B&W 683 vs NHT Absolute Zero Tower - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 04-11-2013, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Their imaging is really good. The dipole speakers have the so called sweet spot,but lets be honest,we all usually listen to our stuff when we are alone,most people's wives or friends would be none the wiser unless you told them. So its really a moot point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 04-11-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post

Their imaging is really good. The dipole speakers have the so called sweet spot,but lets be honest,we all usually listen to our stuff when we are alone,most people's wives or friends would be none the wiser unless you told them. So its really a moot point.
Completely understood, but I meant more so for critical listening.

My basic take, and this is my take, is that music is not recorded by an engineer using dipole/bipoles, so prefer to use direct radiating. Of course, this could be taken even farther, and is by some.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #33 of 45 Old 04-12-2013, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Chang,you must not understand the concept then.. Music isn't recorded by a speaker period,its recorded by a microphone. Speakers are just the technology that drives the sound. Every speaker has its limitations. Read some reviews and listen to different speakers..
So when you say critical listening,are you actually looking to break down the song,or are you just wanting to listen to music and enjoy it? I don't understand the critical listening comment..
post #34 of 45 Old 04-12-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Perhaps chang was referring to the playback after recording and the monitors used for that.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #35 of 45 Old 04-12-2013, 10:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post

Chang,you must not understand the concept then.. Music isn't recorded by a speaker period,its recorded by a microphone. Speakers are just the technology that drives the sound. Every speaker has its limitations. Read some reviews and listen to different speakers..
So when you say critical listening,are you actually looking to break down the song,or are you just wanting to listen to music and enjoy it? I don't understand the critical listening comment..

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

Perhaps chang was referring to the playback after recording and the monitors used for that.
Clarification...

The engineer that is recording/mixing the music, is using direct radiating speakers during the process to hear what is being recorded/mixed, as well as the results of his work. I don't know of a mixing studio that uses dipole/bipoles to do this work for stereo recordings.

For critical listening, for me, it is sitting down in the sweet spot, and enjoying. It can be analytical or not.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #36 of 45 Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys...quick update.

so went over to Magnolia this weekend and checked out the 683s and paradigm studio60 again. as sweet as the mids and highs sounded in the 683, it was really lacking in the bass when compared to studio60 and monitor11. but of course, the paradigm was not as accurate as the 683 mids...well, i just didn't feel like they were both the speakers i am looking for.

back again...with short list of: PSB T6, NHT. I have also been reading a lot about focals but its a brand i have no clue about...how does the chorus compare to PSB T6. I really like the PSB T6 looks but what's the sound like? bright? laid back?
post #37 of 45 Old 04-16-2013, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I don't actually know how the 683's are but you can weaken and strengthen the bass of a speaker dramatically simply in placement. Although stores have speakers for demo it doesn't mean they have good placement.If you really like the highs and mids the bass is the easiest fix in speaker placement. So don't completely rule out the 683's especially since you like the highs and mids they might be the speaker for you. Perhaps an owner of them can let you know about their experience in placement and bass quantity.

PSB has a somewhat smooth high end but with a snap or a an edge to it not smooth/mellow sounding like British speakers. Some might consider it bright.It can get pretty bright with poor placement. I think it lacks in fullness of the highs and mids being balanced.Or for example the PSB is like a single coil guitar instead of a humbucker.Although it does vocals and classical very well.
post #38 of 45 Old 04-16-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post

I don't actually know how the 683's are but you can weaken and strengthen the bass of a speaker dramatically simply in placement. Although stores have speakers for demo it doesn't mean they have good placement.If you really like the highs and mids the bass is the easiest fix in speaker placement. So don't completely rule out the 683's especially since you like the highs and mids they might be the speaker for you. Perhaps an owner of them can let you know about their experience in placement and bass quantity.

PSB has a somewhat smooth high end but with a snap or a an edge to it not smooth/mellow sounding like British speakers. Some might consider it bright.It can get pretty bright with poor placement. I think it lacks in fullness of the highs and mids being balanced.Or for example the PSB is like a single coil guitar instead of a humbucker.Although it does vocals and classical very well.

thanks for response. exactly what i was looking for. agree with the comment on 683...i don't want to dismiss them yet. good to know that PSB is on the brighter side.. can you think some other speaker that is closer to the BMW sound? i know monitor audio is british, focal/French. i have a pair of small MA satellites that i like (RD90HD) but nothing to wow about them that i want to check out their RX6/8 line
post #39 of 45 Old 04-16-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by harishk25 View Post

So, the 2 things I am looking for in my next speaker:
1) It should be a pleasant speaker. I don't mean muddy...just good clarity with decent bass/treble without making my ears hurt. Something I can listen to for long
2) Looking for a big sound

I listened to the 683, paradigm studio 60, KEF q900. The paradigm studio 60, KEF sound a bit bright. good speakers but i have a feeling they are more like my ML. The 683 had a very different sound. I am not saying it was perfect, but it was good and big so it remains in my list.

