NE Spring Speaker Shootout results thread - April 13, 2013 - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 570 Old 06-14-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

I could pack you some fried tarantulas, crickets, and some sort of gross looking inch long larvae. I tried the tarantula, was not good (leathery and hairy). Not as good as 5 guys.

I will stick with 5 guys. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 570 Old 07-11-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Does anyone know if the Behringer EP4000 amp runs in 230V? Is there a switch to change from 110/230? I am thinking of using them to power my JTR Noesis.
post #543 of 570 Old 07-11-2013, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Does anyone know if the Behringer EP4000 amp runs in 230V? Is there a switch to change from 110/230? I am thinking of using them to power my JTR Noesis.

Don't believe there is a switch.

See My System Here

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #544 of 570 Old 07-11-2013, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Here are the specs.

http://www.behringer.com/assets/ep2000_p0a38_m_en.pdf

It looks like it will run on 230 V power. It is a German product, so it should, but I can not be certain that there are not two versions and that you don't have to buy the 230 V one.
post #545 of 570 Old 07-12-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

Here are the specs.

http://www.behringer.com/assets/ep2000_p0a38_m_en.pdf

It looks like it will run on 230 V power. It is a German product, so it should, but I can not be certain that there are not two versions and that you don't have to buy the 230 V one.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

Don't believe there is a switch.

Since there are no switches (see above), I am guessing there are 2 models.

The next question then would be, where do I get the 240V version? I am sure Amazon would be selling the 110V version
post #546 of 570 Old 07-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
My guess is that it has a power supply that works with either voltage like most PC power supplies so there may not be a separate product, but of course, I can't be sure.
digitrip likes this.
post #547 of 570 Old 07-20-2013, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Has anyone heard Klipsch RF-83s and can comment on how they compare to the speakers at the shootout, particularly for HT?
post #548 of 570 Old 07-20-2013, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I would assume that they would sound almost identical to the rf 82 except with more low end extension. On a side note the tweeter in the rf 83 is slightly larger which pushes the crossover slightly lower. The slightly larger tweeter may reduce some of the brightness people complain about.
post #549 of 570 Old 07-20-2013, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Would they be comparable to some of the speakers at the shootout? I understand the Cats and the Noesis would be above, but what about the others?
post #550 of 570 Old 08-07-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Another GTG soon?

6F0A9AFB-A0A9-4BC4-A1EC-B6CEECAADB8B-7524-000004D81B32F27D_zps37b521f6.jpg

1FE4B6DA-2481-471D-B4C5-375252C7BA08-7524-000004D8259B531C_zps4402975f.jpg
That's great Drew, you sure do keep busy!! Looks good. We will all be over in September tongue.gif
post #551 of 570 Old 08-08-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Thank you sir. As I already pointed to you, I've done quite a few updates since the GTG. Full list:

L/C/R yorkville front stage (Center is only new speaker here though)
Crown XLS2000 for mains
False wall build
AT screen build
Riser - build, stuff, and carpet
Front wall treatments x 4
New AV cabinet for main room (build and paint)
Rough out drywall and construct auxillary AV cabinet in bathroom - build, frame, trim, paint
Swap clone amp for Peavey 7500s x 2
Swap minidsp 2x4 for 10x10
Add oppo 93
Rearrange subs and rewire (re-run wires) for 4 discrete channels
Add Roku media player
Finish/Paint/Assemble new side surrounds (DIY SEOS)
Build 2nd relay box for 2nd amp
Move rear surrounds back for new seating with new wiring

Add to upstairs setup:
-Swap definitive BP30s for DIY Sentinels
-build 2 X SI 18s
-Swap Yamaha receiver for Onkyo 818
-Rewire entire cabinet with new wall plates and wiring for sub amp in 2nd room
post #552 of 570 Old 08-08-2013, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Wow! You have been busy smile.gif
post #553 of 570 Old 08-08-2013, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

How many beers during that upgrade?

