Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

I got a few PM's now..and wanted to clarify a few things...

Whenever you get this many people together "group think" starts to happen and is formed in large part by the more dynamic and charismatic people in the group.

A large chunk of these guys are self admitted "sub guys"... Their emphasis was more on HT than Music...yes we only listened to music for our evaluations buts HT application seemed to be where the majority were envisioning the speakers..not for two channel music.

I am generalizing here and putting my own impressions / spin on things...so bear that in mind.

Loud = better ...and if the next county over can hear your play list without distortion than that is a damn good speaker...

None of this is "wrong" thinking...there is no right..

Just when the emphasis on the Cat's and Neosis is given ...it is not that their praise is undeserved....it is that it is slightly over emphasized due to HT and Loud is better way of thinking...

Cat's are one of a small group of powered speakers... Neosis are excellent speakers but there are many that can match or better them... Not very many could match or better them running +25 over reference though... tongue.gif

Please correct my impressions if they didn't seem that way to other attendees but some of the questions I am getting all center around why are the Cat's and Neosis so much better than everything else. I boiled it down to mean that although at normal levels they are very good..there are allot that can compete...at + Reference levels they don't loose anything and probably gain a little in sound stage etc...thats why everyone there is so keen. For many people though playing at plus reference levels is almost never done.

Anyway... I want to stress again this is my take on things...please pipe in if you think these impressions are wrong.

Great post. Let me add some of my thoughts.

This was the first GTG I attended and I'm definitely a novice at this. I learned a lot and it was an eye opening experience.

For me, it became much less about competing speakers (which one was better than the other) and more about identifying a sound signature/impression for each speaker that I could walk away with (and record so I don't forget), as well as, identifying some unique strengths and weaknesses for each speaker we listened to. I also came to full realization that there were outside influences that affected my impressions beside my ears - listening position, background noise, speaker placement, sub use, room acoustics (by the way Andrew has a great room), volume level, amplification requirements, complexity and type of song clips, repetition of song sweeps, pizza and wings, beer, some more beer and on and on.

I also walked away from the GTG a day clearer in my mind as to what my objectives are for both sound and non-sound issues. This always seems to be evolving.

These GTG threads are great to read, especially this one and folks impressions of the speakers are fascinating. A person in process of searching for a speaker can come up with some great speakers to listen to, as well as, gain information about such speakers. However, I would never recommend somebody purchasing a speaker solely based on a GTG thread and/or other peoples reviews, without spending the time to listen as much as possible.

I had a great time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 03:19 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Did you get much of a chance to listen to the Arx A5? (I know you said you were pretty busy and didn't get too much time overall)

I only ask because you did such an indepth review on the A1b/A2c a couple months ago. I was just wondering what, in your opinion, the A5 brought to the table over its bookshelf siblings.

EDIT:

In a general sense. Obviously, not expecting a lengthy review.
post #183 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Jeff told me they were a modified BMS driver.
Just make it 40 total and I can load up my 8. They take up about as much space as the Arrays did biggrin.gif
Most if not all of us got to sit/kneel/stand at or near the sweet spot for several of the speakers, with certain attendees adjusing their position during the listening sessions to make sure they were on axis if they weren't. From my regular seat behind the couch on a barstool I can confidently say I was pretty darn close to on-axis for every pair of speakers we listened to. I certainly don't think any company or product is going to get "beat-down" from any reviews here. I can without a doubt attest to the fact that every single speaker we demoed that day would fit well in just about any audioholic's setup, it was just the small nuances that differentiated one from another and it was an excellent and enlightenting experience for me to really for the first time SEE the different things I liked and didn't like about different speaker designs and concepts. I walked away knowing for a fact that I will more than likely never build a pair of ported mains again. Sealed all the way baby.

woohooo..40 it is!!

I agree 100%. Everything we heard did something well...they all had something to offer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #184 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I can tell you this, I had a really good time and loved talking to everyone and listening to everything. The end was kinda like the grand finale at a fireworks show.
Can't wait for the next one. I would host one but my room isn't really well suited from a shape and reflection point of view. I do have the room and live in the woods. Sound is no issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #185 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
I know I am drawing this out...going through my notes and in the middle of a million things..

