NE Spring Speaker Shootout results thread - April 13, 2013 - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 569 Old 05-24-2013, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petden View Post

I see. So just use the pre-outs on the avr. What controls the volume, the avr or the monitor itself. And since its an analogue signal can i still receive hd audio signals?

The avr does attenuate the volume on pre-outs. And it would also have to do the decode from hdmi for you.....

They setup just like any of the other speakers mentioned in this thread... nothing different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 569 Old 05-24-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Anyone know what model coax is used in the JTR S8 and the Seaton Cats? At one time I know Seaton used a B&C with a titanium diaphragm, just wondering if that is what they still use.

~Brandon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #453 of 569 Old 05-24-2013, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

The single 8's were amazing for their size, truly unreal output and clarity from them. In your case, I don't think there is even a question though. for 2.5x the cost for the s8's I would suggest sticking with the 10-3's. They were an absolutly amazing speaker, capable of well over reference with so little power it is silly. The single8's are no slouch, and will go louder and harder than the Rokit's, but IMO they might lack a little in the finesse that you will get with the Rokit's at normal listening levels. Bottom line here is you will be happy with either one, but all-around, the 10-3's are a little more of a "mains" speaker than the single8 which once again is certainly capable as a main, you will just need a more solid sub system to help it out a tad biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing your impressions beast. What I like most here is that the Rokits are capable of reference+ levels when asked for and also that you think they show a bit more finesse everyday levels. That's pretty compelling.

Good tip on the subs - I think I'll need an upgrade to keep pace with either of these contenders! biggrin.gif
post #454 of 569 Old 05-25-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post

I do not have time to respond properly right now (7 hour road trip in 39 minutes).

I truly meant what I said With the 10-3 being a league above the other rokits. I wouldnt spend money on them......

Understood. Scratch "smaller Rokit 2-ways as surrounds" idea. smile.gif

Quote:
As a word of warning. The 10-3s are very very sensitive to being properly grounded and to having a truly 0 volt ground. I had to buy a power conditioner and wire my recievers grounding post to it to solve the issue.....

Thanks for the heads-up, as I would be running them from unbalanced pre-outs on my AVR. I need to factor some possible frigging around into the decision. This issue probably didn't show up in Electric_Haggis review because he's running them from balanced XLR on his Marantz. By the way Ben, you were half kidding with this comment in the review, weren't you?
Quote:
The anemic amp on the 10" driver will be the limiter factor though, I hit it try to play a 7hz note at +4 dB.
post #455 of 569 Old 05-25-2013, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

RKR 10-3

Max Peak SPL:113 dB --- not 113 dB sensitivity on the RKR 10-3 according to the website.
http://www.krksys.com/krk-studio-monitor-speakers/rokit/rokit-rp10-3.html

Yes, who knows? That spec (or lack of it) is why I'm a bit preoccupied with how loud they really can play.

113dB what? At what distance? Measured in half space, full space? A single speaker or pair (as many studio monitors are rated)? What was the test signal etc? Brick-bats to KRK - these are tools of trade for most buyers! frown.gif [Sorry about the rant, I just hate poorly defined specs.]

Quote:

single 8 - $900
rkr 10-3 - $500

not 2.5x cost either.

Correct for you blokes in the US. The X2.5 cost was my figure. Delivered to my doorstep in Australia the Rokits are A$525 (without haggling for a trio). Based on a shipping estimate from Jeff and adding taxes/duties, I estimate the S8's would be ~A$1300 each delivered.

Quote:

I haven't heard them in the same place at the same time, but I've heard both, and the single eights on multiple occassions. I like them both. The single eight's will go much louder - if that's on the wishlist. The single eights remain one of the loudest speakers I've ever heard when powered by a pro amp at the 2011 huskeromaha meet in Greg's living room. That was just ridiculous. The speakers were capable of inhuman levels of clean playback. The RKR 10-3 get plenty loud too - but about 10dB less at max according to the specs. The RKR are effectively full range for music listening and also very excellent. -- hence my interest when I thought I saw something similar on a good sale.

Thanks Archaea. I can identify with your tastes in speakers, so your impressions are valuable.

