Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rears? http://www.ebay.com/itm/300887677033 Wanted around 300-400$

Highs? http://www.ebay.com/itm/380608621463 200-300$

Mids? http://www.ebay.com/itm/320509660963 100-175$

Sub: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300875762655 200$

Center channel: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390566418302

also was looking at this as a center channel: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-JBL-Loft-20-Series-Dual-4-Center-Channel-Speaker-Black-/181116862696?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item2a2b6800e8 for my center channel

or this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-SP-C22-Andrew-Jones-Designed-Center-Channel-Speaker-Each-/300881769802?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item460df3754a

Prices just mean about how much I was looking to spend for them for the pair
Okay, before you get into looking at them I'll give you some info haha
I'm looking to buy a home theatre more for music, but some movies more worried about music though
I have 1,100 not including the reciever to spend
I want more bass then anything, but I want to have good highs and mids to get the full effect of music.
What are better for mids; Bookshelf or tower speakers?
I'm not much good for music electronics, but I do computer networking and things with computers, not speakers haha
I also need a 150-300$ reciever but I haven't even looked for those yet lol
Bookshelf vs tower speakers? I'm looking for a medium end system, I just want to get the good bass for rap/alternative music. It'll be for my basement (small room) and for when I move out into an apartment also small! lastly- 7.1 channel system! Thank you so much~ lmbuehrer

This will be used for movies too, but mostly for music! I want a little bit of both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Firstly, on your budget, for your desires, I would rule out tower speakers and put that money into subwoofers. Go with bookshelf speakers for the front stage, even try for a bookshelf center speaker if you can fit it. Let the subwoofers handle the bass, they do a much better job of that than tower speakers. It looks like you are out to rock, so here is a 7.1 system I might suggest, for les than 1100 shipped:
Two BIC America FH-65B bookshelf speakers for the front left/right
BIC America FH6-LCR for the center
Four BIC America DV62si for surround speakers
A Premier Acoustic PA-150 for the subwoofer

That system will get very loud and have much better bass than the system you were thinking about, and it is even $100 under budget delivered. For a receiver, here is a refurbished one that will do just fine with that setup, and also within your budget.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Can you live with 5.1 for now and add another pair of speakers later? You're trying to buy quite a bit with a modest budget... unless you can expand it a bit.

Since you're going to be in a small space, try on this quality starter package with matching monitor speakers all around and an excellent subwoofer for size:

HSU Research Hybrid 1 combo, 5.1: $1,159 + shipping

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid1pkg.html

They can play loud and cleanly for both sources. Good musicality for the price.

Consider the Denon 1913 7.1 receiver. A bit over your budget, but good quality nonetheless. It's not good to skimp to save only a bit of extra scratch. $399.77 at Vann's.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538399930/denon-avr1913

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #4 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Since I don't know much about speakers and surround sound, I'm just a little curious how the first setup you showed me would hit harder than the floor speakers with 15'' subs in them, along with the 12'' 475 watt front powered sub? Yeah denons are nice, I'll consider that refurbished one!

I looked at the bookshelf, I decided the bic americas over the cerwin vegas... those look nice. I also decided the bic america center over the polk audio center channel... Still pretty set on the 4 tower speakers I have though. So I have the bic america all around for bass the 2 rears ( EV-15's) the two mids ( bic america bookshelfs ) the 2 fronts (pioneer sp52) and the bic america sub... I do like the sub you suggested for the $400, which it looks excellent just I kinda want the tower speakers, rather than bookshelf speakers.

Is bic america made for bass? It seems I have all bic americas beside the highs!
post #5 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

You could get those towers, and they will likely have better bass than the bookshelf speakers. The problem is, the way most surround speaker systems are commonly set up, the subwoofer will be taking over the bass range, so whatever bass advantage those towers have would be lost. If you want bass, its better to put more money in the subwoofer than the towers. I guarantee you that PA-150 sub will punch a lot harder than those towers. It'll kill your BIC America sub too with no problem.

Another thing is, you don't want to mix your front stage too much. Make sure the front left, right, and center are all the same series speaker, if not exactly the same speaker. For the surround speakers it won't matter if they match the front stage, but you will want to keep the surrounds like each other as well. Otherwise your sound system will sound pretty weird.
lmbuehrer likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

You could get those towers, and they will likely have better bass than the bookshelf speakers. The problem is, the way most surround speaker systems are commonly set up, the subwoofer will be taking over the bass range, so whatever bass advantage those towers have would be lost. If you want bass, its better to put more money in the subwoofer than the towers. I guarantee you that PA-150 sub will punch a lot harder than those towers. It'll kill your BIC America sub too with no problem.