Now on to the "with subs" section. And when we say with subs...we mean... With SUBS ... those things were HUGE. I was really hoping to get either Mark or Jeff drunk enough to get some good pictures with Gorilla...and walk away with an new HP or S2..but it didn't work mad.gif

It was sort of funny because when we put out the Arx A5 next to the subs it looked like a desktop speaker... We were joking that you could put hinges on the side of the sub and the speakers would be off the floor and you could just open up the hinge when you wanted something besides bass.

With Subs

Arx A5
SEOS Fusion 8s
JTR Single 8’s
SEOS Tempests
SEOS Sentinels

Arx A5

Really wanted to hear this guy. I was always a bit leary in recommending these speakers because some of the descriptions on the website around these speakers were questionable smelled a little like fish oil to me.

I mean what the heck is this:

3" wideband planar-magnetic tweeter (what is a planar-magnetic tweeter...)
Dedicated 135mm midrange with alloy phase plug and frame plus curvilinear cone and low distortion motor
Triple high-excursion SplitGap 135mm midwoofers with XBL2 technology (wow...triple high-excursion Splitcap with XBL2 technology! Lol..pass the fish oil please...)

Anyway...marketing aside these come highly recommended and are at a great price point so I really wanted to hear them

Over all (keeping in mind price point here) -- B / B+
Highs - B / B+
Mids - C
Lows - Pass on grading since these were supported by a sub)
Sound Stage / Image - B

These really did sound amazingly good...I caveat that with at this price point again. I would have zero problems recommending these especially for a HT system. I really would have liked to hear a full 5.0 system. I liked these allot and at this price point I have not heard of anything not DIY that can compete. I did not hear the Ascend 340 yet...although I do own the 170 SE.

That being said...I was really impressed with these speakers. Snake Oil kidding aside ..they delivered.

SEOS -- Going to Lump them all together because they are all related or sounded related. Want inexpensive very sensitive horn loaded speakers that have excellent and non-harsh highs, decent mids, great sound stage and above average imaging at a fraction of the cost of any speakers in that price range? Is your HT to Music usage 80 / 20 or greater? Then these flat packs should be at least looked at. Especially if you live within 50 miles of other enthusiasts to help you out on your first few builds (cough Gorilla..cough cough.) I am NOT handy but I do plan on trying to make a set of these.

These easily beat out Klipsch which I think is a natural comparison being horn loaded compression... I give these over all a solid B. For pure HT I would kick these up to a B+. You can drive them easy and the larger ones can fill a large park driven on a normal receiver.

Their weak point was the mids and of course bass needed to support them with a sub. Mids just where not there for me...and even the highs when being critical where clear and accurate but missed texture... The sound stage was large but due to the mids not being as detailed as I liked you missed some imaging too... Still great speakers at an outstanding price. I think everyone should at least consider these for surrounds...

More later tongue.gif
post #186 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

I
Really wanted to hear this guy. I was always a bit leary in recommending these speakers because some of the descriptions on the website around these speakers were questionable smelled a little like fish oil to me.

Dedicated 135mm midrange with alloy phase plug and frame plus curvilinear cone and low distortion motor
Triple high-excursion SplitGap 135mm midwoofers with XBL2 technology (wow...triple high-excursion Splitcap with XBL2 technology! Lol..pass the fish oil please...)

Anyway...marketing aside these come highly recommended and are at a great price point so I really wanted to hear them

I hope your joking about the "snakeoil"? Sorry if you are joking in advance.

Heres the tweeter (although Arx uses a modified one) http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=297-412
5.3" (135mm) midrange with cast alloy frame and phase plug, deep curved cone and a huge low distortion motor, (think 6.5"-7" woofer magnet on a 5.3" light weight paper cone driver)
3 5.3" woofers using XBL2 tech (which Creative Sound, Exodus, Adire, HSU (ULS15) and many others use it. Its a license technology and its been around way longer than Arx has. http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2DetailsPaper.pdf
Split gap is just another name for XBL2, just means there is two voice coil gaps and as the woofer excursion increases the BL doesn't decrease like normal woofers. Its backed up with measurements and many many 3rd tests.