Quote:

FWIW - I think the S8 becomes a bit of a tough recommendation for $900 when the 228HT is only $1200. The S8 is good, but the 228HT, IMO, is better.

The compact size of the S8 is a big plus in my current situation. The 228HT's are a bit too large, even though they're the "baby Noesis".
post #456 of 569 Old 05-25-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

I enjoyed reading all the reviews, particularly this one:

Was it the fajita reference? Glad you enjoyed and hope you found it useful.

Yep. I have no idea what a fajita is, but I got the analogy. smile.gif

Seriously, your review was great because you related what seemed to be a pretty concentrated listening session in an organised style. You write well.
post #457 of 569 Old 05-25-2013, 09:24 AM

What I meant by the amp for the woofer is anemic is that it will power limit first out of the three cones. If you want to know how loud they can go go back and look at the spl measuremeants we did with the omnimic. Compare it to the other speakers...... this is how loud I played them at the event. Only on a few of the low notes when I had the reciever at +4 (I ranged from -4 to +4 for most of the playback with them) did they power limit and make the cone pump. This is way past what anyone normally listens at (crazy people excluded).

A note: the omnimic was about 18 feet back from listening position at ear height if you were sitting on a couch.
GIEGAR likes this.
post #458 of 569 Old 05-25-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I glanced through but couldn't find the spl measurements. Post#?
post #459 of 569 Old 05-25-2013, 04:53 PM

I'm looking at the table at the bottom of post 399.
post #460 of 569 Old 05-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Sold the Legacy's. I am going to miss them I'm afraid.

Now can we do this again? I forgot which ones I liked best

Andrew, if you would like to hear the Legacy's before they go I will be getting ready to ship them tom afternoon. I can demo them for you without all the associated noise of a GTG. You will be amazed.

Mike

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #461 of 569 Old 05-25-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

The S8 uses a high power coax while the 228's I believe use something like the BMS 4550 - a one way 1" exit CD. Jonathan - Correct me if I'm misspeaking here. I think the biggest selling point for the S8's is the output potential and sound quality given such a small size. They're great for those with space constraints for sure. I think many would be blown away by a blind demo of the S8's hidden behind an AT screen. biggrin.gif I'm with Jonathan in that I believe the 228's are WELL worth the marginal increase in cost.

With that said, the KRK 10-3's are one of my favorite "best value" choices for a commercial speaker that I've heard so far. Sure, they won't play as loud as the 228's or the S8s, but they will still play reference in most rooms and have great extension, unreal clarity, AND built in tri-amplification. I'm not aware of any close competitors for 500 a pop.

Thanks Gorilla83. That pretty much sums it up for me, especially your note about the KRK's tri-amps. $1500 (you) -> $1600 (me) for the LCR plus amplification is pretty hard to toss when they go "loud enough" and by most reports sound very good. Popalock reckoned they sounded like one of the best full rangers on the day, in some excellent company.
post #462 of 569 Old 05-25-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:

Yep. I have no idea what a fajita is, but I got the analogy. smile.gif

Seriously, your review was great because you related what seemed to be a pretty concentrated listening session in an organised style. You write well.

Thank you sir. I appreciate the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

Andrew, if you would like to hear the Legacy's before they go I will be getting ready to ship them tom afternoon. I can demo them for you without all the associated noise of a GTG. You will be amazed.

Mike

What!!!! Ahhhhh the power of the humble GTG...lol

You seem more like a Cat kinda guy anyway.

smile.gif

Quote:

Thanks Gorilla83. That pretty much sums it up for me, especially your note about the KRK's tri-amps. $1500 (you) -> $1600 (me) for the LCR plus amplification is pretty hard to toss when they go "loud enough" and by most reports sound very good. Popalock reckoned they sounded like one of the best full rangers on the day, in some excellent company.

I'd stick by that. With that said, I'm not sure there is any fully ranger out there that would satisfy my specific tastes... Meaning, I've never experienced a full ranger that can dig as deep as I want it too, so I'd end up crossing to a sub(s) regardless of how capable the speaker may be.

