Need some help with PC speaker selection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-12-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The boss and I need speakers for our respective offices. This will be in a medical office so good sound quality is more important than shear volume.

My office is approximately 15x20, linoleum floor. His is approximately 12x15, carpeted. (He was gonna get the big office but would have to give up the window _and_ move his piles of stuff so he said I can have the big office with the new ginormous desk. biggrin.gif)

The PC's are your standard issue, large corporation selected, Dell something or other. Still running XP. No fancy audio cards. So, we are starting behind the curve already.

He stated "the best speaker is a B&O" so..... Take that how you will.

We will primarily be streaming Pandora/Slacker etc, maybe some iPhone/iPod docking.

I do not know what the budget will be but I doubt it will cover the B&O he wants. If it will, I'll get em for him and get myself something else.

I did a search here, and elsewhere, and came across the Audioengine 5, the Airmotiv 4 and 5, plus more mainstream selections as the Harman Soundsticks, Logitech Z623, and others.

Would it be possible to direct connect something like the Audioengine or Airmotiv to the stock mobo audio out?

What does everyone suggest?

TIA,

Robb in Austin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-13-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb in Austin View Post

Would it be possible to direct connect something like the Audioengine or Airmotiv to the stock mobo audio out?
Often you can. The only issue is whether you're getting a clean signal. If not, you may want to use an inexpensive USB DAC.

Clueless people will blather on here about DACs, but unless you're actually paying attention to the music, it's not worth spending more than is necessary to get a clean signal.

Another option if budget becomes an issue:
http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Active-Studio-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B005F3H6Q8/
post #3 of 7 Old 04-13-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
You might also want to make a visit to your local Guitar Center. They often have multiple powered speakers setup for demo. Give them a listen. Buy a couple of different pairs and taking them back and try them in the office. Let your boss choose which one he likes. Best to hear a couple of difference pairs in your office, though, as Guitar Center's setup may not reflect how they will sound in your listening environment.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-13-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 227
^^^^^ I agree

Guitar center wink.gif

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect / Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /
post #5 of 7 Old 04-13-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

Often you can. The only issue is whether you're getting a clean signal. If not, you may want to use an inexpensive USB DAC.

Clueless people will blather on here about DACs, but unless you're actually paying attention to the music, it's not worth spending more than is necessary to get a clean signal.

Can you recommend an inexpensive one?
post #6 of 7 Old 04-13-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Check out the Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC on ebay. Very good inexpensive USB DAC.

post #7 of 7 Old 04-13-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Check out the Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC on ebay. Very good inexpensive USB DAC.

Agree - seems to be a good inexpensive DAC. Got one to replace my Hot Audio DAC Destoyer... not that there was anything wrong with the Hot Audio... and can't say I notice any glaring difference... but saw the good reviews at HeadFi and had to give it a try. Now just need to find someone who wants the Hot Audio DAC...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page