I don't see anything that screams snake oil.

But nice review. Definitely a great value and crazy good quality for the price.
post #187 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Arx A5

These really did sound amazingly good...I caveat that with at this price point again. I did not hear the Ascend 340 yet...although I do own the 170 SE.

That being said...I was really impressed with these speakers. Snake Oil kidding aside ..they delivered.

I own the Ascend 340's, purchased only a few months ago. IMO, the Arx's are much better. At least in Andrew's room, that is.
post #188 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:

I know I am drawing this out...going through my notes and in the middle of a million things..

Now on to the "with subs" section. And when we say with subs...we mean... With SUBS ... those things were HUGE. I was really hoping to get either Mark or Jeff drunk enough to get some good pictures with Gorilla...and walk away with an new HP or S2..but it didn't work mad.gif

It was sort of funny because when we put out the Arx A5 next to the subs it looked like a desktop speaker... We were joking that you could put hinges on the side of the sub and the speakers would be off the floor and you could just open up the hinge when you wanted something besides bass.

With Subs

Arx A5
SEOS Fusion 8s
JTR Single 8’s
SEOS Tempests
SEOS Sentinels

Arx A5

These really did sound amazingly good...I caveat that with at this price point again. I would have zero problems recommending these especially for a HT system. I really would have liked to hear a full 5.0 system. I liked these allot and at this price point I have not heard of anything not DIY that can compete. I did not hear the Ascend 340 yet...although I do own the 170 SE.

Grasshopper, you must learn before speak. Your review highly suspect now. smile.gif Altho there is a bit too much marketing speak in there wink.gif

post #189 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 07:02 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 709
yea, the 135mm was not the excursion, it was the cone size....HAHA!!! just messin' here.
Quote:
For me, it became much less about competing speakers (which one was better than the other) and more about identifying a sound signature/impression for each speaker that I could walk away with

This is what I am talking about. Each speaker had its own "sound" and THAT was exactly what I was going for. The benefits of different types of drivers coupled with custom crossovers for each speaker really did make each speaker its own entity. When asked this week by a friend how we really were able to decipher between all the speakers my comment was, "I looked for something significant that each one did different than the other and wrote it down before I forgot." Yes each speaker built on the last and my notes and listening impressions evolved as the g2g went on, but at the same time, I did my best to find what each speaker did best and worst. I don't think in a single day listening session there is really any way around your listening evolving as the meet goes on, so call it what you want...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #190 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

I hope your joking about the "snakeoil"? Sorry if you are joking in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Grasshopper, you must learn before speak. Your review highly suspect now. smile.gif Altho there is a bit too much marketing speak in there wink.gif

Easy fellas, Alan was being facetious. He and I met at the GTG, and he's simply not the type of guy who's going to trash something just for the fun of it. I'm sure he'll chime in shortly, but don't be concerned about his intentions; I don't believe there was any subterfuge.
BufordTJustice likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #191 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

yea, the 135mm was not the excursion, it was the cone size....HAHA!!! just messin' here.
This is what I am talking about. Each speaker had its own "sound" and THAT was exactly what I was going for. The benefits of different types of drivers coupled with custom crossovers for each speaker really did make each speaker its own entity. When asked this week by a friend how we really were able to decipher between all the speakers my comment was, "I looked for something significant that each one did different than the other and wrote it down before I forgot." Yes each speaker built on the last and my notes and listening impressions evolved as the g2g went on, but at the same time, I did my best to find what each speaker did best and worst. I don't think in a single day listening session there is really any way around your listening evolving as the meet goes on, so call it what you want...

How do your SEOS speakers compare to the Sentinel/Tempest? I'm curious, as your build was the inspiration for mine. Any slight differences?
post #192 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Have you heard the ported caps? Jeff told avsforum member toymachyne that if it was max output he wanted in a big room he should stick to a pair of Cap 2400 or a pair of Orbit Shifter over a pair of s2 - from what toymachyne told me. Hopefully Jeff will chime in and clear up the why, what, circumstances of the whole thing.