Another thing is, you don't want to mix your front stage too much. Make sure the front left, right, and center are all the same series speaker, if not exactly the same speaker. For the surround speakers it won't matter if they match the front stage, but you will want to keep the surrounds like each other as well. Otherwise your sound system will sound pretty weird.

So for my front center channel I should consider the pioneer edition ones like my front pioneer sp52 towers? Just the center pioneer channel speaker seems kinda weak compared to the other ones... And the front towers I am looking at are just such high rated speakers for the low price!

As for the rear surround ( the 2 ev-15s ) work with me here since I'm a little new to this, will the 15'' woofer on those towers be pretty much useless? Or will they still hit hard? If I turned off my sub and kept all the settings the same, would I still feel the bass pretty hard with the ev-15's? then once I add the 12'' sub it'll just hit alot harder? That may sound confusing but I'm sort of confused! Haha

But say I do remove my two ev-15 rears, and my 12'' sub. I get the pa 150, should I get 2 tower speakers that are good for mids rather than 4 book shelves? The way my room is setup isn't very ideal for 4 bookshelf speakers. I can't hang them to look nice, they'd have to be placed on something. T

Thanks so much for the help~!
post #7 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Can you live with 5.1 for now and add another pair of speakers later? You're trying to buy quite a bit with a modest budget... unless you can expand it a bit.

Since you're going to be in a small space, try on this quality starter package with matching monitor speakers all around and an excellent subwoofer for size:

HSU Research Hybrid 1 combo, 5.1: $1,159 + shipping

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid1pkg.html

They can play loud and cleanly for both sources. Good musicality for the price.

Consider the Denon 1913 7.1 receiver. A bit over your budget, but good quality nonetheless. It's not good to skimp to save only a bit of extra scratch. $399.77 at Vann's.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538399930/denon-avr1913

Well, I mean I very well could... But I've been looking at this 7.1 surround for quite a time now, I've really wanted this... I'm not too sure if I want that package of the 5.1, but I will definitely consider than receiver!
post #8 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

The Pioneer tower speakers would be good, but, yes, their center looks weak. It could probably sound nice though. If you can somehow accommodate another sp52 tower as a center, that would actually be the ideal.

As for the 15" woofers on the towers, they may not be useless for sheer bass output, but they probably won't sound very good, and they certainly won't dig very deep. I would be scared to get towers with 15" bass drivers for so cheap. The cabinet is going to be hollow, the drivers will be pretty bad, and I don't even want to think about the crossover. CW's are known for being pretty rough speakers, and these are off-brand CW knock-offs! Who knows, they might sound fine, but I wouldn't chance them, not even for surround speakers.

If you need to use towers as the surround speakers, I would just get more of the Pioneer SP52 speakers as you can afford them. Stick with 5.1 for now if you can't afford 7.1, and add two more later when you can. I would try to work the PA-150 sub in there, that sub is a proven performer and a real output monster.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The Pioneer tower speakers would be good, but, yes, their center looks weak. It could probably sound nice though. If you can somehow accommodate another sp52 tower as a center, that would actually be the ideal.

As for the 15" woofers on the towers, they may not be useless for sheer bass output, but they probably won't sound very good, and they certainly won't dig very deep. I would be scared to get towers with 15" bass drivers for so cheap. The cabinet is going to be hollow, the drivers will be pretty bad, and I don't even want to think about the crossover. CW's are known for being pretty rough speakers, and these are off-brand CW knock-offs! Who knows, they might sound fine, but I wouldn't chance them, not even for surround speakers.

If you need to use towers as the surround speakers, I would just get more of the Pioneer SP52 speakers as you can afford them. Stick with 5.1 for now if you can't afford 7.1, and add two more later when you can. I would try to work the PA-150 sub in there, that sub is a proven performer and a real output monster.

