Anyone familiar with a model of speakers that supports AIRPLAY and also has an OPTICAL INPUT? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Price range $300-$600.

Requirements: AIRPLAY, OPTICAL-IN

Much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Didn't know they existed but this came up.

http://www.jackthreads.com/nocs/headphones--gear/speakers/ns2-air-monitors-active-airplay-speakers/products/124542&gclid=CIGSxJLJw7YCFcp7QgodlWYApw

Maybe this article will help. it features 11 speakers
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406177,00.asp

Afro GT
post #3 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 42
There's portable units that support AirPlay, but none that I'm aware of that also have optical in. I'm assuming that what you are after are some airplay enabled powered speakers that you can connect to your tv via optical? You might want to look into some type of soundbar and use an Apple TV to handle the airplay.
post #4 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

There's portable units that support AirPlay, but none that I'm aware of that also have optical in. I'm assuming that what you are after are some airplay enabled powered speakers that you can connect to your tv via optical? You might want to look into some type of soundbar and use an Apple TV to handle the airplay.

That is precisely what I am looking for. I never thought of using Apple TV to handle airplay. I will look into that.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I believe this is one of the pairs that I ran across, but it doesn't look like they support optical: http://assets.ilounge.com/images/reviews_nocs/ns2/4.jpg

Shame, that was very close to what I had wanted.

I will take a look at that list, thank you.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 03:30 PM

Liked: 12
Umm, aside from AppleTV to support Airplay, the Airport Express does Airplay too, and can do optical out. As far as speakers go, most soundbars have optical input and are active (no need for outboard AVR/amplification). The downside is most soundbars aren't very good audio-quality wise.

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that some of your feature requirements may be based on technology biases of yours (I may have had similar biases at some point). Those biases may be leading you in a direction where the design compromises are worse than other options which could do the job.

Would you be willing to give more detail about what you want the solution to do, such as where you want it to reside, what source you want to use, etc? There may be better options for accomplishing your goals.

post #7 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikarius View Post

Umm, aside from AppleTV to support Airplay, the Airport Express does Airplay too, and can do optical out. As far as speakers go, most soundbars have optical input and are active (no need for outboard AVR/amplification). The downside is most soundbars aren't very good audio-quality wise.

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that some of your feature requirements may be based on technology biases of yours (I may have had similar biases at some point). Those biases may be leading you in a direction where the design compromises are worse than other options which could do the job.

Would you be willing to give more detail about what you want the solution to do, such as where you want it to reside, what source you want to use, etc? There may be better options for accomplishing your goals.

Absolutely. Thank you for offering to hear the full scenario. And also -- yes, all the soundbars I experimented with were quite poor quality. I'm hoping for a 2 speaker set at this point.

I'll start by saying I actually do have quality speakers in place right now, but I'm just sniffing about to see if something just a tad better exists out there.

My full scenario is very overly-complex, so I'll just describe the basics: I currently have a room with Bluetooth speakers that also support Optical-in.
Here they are if you care to know which ones: http://www.kantospeakers.com/collections/yumi/products/yumi-matte-black
They do the job quite well, and are great quality speakers. However if I could change the Bluetooth to airplay, it would be even better. The only input is my TV, which only supports optical-out for audio. I mainly listen to music via bluetooth, or my computer(which is hooked up via HDMI to the TV). I also use the internal apps(Pandora, Netflix, etc..) on the TV itself.

The main reason why I am interested in airplay is the synced volume levels. It is very nice to be able to do EVERYTHING from my iPhone. I do have a remote for my speakers, but an "all-in-one" scenario would really be great.

Not expecting that there are many options for me at all, and I am quite satisfied with how I am now, but again, if I could replace the Bluetooth functionality with Airplay, I would be a happy man.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 42
It looks like your speakers have 2 optical inputs. Get an Apple TV and connect it to the 2nd optical input. Otherwise, get an airplay enabled avr.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

It looks like your speakers have 2 optical inputs. Get an Apple TV and connect it to the 2nd optical input. Otherwise, get an airplay enabled avr.

That's the thing -- I actually do have an airplay enabled AVR, it's just in my other room. This is where the insane complexity comes into play -- the AVR is connected to the TV in the room with the Kanto speakers via HDMI. Then the TV goes to the speakers via Optical. I can't justify another AVR just for these speakers, and I don't think my current AVR can output to these since I already have 7 speakers connected to it in my main room.

I think your recommendation for an Apple TV or Airport Express connected to these speakers would be the best bet. But at that point I couldn't say it would be worth it. Finding some airplay-enabled monitors is probably the best route for me. Unfortunately that route may never end if I am also trying to find optical inputs.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-12-2013, 10:16 AM

I also think your best bet is an appletv or airport express connected to the second optical input. I wasn't able to turn up any speakers with the combination of inputs you're looking for. The nice thing about appletv or airport express is that they have additional features which you may find useful, rather than being locked in to a specific speaker, and they're fairly reasonable price-wise. AppleTV is a full on video device, and the Airport Express has the very useful ability to bridge a wired device onto your wireless network (literally plug a device which only has an ethernet port into the ethernet port of the AE, set up the AE to join your wireless network, and the wired device can now talk to other devices on your network- very cool!)

Good luck!

post #11 of 15 Old 04-12-2013, 02:25 PM

I came across these the other day. You would need the wireless adapter part but otherwise they might be worth a look. They have an in home audition available as well.

http://www.vanatoo.com/products/?slug=index.php&cPath=23_26
post #12 of 15 Old 04-12-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy View Post

I came across these the other day. You would need the wireless adapter part but otherwise they might be worth a look. They have an in home audition available as well.

http://www.vanatoo.com/products/?slug=index.php&cPath=23_26

Wow, thank you sir! This is awesome and just what I was looking for. I was beginning to believe they didn't have any options for me. I will definitely be taking a look into these.

Thanks again!
post #13 of 15 Old 04-13-2013, 08:49 AM

No problem. I'm glad I remembered them! That's what forums are all about.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-14-2013, 10:38 PM

Just a bump here to keep it going...

more speakers are popping up now. I was/have been looking for the same thing for awhile. On the more affordable side, there would be a set of 5.1 from Logitech, the z906 model. Optical in, NO AIRPLAY, so you would need an TV.

Also, "Libratone Live" is a nice looking single speaker, both optical in and airplay, also portable. Nice design, but reviews I read said not the *BEST* quality, though Gizmodo rates it top 4, the worst-of-the-best airplay portable speaker.

Anyone else find anything?

Wish List (though flexible):

-Airplay
-Portable (Li-Ion or similar battery)
-Water resistant
-Simple setup
-"App enhanced" (see iHome's AirPlay Speakers)
-Optical Aux in.
-reasonable small and attractive styling**
-Bluetooth** (Not Essential)

**Pro-tips: Did you know that the "menu extra" on the iOS Remote App (Lower goth corner in "Now Playing" mode) shows a list of Airplay devices to stream to? -Awesome little-known feature brought by a recent SW update. I use it to stream the audio from my TV to noise isolating headphones. Airplay to Mac is also possible through an App called AirFoil - might be even more now. And Airplay from Mac, display mirroring AND extended desktop, are possible with an App called AirParrot. Free Demo - cheap to buy.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-15-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
The forthcoming Klipsch Stadium will have Airplay, Bluetooth Apt-x, and optical input, and a crap load of power. Unfortunately it will be very expensive (well over $1000).
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page