Jonathan; I believe logicators is referring to lower extension, while you're concern is with regards to output. In that case I think you're both correct; the S2 can go deeper, while the Cap and OS can play louder.

post #193 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goride View Post

Did you get much of a chance to listen to the Arx A5? (I know you said you were pretty busy and didn't get too much time overall)

I only ask because you did such an indepth review on the A1b/A2c a couple months ago. I was just wondering what, in your opinion, the A5 brought to the table over its bookshelf siblings.

EDIT: In a general sense. Obviously, not expecting a lengthy review.

I didn't really get to spend much time listening to the A5 yet. I say "yet" because guess who took them home with him? If you said Jim you'd be right. wink.gif Jon told me to hang on to them for a while, so I may have the opportunity to spend a lot more time with them. Without a matching center it's tough to really do that though, but I know he's working on an new model called the A6. I may end up with a prototype of that, and if so then I'll be able to evaluate the A5/A6 combo a lot better.
gtpsuper24 and BufordTJustice like this.

post #194 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I haven't posted because it's been a bit crazy here in Boston... I had actually considered taking Monday off after the long drive back from PA on Sunday and cheer on some runners but ended up going to work instead. I'm glad I did as I was a good 1.4 miles away from the explosions instead of being right around the finish line... still can't believe someone did that.

Anyways, on a much brighter note, I had an awesome time at the GTG and want to give a shout out to Andrew for being a great host, Jim for co-organizing, and Ben for getting all the music together. Also thanks to plenty who took measurements and pictures... It was nice meeting more new faces from the forum as well as seeing some familiar faces from the sub GTG in October.

I enjoyed a good number of beers and had a blast. To echo a lot of what people have said already, I was very impressed by what the single JTR 8 could do... the Cat 12s run full range was also pretty shocking. I had heard the Noesis 212s back in October and again at this meet... they definitely deserve all the praise they get and then some... Mark and Jeff were again super knowledgable, friendly, and down to earth. I asked plenty of stupid questions and inquired about future product pipleline and both of them obliged and answered my questions kindly.

Unfortunately I missed the Monitor and Ascend towers (which I had really wanted to hear back to back with the Arx's) so I can't comment on those. I heard the Yorkvilles a fair amount on Friday and a bit on Saturday, and although I thought they sounded pretty good and was impressed at how they were consistent at increasingly higher volumes, I thought at times some detail was missing from the music somehow...

I have other thoughts that I may get to later, but wanted to express a few thoughts on the Arx. Although I own the Arx A5s, the particular set at the GTG was sent out by Jon Lane were actually A5c's and had a newer-gen tweeter.. I really wanted them to impress the attendees, and while they did get some positive attention from a few people, I have to say I am a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to have Arx get more exposure and get a few more fans. I was definitely not in a sweet spot by any means, but something just seemed off about the sound. Although I understand room size, shape, etc. impacts the sound significantly, I swear my A5s sound a great deal better in the four different rooms I've had them set up in Boston and even Andrew's upstairs living room.... I have the same receiver as Andrew (Denon 4311ci) and ran through the tracks again the past couple days and found myself wondering where was this magic that I am hearing now, at the GTG?

In all fairness, the A5s were played as the first non-full range set soon after lunch and many thought the volume seemed low even though level matching had been done. The guys allowed me to play a few tracks after the run through at higher volume, but I never felt like I heard the magic I have grown use to... take this with a grain of salt of course as I had had plenty of beers by then. Looking back, I wish I had run a few tracks full-range without the S2s just to get more reaction... I think the amount of bass coming from the relatively small drivers would have really surprised many. The vast majority of attendees unfortunately were much further back behind the bar area talking and didn't get any critical listening of the A5s. I believe the handful of people closer to the main listening area have already made some positive comments in earlier posts in this thread, which is great; I just wish more people had taken a good listen to them.

I forget at which set of speakers (maybe just one or two?) afterwards, but the volume was definitely raised, and I thought that in itself was an unfair disadvantage to the Arx A5s as those were heard at higher volumes for the whole run of the tracks and not just a few tracks. Of course the situation wasn't ideal for many speakers/ listeners so I can't complain too much, I just wish we could have given the A5s a better chance to shine they way they truly do.... I'm sure other owners feel the same about their sets.

