Speaker Base Options For Maximum Bass - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-09-2013, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Forums noob here... So I recently bought a pair of Kef XQ10 bookshelf speakers. I realize they are not a very bass-oriented speaker to begin with, and it will take 60-100 hours for them to find their voice regardless, but I'd like to maximize what bass they do (or will) have...

The speakers come with two base options...

The first are three thick metal spikes which screw into the bottom of the speaker, and can be used alone or on the included protective metal discs. I'd use the discs to protect my credenza top... They are basically just small discs machined down so that the point of the spike rests in the center, and they have thin fuzzy fabric on the side which makes contact with whatever they are placed on.

The second option can only be described as concave rubber wedges... They are rectangular, maybe 7 inches long by 5 inches wide and have a curved or concave top portion. Since these Kefs have a rounded bottom portion, they basically fit on top of / into the wedges, where they can be slid forward or backward to position the speaker either level or slightly up. The rubber is nice and thick, maybe 3/4" at the thickest and 1/3" at the thinnest. The speakers feel very stable on top of the wedges.

My gut tells me using the rubber wedges may produce better bass, but what do I know. I'd love it if some speaker experts would give me their opinions...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-09-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter View Post

I'd like to maximize what bass they do (or will) have...
The speakers come with two base options...
The first are three thick metal spikes which screw into the bottom of the speaker,
The second option can only be described as concave rubber wedges...
Neither will make any difference. If you want more bass you need a subwoofer.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-09-2013, 06:42 AM

Liked: 15
Bill is right, the stand will make no discernible difference in terms of bass output. You can try putting the speakers closer to the back wall, or maybe even closer to a corner. Just be careful as the bass you get from boundary reinforcements may not always be consistent in the listening area - scooting over two feet on the sofa makes the bass disappear. If you want additional bass output, the most consistent way to accomplish this that I know of, short of building a monstrous infinite baffle subwoofer, is a good sub close to the seating area. Given how bass excites the room, the further away the bass source is away from the seating area, the less reliable it will be.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-09-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Thanks for the replies, guys. Should have mentioned I am indeed using a subwoofer... A little Polk DSW2000. I think I'll put the Kefs on the wedges, as they look a little cleaner to my eye that way...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page