5.0 Speakers for ~$6,000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-11-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright, so I'm about to graduate with bachelor's degree and I'm on the verge of landing a job. As a consequence, I'm going to buy myself a graduation gift.

My current setup is as follows:

2 Polk RTI A5 - mains
2 Polk RTI A3 - surrounds
1 Polk CSI A6 - center

1 Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX - Subwoofer
Onkyo 809 - receiver

So, my budget is around $6,000. I don't want to replace the receiver (has pre-outs) or subwoofer. Furthermore, I would prefer the mains to be floor standing speakers but I'm always open to suggestions. I will use the speakers for about 60% music and 40% movies and games. Assume the room size is "medium."

Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-11-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 519
One thing I would suggest is to add another Outlaw sub, not for the sake of loudness, but for sound quality. For starters, two subs go a long way toward evening out frequency response for a lot more space in the room, so the bass will sound more even anywhere you listen from. Secondly, it means that the subs will not have to play as loud to hit the same volume, and the less the drivers have to move, the less distortion will be produced. As a side benefit, when the drivers and amps don't have to work as hard, it will help them last longer, so it helps reliability too. Third, localization becomes much less of a concern, as the bass from one sub can much more easily draw attention to its location than two subs with spacing between them. Fourth, more output capacity means less compressed peaks, so you will get a more effortless and unhindered presentation. Fifth, the Outlaw EX subs are on a good sale right now, so you can get one for $630 shipped, but that sale lasts only a few more days.

As for speakers, if you don't need a system that can get really loud, I would look at the KEF R series bookshelf speakers. They have a great response out to 60 degrees off axis, this is a very good measurement. You'll want the matching R series center speaker with those as well. For surround speakers, I wouldn't bother with the pricey R series surrounds, I would just go with some Q series bookshelf speakers. Anyway, that system ought to sound very sweet. Next to that, I would look into some Ascend Sierras with the RAAL tweeter upgrade. On the other hand, if this is for a dedicated home theater room, and you want some serious THX level dynamics, I would say look at some other speakers for the front stage, namely Pi Fours with upgraded drivers, or JTR Noesis 228HT, or JBL LSR6332s, or Gedlee Nathans. For surround speakers with such a system, I would be looking for some JBL 8340A surround speakers.
wowyahoo likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-12-2013, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Another vote for the KEF R series. I also would go for the Q100/300s for rears, but that is up to you if you want R series for rear speakers.
wowyahoo likes this.

Marantz SR5007 | KEF R500 | Panasonic P50ST50
post #4 of 10 Old 04-12-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I suggest that you consider the Gallo Acoustics system consisting of a pair of CL-3 speakers, a pair of CL-2 speakers, and a Gallo CL-C center speaker.

The cost is around $3000, and it is a steal at that price (you save at least $1000 because there is no dealer markup).

Ad a NHT B12D subwoofer for $700, or one of the SVS or Rythmic subs for around $1000, and you will have some excellent sound for around $4000.

Compared to what you have now, it will be like ascending to audio heaven.

Home Theater magazine reviewed this system recently and gave it a rave review. You should read the article.

You can order the Gallo speakers factory-direct and they give you a 60-DAY FREE TRIAL. Shipping is paid both ways if you return them, so you can try them in your home and not spend one penny. It's hard to go wrong when you have a home audition for free.

Not too many companies are confident enough to offer that kind of deal. Guess they are pretty sure no one will return them.

Another major sonic improvement would be getting a Cambridge Audio 551R receiver for $1300, and that will fit into your $6000 budget easily. It will drive those speakers very easily and sound better than the Onkyo.
wowyahoo likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I suggest that you consider the Gallo Acoustics system consisting of a pair of CL-3 speaker, a pair of CL-2 speakers, and a Gallo CL-C center speaker.

The cost is around $3000, and it is a steal at that price (you save at least $1000 because there is no dealer markup).

Ad a NHT B12D subwoofer for $700, or one of the SVS or Rythmic subs for around $1000, and you will have some excellent sound.

Compared to what you have now, it will be like ascending to audio heaven.

Home Theater magazine reviewed this system recently and gave it a rave review. You should read the article.

You can order the Gallo speakers factory-direct and they give you a 60-DAY FREE TRIAL. Shipping is paid both ways if you return them, so you can try them in your home and not spend one penny. It's hard to go wrong when you have a home audition for free.

Not too many companies are confident enough to offer that kind of deal. Guess they are pretty sure no one will return them.

This post should be deleted. It exceeds 50 posts by a single person repeatedly suggesting the same brand.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-12-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
With a "medium" sized room and a quality subwoofer, I would consider getting bookshelf mains rather than towers because you can go to a higher end line of speakers and still meet your budget.

In your position I would consider the following:

4 - Monitor Audio - Gold GX 100
1 - Monitor Audio - Gold GX 150C
1 - LFM-1 EX (on sale right now)

That would bring you to a 5.2 system for a total of $6100
wowyahoo likes this.

David
post #7 of 10 Old 04-12-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Depending on what the poster says he wants, I often recommend PSB, Gallo, Wharfedale, Monitor Audio, Dynaudio, KEF and also some other speakers.

I certainly could not recommend the Gallo speakers unless someone has a fairly large budget. I probably recommend Wharfedale and KEF more than the others.

If you think I always recommend only one brand of speakers, you should do a lot more reading and not be so selective.

I will bet you that you can't find 25 posts in the last year where I recommended Gallo speakers, let alone 50, so you are a mile from the truth.

Besides, I suggested that A SINGLE THREAD should not normally exceed 50 posts, which is TOTALLY different than what you are suggesting.

I never suggested that any single posting should be deleted for any reason whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

This post should be deleted. It exceeds 50 posts by a single person repeatedly suggesting the same brand.
wowyahoo likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-13-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm going to do some in-depth research on these speakers. I live primarily in a rural area, so it will be difficult to find a place where I can audition theses speakers.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-13-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 881
I would suggest maybe following this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1446450/ne-spring-speaker-shootout-gtg-date-poll-and-discussion
There are some speakers from GTG that could be good options to look at for you.
wowyahoo likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-13-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 415
I would definitely take a look in the Triad speaker thread... just sayin'. smile.gif They have many different price ranges and they're damn fine USA-made products for movies and music.
wowyahoo likes this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page