Alright, I get what you're saying. Here are pretty much my 2 options-

1. If it would work alright ( I have looked up multiple reviews on the ev-15s I was a little hesatent on them too but they are quite well rated! ) I was thinking about getting the 2 pioneer as fronts, 2 ev-15s as rears/subs as these would act as the lows till I got the pa 150. 2 bic america book shelves, and then save room for the pa150 for a month or two and then purchase that along with it. Then for the center channel I'm not sure what I would do, since some people say for home theaters the center channel really helps with the odd sounds and what not. (this would be the full 7.1)

2. Get the 2 pioneers as fronts, get the 2 bic america book shelves, the pa 150 sub, then the center channel once again... Not sure on. Then later on what should I look for as the other 2 channels on my 7.1?

You are excellent for help! Thanks so much for your input!

as for what you're saying, do you suppose you're thinking of the 3 left front, right front, and front center pioneers, then the 2 rears... so 5 pioneer sp52s? then 2 bic america book shelves, and pa150? (what is the purpose of the book shelves, what will they do compared to towers?)
post #10 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

One thing is, I am not quite sure what you are trying to do. If I were you, I would be going after Dolby's typically recommended sound setup for 7.1 systems:

It sounds like you are going for front 'wides' on your front stage rather than rear surround channels. You should know there is no recording that has any 'wide' or 'height' channel material. But some movies do have recorded sound for two side surrounds and rear surrounds, as per that diagram.

By the way, I don't believe those EV-15s will act as a decent substitute for bass. Contrary to it's specs, I don't think they will have any deep bass whatsoever. Those 15" won't have any kind of real excursion. They might have decent upper bass output but still iffy sound quality. For the same price, I would much rather get the Pioneer speakers or these Infinity Primus p363 speakers, now those really do have passable bass. I think the Infinity and Pioneer speakers will have far more defined and less sloppy bass than the 'RTR' speakers. However, I think you are drawn to the RTR speakers because of their brawny looks, and if so, they may be worth it for you. Regarding speaker designs, I can only tell you from my own limited knowledge that they look like they could have a lot of problems for sound quality.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmbuehrer View Post

(what is the purpose of the book shelves, what will they do compared to towers?)

Bookshelf speakers are a lot like towers except they usually don't have as many bass drivers and won't be tuned as deep and so won't have the deeper bass of tower speakers. If everything else is equal, they should sound the same as tower speakers, minus the bass extension. They exist for people who don't have floor space for tower speakers and want to place them on shelfs or other elevated surfaces.
lmbuehrer likes this.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

One thing is, I am not quite sure what you are trying to do. If I were you, I would be going after Dolby's typically recommended sound setup for 7.1 systems:

It sounds like you are going for front 'wides' on your front stage rather than rear surround channels. You should know there is no recording that has any 'wide' or 'height' channel material. But some movies do have recorded sound for two side surrounds and rear surrounds, as per that diagram.

By the way, I don't believe those EV-15s will act as a decent substitute for bass. Contrary to it's specs, I don't think they will have any deep bass whatsoever. Those 15" won't have any kind of real excursion. They might have decent upper bass output but still iffy sound quality. For the same price, I would much rather get the Pioneer speakers or these Infinity Primus p363 speakers, now those really do have passable bass. I think the Infinity and Pioneer speakers will have far more defined and less sloppy bass than the 'RTR' speakers. However, I think you are drawn to the RTR speakers because of their brawny looks, and if so, they may be worth it for you. Regarding speaker designs, I can only tell you from my own limited knowledge that they look like they could have a lot of problems for sound quality.

Alright so this would be my final setup:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380608621463 x2 - these would be the front left and right fronts / highs

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-P363-Three-way-Floorstanding/dp/B0046A8R3M x2 - these would be my rears/mids

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300881769802 center channel matches fronts.

what would I add for the next 2 channels? infinitiys? : http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-P153-Bookshelf-Satellite/dp/B004649W1Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365738335&sr=1-1&keywords=infinity+primus

or the 140 model?

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1825&sc=28 this would be the sub. lows

Would this http://www.ebay.com/itm/290879305976?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 receiver work? Would the receiver have enough power for that sub?
post #13 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

That setup would be just fine, in my opinion. The receiver will work too. The Infinity towers or bookshelfs will work just fine for surround speakers, you could use either one. I would say start with 5.1 and if you want more, go to 7.1 or further if you want, but you might want to just try 5.1 at first and see how that is.

The receiver doesn't power the sub at all by the way, and most subs have their own amplifiers, so any sub will be just fine on that receiver. Hopefully that receiver comes with a manual, because you will want to read through the setup guide.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page