What are your plans for subs G?
GIEGAR likes this.

post #463 of 569 Old 05-25-2013, 05:44 PM

Austin, the double bass feature is for you......
post #464 of 569 Old 05-25-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Quote:

Kinda makes me want to scoop them up just as a conversation piece... "That sound is coming from that little guy?"

tongue.gif

It was almost comical when they unveiled the speakers at the blind GTG at David's. Some of us were laughing in disbelief that speaker D was so small, it just didn't compute with what we just heard and that was WITHOUT a sub. Just that little guy and nothing else - doesn't make sense.

Absolutely! The S8's potential for "WTF?" reactions from mates who think they've got it made with tower speakers from Harvey Norman is strangely compelling! biggrin.gif

Edit: Sorry fellas, I'm still catching up! wink.gif
post #465 of 569 Old 05-25-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:

What I meant by the amp for the woofer is anemic is that it will power limit first out of the three cones. If you want to know how loud they can go go back and look at the spl measuremeants we did with the omnimic. Compare it to the other speakers...... this is how loud I played them at the event. Only on a few of the low notes when I had the reciever at +4 (I ranged from -4 to +4 for most of the playback with them) did they power limit and make the cone pump. This is way past what anyone normally listens at (crazy people excluded).

A note: the omnimic was about 18 feet back from listening position at ear height if you were sitting on a couch.

Thanks for the clarification on the woofer amp and direction to the measurements. The Rokits would certainly play more than loud enough for me if they can peak at 110dB when measured at that distance (maybe 28ft?). My listening position is at 3.7m/12ft.

When the Rokits are crossed to subs, I presume that the woofer amp would no longer be the limiting factor on most program material, and they could be pushed further?
post #466 of 569 Old 05-25-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification on the woofer amp and direction to the measurements. The Rokits would certainly play more than loud enough for me if they can peak at 110dB when measured at that distance (maybe 28ft?). My listening position is at 3.7m/12ft.

When the Rokits are crossed to subs, I presume that the woofer amp would no longer be the limiting factor on most program material, and they could be pushed further?

Yes, I cross them at 50hz but when audyssey is run it sets it at 40 hz......
GIEGAR likes this.
post #467 of 569 Old 05-25-2013, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think I read that the 10-3's do not come with grills. What is the usual DIY solution for grills to satisfy the WAF?
post #468 of 569 Old 05-25-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by easycruise View Post

I think I read that the 10-3's do not come with grills. What is the usual DIY solution for grills to satisfy the WAF?

AT Screen...

biggrin.gif

post #469 of 569 Old 05-25-2013, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Something up at that gtg must have piqued Dave's (reefdvr27) interest because he sold me his monitor audio rx8s from the gtg w/ matching rx center. Don't have a place for the center yet but loving the rx8s. In direct mode (Sony 4400es) they project a deeper and maybe a little wider soundstage than with stereo and room correction. But the room correction takes out the slight boominess associated with the direct. Been listening around 85-90dB and the bass is tight, the mids sound full and accurate and the highs extend nicely, never too bright or harsh. When I cross to my hsu vtf3mk3 at 50hz, the soundstage opens up more and sub balances out well while filling the lowest notes. Great combo, but the rx8s do just fine on their own. Been fun to play around with. Me and my wife both really like the rosenut finish too, these look brand new. I'd been looking at full range speakers like the paradigm studio 100, dynaudio x36, b&w cm9, kef r700, monitor audio rx8, and focal v836. Most of these were almost 3x more $ than the deal I got so how could I resist, especially when it included the center. This thread really help me decide to buy them since I was only able to hear the rx6 but it was missing the better low end of the rx8. Loving these speakers. They're replacing hsu HB-1s which are moving to surround duty. Man I need to get to one of these things. If anyone wants to do a gtg in atlanta I'm in!

If anyone cares about my experiences with the other speakers I auditioned my thread is here.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466750/full-range-towers-wanted
post #470 of 569 Old 05-25-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by easycruise View Post

AT Screen...

biggrin.gif

Or alternately...

The front face plate is removable via 6 screws (to permit rotation of the tweeter/mid module).