See My System Here

post #554 of 570 Old 08-08-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Any plans for a black ceiling? I don't know how easily those tiles could be painted and if not that would be a big cost obviously.

I'm still not convinced I need it... still I did have seconds thoughts when ordering GIK panels for the ceiling yesterday. I went ahead with white knowing one day I might be kicking my self if I ever want to paint the ceiling black.
post #555 of 570 Old 08-09-2013, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post

Wow! You have been busy smile.gif

You could say that. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

How many beers during that upgrade?

Actually I think only one or two! Too busy for drinking. biggrin.gif Now it's time to relax and enjoy though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Any plans for a black ceiling? I don't know how easily those tiles could be painted and if not that would be a big cost obviously.

I'm still not convinced I need it... still I did have seconds thoughts when ordering GIK panels for the ceiling yesterday. I went ahead with white knowing one day I might be kicking my self if I ever want to paint the ceiling black.

The downside to painting (other than being permanent) is that the panels actually have some decent absorption properties to them and painting them would seal them up quite a bit. I've been thinking about building a panel that would cover that area of the ceiling and wrapping it in triple black velvet. This would give me the option to try it out and remove if I don't like it without a permanent change. Not sure how much of a difference it would make, but I'm sure I will experiment at some point. biggrin.gif

Another option would be to cover a bunch of 2x4 acoustic panels and double wrap them in black speaker cloth. Hmm.
post #556 of 570 Old 08-09-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:

Another option would be to cover a bunch of 2x4 acoustic panels and double wrap them in black speaker cloth. Hmm.

Guess I know what you'll be doing this weekend... biggrin.gif

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #557 of 570 Old 08-09-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Guess I know what you'll be doing this weekend... biggrin.gif

Actually, I have another plan...pics to follow sometime this weekend. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif I've got the theater where I really enjoy it now so for now it's time for another project....

The wife and I had been contemplating for the past year or so in installing some type of shed in the yard for additional storage. Since my DIY interest has grown wild in the last year or so, we figured since we're getting serious about this project why not make it a combination workshop/storage type area. In typical Gorilla fashion, the scope of the project quickly went from reasonable to what some would consider excessive. We placed a deposit for the builder last Saturday. I'm looking at a 5 week or so lead time, but meanwhile here is a sneak peek at the specs for now for those interested - pics to follow in a few weeks.

-Exterior size: 32L x 12W x 10H
-7' side walls with roof pitched to 10' for overhead storage
-Vinyl siding and window trim, matched to the house
-5 x 24" X 32" double pane windows with shutters to match the house
-6'8" steel reinforced and insulated double doors on one end toward the house, single door in middle (matching), both with 9-lite windows
-Skylight/window above the single door
-Gable overhangs
-Dormers
-Ridge vented for insulation / HVAC
-4x4 pressure treated frame, reinforced floors with 10" on center floor joists (built to handle rail cars from trains)
-Built in 12' wide workbench on the far end away from the double doors

Future plans include full insulation, electric, propane heating system, a 'loft' for overhead storage', and a 5x10 CNC table with all the gadgets. I'll be wiring the electric including a 100A subpanel with 3 x 20A 120V lines and 1 X 30A 240 line for the CNC.

Unfortunately funding this project means selling one of the toy cars. In all honesty I don't mind since I'd get far more use of of this.
post #558 of 570 Old 08-09-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:

Future plans include full insulation, electric, propane heating system, a 'loft' for overhead storage', and a 5x10 CNC table with all the gadgets. I'll be wiring the electric including a 100A subpanel with 3 x 20A 120V lines and 1 X 30A 240 line for the CNC.

eek.gif

Well, if I ever try my hand at DIY I know who I'm asking to build the enclosure. tongue.gif

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #559 of 570 Old 08-09-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

eek.gif

Well, if I ever try my hand at DIY I know who I'm asking to build the enclosure. tongue.gif

You mean "when" you finally sack up and do a DIY project, right? biggrin.gif

I've become obsessed with the CNC stuff. Spending a bit of time on CNC zone and talking to various folks. Learning as much as a I can at this point. tongue.gif
post #560 of 570 Old 08-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Actually, I have another plan...pics to follow sometime this weekend. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif I've got the theater where I really enjoy it now so for now it's time for another project....

