Rear ported bookshelf speakers mounted against wall? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm getting a pair of Jamo C601 bookshelf speakers and I wanted to mount them using the brackets that are built into them. The speakers have ports in the rear and I'm wondering if that will be an issue. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2228
There must be no less than the diameter of a port distance between the back of the cab and the wall. Otherwise, no worries.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

There must be no less than the diameter of a port distance between the back of the cab and the wall. Otherwise, no worries.

I guess I'm SOL and will have use stands then. Here's a pic of the back. The speaker basically sits right up against the wall.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Can anyone recommend speaker stands that have a max plate size of 5"x5". These speakers are 5" wide and I do not want the stand plate to be wider than the speaker. All the stands I'm finding have 6"x6" plates.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk3_wagen View Post

I guess I'm SOL and will have use stands then. Here's a pic of the back. The speaker basically sits right up against the wall.

There's something that look like feet sticking out the back that might keep the speaker just far enough from the wall to allow the port to adequately breathe. As a matter of last resort you could read what the owner's manual has to say on the subject. wink.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mk3_wagen:
The back of the speakers have two key-hole slots so the speakers are in some fashion intended to be wall mounted. Bill's advice is clearly the way to go... You might find that the speakers don't sound as good as they might that close to the wall but they will still function that way.
Good luck,
Mike

mnilan
Old 04-12-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 293
The speakers will have variations in bass response at various distances from the wall.

Only by getting them at least 18 inches from the rear wall will this variable be eliminated.

I have had speaker stands made up by taking a sketch to a local metal shop and simply telling them to weld a 3-inch diameter tube to metal top and bottom plates of the desired size.

This is quite inexpensive and works very well. You get the exact height you want that way, also.

Be sure to have them put a hole at least 1 inch in diameter in the top plate so you can fill the vertical column with steel bird shot or sand for mass. Cover the hole with tape after filling.

You can drill small holes in the base plate for attaching floor spikes/cones.

This will give you stands equivalent to the ones some speaker companies sell for $300 or so at a much lower price.