Once removed, wrap in your choice of WAF approved speaker fabric, secure at back of face plate*, and re-attach to baffle. Simple! Member Electric_Haggis has done this to his 10-3's: http://www.avsforum.com/products/krk-rokit-powered-10-3-pair-mid-field-3-way-powered-studio-monitors-10-inch/reviews/4054

* I've no idea about the best way to do this bit. DIY gurus would know.
post #471 of 569 Old 05-26-2013, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

Mike

Thanks for the offer Mike. Unfortunately the wife and my parents have me tasked with house/garage fixes and updates all weekend. Hoping for a few spare minutes to get my new diy subs for the living room ready for paint though. biggrin.gif

post #472 of 569 Old 05-26-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'd stick by that. With that said, I'm not sure there is any fully ranger out there that would satisfy my specific tastes... Meaning, I've never experienced a full ranger that can dig as deep as I want it too, so I'd end up crossing to a sub(s) regardless of how capable the speaker may be.

Austin, would 16Hz do the trick? Get a dose of extreme Aussie active full ranger up ya! eek.gifbiggrin.gif

(Hint: the "mid" is 15")

http://www.lenardaudio.com/index.html

(Sorry, just a good excuse to post that pic!)

Quote:

What are your plans for subs G?

Glad you asked. Let me know what you think of this...

1st bit: Current setup is in our living room: 3.6m wide x 4.8m long; large openings on two sides. In concert with an LCR upgrade, the plan is to assemble a Rythmik Audio DS1510 sealed kit (F15HP spec) with CNC cut cabinet of my design. Current small (10" & 8") PSB subs will be trialed corner loaded at right front and near-field ("end table") respectively. The Rythmik will go front left (quarter space).

2nd bit: I'm also in the feasibility phase of a partial build-out of our 2.5 car garage to create Blokesworld. Size of this space is currently subject to negotiation with Mrs G, but is likely to be around 4m x 5m with 9ft ceilings, giving a sealed 55m^3. The sub strategy here is to build a further three identical Rythmiks and bring in the fourth from the living room. LCR's from the living room will be re-tasked as surrounds and the living room will return to more decorous pursuits with the PSB's only.

Good plan? Bad plan? Any suggestions for improvement gratefully accepted! smile.gif
post #473 of 569 Old 05-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Yea sorry for the late invite. Had a lot going on over here in the last month.

post #474 of 569 Old 05-26-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Some photos I forgot to put up

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #475 of 569 Old 05-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Is the center channel really necessary?

post #476 of 569 Old 05-27-2013, 07:47 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:

AT Screen...

biggrin.gif

Boom, done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Thanks for the offer Mike. Unfortunately the wife and my parents have me tasked with house/garage fixes and updates all weekend. Hoping for a few spare minutes to get my new diy subs for the living room ready for paint though. biggrin.gif

Nice dude smile.gif Im up next!!! 4 drivers arrived this weekend...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #477 of 569 Old 05-27-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:

I have not looked, but I can guarantee you a single Rocket can't do 110db from 28 feet. Impossible. That 113db is probably for a pair of them at 1 meter. Now the only real question is where they were measured to get that spec.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #478 of 569 Old 05-27-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I have not looked, but I can guarantee you a single Rocket can't do 110db from 28 feet. Impossible. That 113db is probably for a pair of them at 1 meter. Now the only real question is where they were measured to get that spec.

Measured at 18 ft away at the event a pair hit 110dB. While playing the music content. They could go louder as long as your not playing heavy bass (<40hz) and clipping the woofer amp.

So your probably correct that at 28 ft it probably can't do 113dB. But I am fairly sure it is just 1 at 1 meter that the specs talk about....

post #479 of 569 Old 05-27-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Quote:

...and I don't think I was guaranteeing that it would either; hence "maybe" and question mark. wink.gif

Ben's shown above where I got the 110dBSPL from. Thanks Ben.

My "(maybe 28ft?)" came from my incorrect interpretation of Ben's description in post 458.
Quote:

I conservatively guestimated the distance to the listening position as 10ft and erroneously added the 18ft. Sorry about that. I was certainly not attempting to guild the lily with respect to the Rokit 10-3's performance. You can get a feel for what I think about KRK's spec definition from post 456.
post #480 of 569 Old 05-27-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 677
aren't those SPL figures sort of arbitrary? They don't represent max volumes of the speakers - just max the audition/owner took them to right? I'm quite sure those numbers don't represent what neither the Noesis or single eight were capable of for instance.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

Reply Speakers

Tags
Speakers Subwoofers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page