The wife and I had been contemplating for the past year or so in installing some type of shed in the yard for additional storage. Since my DIY interest has grown wild in the last year or so, we figured since we're getting serious about this project why not make it a combination workshop/storage type area. In typical Gorilla fashion, the scope of the project quickly went from reasonable to what some would consider excessive. We placed a deposit for the builder last Saturday. I'm looking at a 5 week or so lead time, but meanwhile here is a sneak peek at the specs for now for those interested - pics to follow in a few weeks.

-6'8" steel reinforced and insulated double doors on one end toward the house, single door in middle (matching), both with 9-lite windows
-Gable overhangs
-Dormers
-4x4 pressure treated frame, reinforced floors with 10" on center floor joists (built to handle rail cars from trains)

Unfortunately funding this project means selling one of the toy cars. In all honesty I don't mind since I'd get far more use of of this.

How many subs will be in the workshop?
post #561 of 570 Old 08-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 981
Quote:

You could say that. smile.gif
Actually I think only one or two! Too busy for drinking. biggrin.gif Now it's time to relax and enjoy though.
The downside to painting (other than being permanent) is that the panels actually have some decent absorption properties to them and painting them would seal them up quite a bit. I've been thinking about building a panel that would cover that area of the ceiling and wrapping it in triple black velvet. This would give me the option to try it out and remove if I don't like it without a permanent change. Not sure how much of a difference it would make, but I'm sure I will experiment at some point. biggrin.gif

I have an order going into ATS today for about 8-12 2x4 panels that I am going to have them do to my specs. So I can probably comment on all that after I get them in smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

A single port from the main HT room into the shed outa do it biggrin.gif or 8 more subs in the shed with a single port into the HT room? Hmm

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #562 of 570 Old 08-09-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

To be determined. I know I'll be planning a SEOS build of some sort - preferably something full range capable to get me started until subs come into play. tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I have an order going into ATS today for about 8-12 2x4 panels that I am going to have them do to my specs. So I can probably comment on all that after I get them in smile.gif
A single port from the main HT room into the shed outa do it biggrin.gif or 8 more subs in the shed with a single port into the HT room? Hmm

Looking forward to your thoughts B. ATS sells those panels for little profit, almost not even worth building them yourself. smile.gif
post #563 of 570 Old 08-09-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

-Gable overhangs
-Dormers

Just big enough for the horn sub build I predict in you future.cool.giftongue.gif

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #564 of 570 Old 11-22-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Another GTG soon?

Well I was a little late with the invite based on this original post but can't wait for the next event. Reading through the recap of this event this morning got me even more excited for the next. biggrin.gif
post #565 of 570 Old 11-22-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can't believe I missed this!!! Freaking car!

Hope I can come out for the next one!
post #566 of 570 Old 02-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 102
bump, for anybody needing comparisons with SEOS and some commercial products.

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
post #567 of 570 Old 02-04-2014, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

So much for storage Andrew biggrin.gif

See My System Here

post #568 of 570 Old 02-11-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 853
post #569 of 570 Old 05-11-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
As was mentioned briefly above....and I have mentioned...the Single 8's were great but the SEOS builds were .025 percent behind (imo)...and the cost delta is large. Of course everything with all caveats previously mentioned...and I need to hear the again..

Old thread, I know, but I'm curious as to other people's impressions on the JTR S8s versus the SEOS builds... would pretty much everyone agree with being very equal in terms of sound quality and dynamics for smaller HTs?
post #570 of 570 Old 10-20-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
I just gave this thread a quick read and wanted to say thanks for all the excellent posts by all. It was interesting to read.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Speakers

Tags
Speakers Subwoofers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page