Quote:

hey guys...quick update.

so went over to Magnolia this weekend and checked out the 683s and paradigm studio60 again. as sweet as the mids and highs sounded in the 683, it was really lacking in the bass when compared to studio60 and monitor11. but of course, the paradigm was not as accurate as the 683 mids...well, i just didn't feel like they were both the speakers i am looking for.

back again...with short list of: PSB T6, NHT. I have also been reading a lot about focals but its a brand i have no clue about...how does the chorus compare to PSB T6. I really like the PSB T6 looks but what's the sound like? bright? laid back?

You have given contradicting reports on how your comparative speakers sounded. My opinion is just that. An opinion.
683 is bass heavy. It also needs power to sound it's best. I first listened when they came to the market. A Denon receiver with over 100 watts was being used. They became congested sounding quickly on all but acoustic music. Since then I have heard them on newer receivers more capable of handling 4 ohms. Lower power may be ok as long as the amp can hamdle impedence swings.

Paradigm studio - All the newer models sound bright to me.

PSB- I owned T5 and they absolutely were not bright. They did have a British sound. Tight mid bass but not as room filling as other brands.

Focal- I owned the 816 towers. Smooth highs and good mids. Not as much low end as 683.

Never judge a speaker on brand alone. Brands usually do have a similar signature sound, however, each series usually does vary. Many jump to conclusion about Klipsch and yell bright. They apparently have only heard some of the series in the brand.

One major draw back of the 683 is lack of a quality center in the 6xx series.
post #40 of 45 Old 04-16-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

You have given contradicting reports on how your comparative speakers sounded. My opinion is just that. An opinion.
683 is bass heavy. It also needs power to sound it's best. I first listened when they came to the market. A Denon receiver with over 100 watts was being used. They became congested sounding quickly on all but acoustic music. Since then I have heard them on newer receivers more capable of handling 4 ohms. Lower power may be ok as long as the amp can hamdle impedence swings.

Paradigm studio - All the newer models sound bright to me.

PSB- I owned T5 and they absolutely were not bright. They did have a British sound. Tight mid bass but not as room filling as other brands.

Focal- I owned the 816 towers. Smooth highs and good mids. Not as much low end as 683.

Never judge a speaker on brand alone. Brands usually do have a similar signature sound, however, each series usually does vary. Many jump to conclusion about Klipsch and yell bright. They apparently have only heard some of the series in the brand.

One major draw back of the 683 is lack of a quality center in the 6xx series.

thanks for the response and sharing your experience with focal and T5. every speaker has its strength and weaknesses...if you were to pick between 683, psb t5 and the focal 816 again: what would you pick and why
post #41 of 45 Old 04-16-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

thanks for the response and sharing your experience with focal and T5. every speaker has its strength and weaknesses...if you were to pick between 683, psb t5 and the focal 816 again: what would you pick and why

If those were my only choices I would take the PSB. Personally I think there are many brands that beat B&W in their price range. IO to me B&W is over priced. Again, just my opinion.

I have 3 pairs of Klipsch KG series and have less $ in them than any speakers I have owned. They are not pretty, however, I buy speakers for sound.
post #42 of 45 Old 04-16-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

If those were my only choices I would take the PSB. Personally I think there are many brands that beat B&W in their price range. IO to me B&W is over priced. Again, just my opinion.

I have 3 pairs of Klipsch KG series and have less $ in them than any speakers I have owned. They are not pretty, however, I buy speakers for sound.

i have to agree with you on pricing. i think 1100 for a 683 would be nice smile.gif it is 1500. anything you know about the REGA speakers? the sounds seems pretty sweet
post #43 of 45 Old 04-16-2013, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If you really want a deal hideflifestyle.com you can get a pair of Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 for $479 originally $1200. The Aviano series are better speakers than PSB image series.
post #44 of 45 Old 04-25-2013, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

NHT Absolute Towers arrived yesterday. I barely got 3hrs on them and still in the process of breaking-in. Early impressions: Solidly built, heave cabinet. Beautiful and ultra sleek looking which obviously got wife smiling. But we don't buy speakers for all that - lets talk about sound. In my short listening...~ 10 songs, I have to say I am pleased. My room is quite big and the little woofer in speaker was not sufficient. But as soon as I turned on the SUB, the speakers sounded complete. I couldn't point out any one thing that stands out in the sound, it was very balanced I would say. No boomy bass or annoying treble. Details were there. The biggest surprise I would say was the mid-range. For a speaker that size, it had an amazing open mid-range that filled the room. So far, it's been a pleasant introduction. I am yet to push it to higher volumes and put it through paces with favr songs...will update if i have more. I am driving it with Marantz SR8002. I am curious to see what it will sound with my older Rotel upstairs.
post #45 of 45 Old 06-14-2013, 09:18 AM

Liked: 16
I have the NHT Absolute Towers up front, with an NHT SuperCenter, and NHT Super Ones (large bookshelf) as rears in a 5.1, and an SVS 20-39 PCI sub and the sound quality is amazing. The Towers are great both for 5.1 duties and for two-channel/music duties. I'm using a Denon AVR-2313Ci receiver/amp.

I highly recommend the Absolute Towers and think you'll end up loving them too.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page