized reseller so you get the warranty. These speakers have an optional back box that you can find for $75-85 online, which gives you the enclosure for your main three speakers. I have heard this speaker line from AT, and they are quite good. I would definitely consider them.

Here is the backer box:
http://www.hometheatergear.com/product/IN-BOX-155/Atlantic-Technology-IN-BOX-155-Optional-Back-Box-for-IWTS-155LCR-S.html

For surrounds, I would get two of these:
http://store.audioholics.com/speakers/in-wall-speakers/atlantic-technology-iwts-7lcr-s.html

I don't think the backer box is as important vs the mains, but you could look into building your own backer box if you are handy.
post #13 of 19 Old 04-14-2013, 09:46 AM

Hey everyone. I am relatively new to the forum. I recently bought a home with a basement. First time to ever have a basement so I am extremely excited to set up a great all-purpose movie/sports watching area. I have a budget of around $5K (+/- a little more for a new 3D tv)

I have a very large, open basement. However, I believe I will need to use in wall speakers due to the placement of doors and windows. I had a home theatre guy come on Tuesday and he made some recommendations. Looking for a little guidance from you experts.

A couple of caveats for my $5k budget:

First, I want to re-use as much of my "nice" speakers and components as possible. I picked up a new Pioneer SC-1522-K for the receiver. It has never been out of the box. I also have a pair of BG X3 Radia towers that I want to use for my front LR. I also have 2 other old receivers that I can use upstairs if required - 5-10 year old Pioneer and HK receivers.

Second, my focus is to make the basement kick-ass while also having a decent TV viewing area upstairs and integrating all of it through something like Contol4.
Thus the rest of the speakers, with the exception of the subwoofer, need to be in-wall/in-ceiling.

Here is are my questions:

He is recommending that I only invest in a 5.1 set up for the basement. I am a little confused as to why I shouldn't have an in-wall center channel, the BG Radia as my front L/R, and 4 rear channel in-ceiling speakers. Thoughts?

As for the basement in-wall speakers, he is recommending the Polk RT series and a Sunfire subwoofer (he is a dealer for both). His speaker prices are VERY high when compared to what I can buy on-line so I may just buy the equipment and have him install it. There seemed to be good comments and reviews on the Polk speakers, but I am not sure how they match with the BG Radias.

He is also going to integrate everything in the house via Control 4. This will include speakers already distributed throughout the house - kitchen, three-season room, three-season screened patio, and up-stairs living room.

I am having a TV mounted above the fire place in the up-stairs living room. The speakers are horrible on the TV, but I can't set up a nice surround system in the room as it is open and has vaulted ceilings. (Well, with money you can do anything, but focus is the basement). He recommended either a soundbar and sub combo or mounting my Bose Acoustimass 3 cube speakers behind the TV with the sub hidden in the room. I have never taken the Bose system out of the box, but I think if it works, it saves me about $1k in budget. Thoughts or suggestions?

Looking for some guidance on the approach and any "traps" I should look out for.

Thanks everyone
post #14 of 19 Old 04-14-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Just send an email to BG Radia and ask them if they have an inwall that would pair well with your fronts.

If its just sound you want from your TV upstairs, then mounting the Bose cubes behind it will be fine. If you want good sound, then mounting speakers behind the TV would not be a way To get good sound.

post #15 of 19 Old 04-14-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you already own an HDTV for your basement? I agree with the above, I would try and get a matching center channel from BG Radia to pair with your towers. I would 100% not go with a Sunfire sub, and would go with an Internet Direct sub from SVS, Hsu, PSA, or Rythmik. I would also get at least three quotes on the work you are getting done and some different opinions.
post #16 of 19 Old 04-15-2013, 04:36 AM

Thanks guys. I have two other dealers coming this week to provide quotes. I have a 55' Samsung in the basement now that I am moving upstairs. I am looking at a 65' 3D to replace it in the basement. Great idea on the BG Radia center channel. As for the speakers BEHIND the tv, while I am obviously not a AV expert, I seriously questioned this. However, he had something similar to this at his store and it sounded suprisingly good.
post #17 of 19 Old 04-15-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

If the speakers behind the TV sounds good enough to you that's all that really matters. Just make sure those speakers you heard weren't designed to go back there. There are tricks you can use to make the sound reflect off of surfaces and make the sound appear like its coming from where its supposed to.

post #18 of 19 Old 04-15-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy909 View Post

Thanks guys. I have two other dealers coming this week to provide quotes. I have a 55' Samsung in the basement now that I am moving upstairs. I am looking at a 65' 3D to replace it in the basement. Great idea on the BG Radia center channel. As for the speakers BEHIND the tv, while I am obviously not a AV expert, I seriously questioned this. However, he had something similar to this at his store and it sounded suprisingly good.

Have you considered a 3D projector and an acoustically transparent screen? I bought my 3D projector and 125" AT screen for right around $2K. The AT screen really opens up lots of speaker possibilities and the bigger the screen the better smile.gif
post #19 of 19 Old 04-16-2013, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Did some more measuring on the mantle above my fireplace where my in wall speakers were to go, and it appears in-wall will not work. I am now looking at GoldenEar Supersat 60, Monitor Shadow speakers, Def Tech Mythos, and Kef T305 on wall speakers as options. Sure sucks having a strange arrangement in my living room.
Reply Speakers

Tags
In Wall Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page