Anywhoo, if any of you guys from the GTG are ever in Boston hit me up and I'll be glad to have you over to hear and judge the A5s more critically...

I'm glad a good number of people enjoyed the Guinness Oxtail Beef Stew I made, thanks for trying it even though there were tasty wings and pizza available. I really enjoyed the massive beer selection, thanks for the range & variety that people brought smile.gif Again, it was great meeting everyone!
post #195 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got back from RX-8's house a few hours ago, and what a blast we had...

The Monday following our GTG I flew up to Toronto for work. As it turns out Bill (RX-8) lives not too far from where I'm staying so he invited me and my co-worker, who is another stereo/HT enthusiast, up to his gorgeous house so we could check out his setup. Bill has an all Seaton 7.2 system, which consists of dual F2's, Cat 12's across the front and Cat 8's for the sides and rear. Oh yea, he also has a 100" screen. We were there for about 2.5 hours, most of which was spent watching all manner of blu-ray concerts at serious volume levels (sitting about 12-15 feet away we peaked at 117dB watching an Eagles concert).

Bill and Barbara are extremely gracious and inviting hosts. She even hand made pizza for the three of us! Of course we had a few colds ones, and a bunch of laughs as well. A good time was had by all. If you're ever near Toronto look up Bill and Barbara; they're very accommodating people who love to hang out and have a good time. I really enjoyed myself.

post #196 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

The Monday following our GTG I flew up to Toronto for work. As it turns out Bill (RX-8) lives not too far from where I'm staying so he invited me and my co-worker, who is another stereo/HT enthusiast, up to his gorgeous house so we could check out his setup. Bill has an all Seaton 7.2 system, which consists of dual F2's, Cat 12's across the front and Cat 8's for the sides and rear. Oh yea, he also has a 100" screen. We were there for about 2.5 hours, most of which was spent watching all manner of blu-ray concerts at serious volume levels (sitting about 12-15 feet away we peaked at 117dB watching an Eagles concert).

Bill and Barbara are extremely gracious and inviting hosts. She even hand made pizza for the three of us! Of course we had a few colds ones, and a bunch of laughs as well. A good time was had by all. If you're ever near Toronto look up Bill and Barbara; they're very accommodating people who love to hang out and have a good time. I really enjoyed myself.

Hum...I thought he lived in the 905 corridor or suburbia like many of us...Toronto is due South. One day I would love to hear those Cat12's based on what I've read in this thread....smile.gif

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry
post #197 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

I didn't really get to spend much time listening to the A5 yet. I say "yet" because guess who took them home with him? If you said Jim you'd be right. wink.gif Jon told me to hang on to them for a while, so I may have the opportunity to spend a lot more time with them. Without a matching center it's tough to really do that though, but I know he's working on an new model called the A6. I may end up with a prototype of that, and if so then I'll be able to evaluate the A5/A6 combo a lot better.

Thats great Jon is letting you keep those A5 for awhile, will we see a write up on them later? I can't wait for the A6, I think the A5 midrange in a center channel is gonna be great. I've been bugging Jon on a few occasions on going with a larger tower (A7?) with a MTM top and dual 8"s or triple 6.5"s. Might be a better solution to larger rooms like at the GTG.
post #198 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansboston View Post

I haven't posted because it's been a bit crazy here in Boston... I had actually considered taking Monday off after the long drive back from PA on Sunday and cheer on some runners but ended up going to work instead. I'm glad I did as I was a good 1.4 miles away from the explosions instead of being right around the finish line... still can't believe someone did that.

Yea, there are far too many psychotic people running around. Glad you weren't anywhere near that.

post #199 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Hum...I thought he lived in the 905 corridor or suburbia like many of us...Toronto is due South. One day I would love to hear those Cat12's based on what I've read in this thread....smile.gif

He lives in a town called Woodbridge. Not sure where that is in relation to the 905 corridor - I just used the GPS to find his house.
Billy p likes this.

post #200 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

Thats great Jon is letting you keep those A5 for awhile, will we see a write up on them later? I can't wait for the A6, I think the A5 midrange in a center channel is gonna be great. I've been bugging Jon on a few occasions on going with a larger tower (A7?) with a MTM top and dual 8"s or triple 6.5"s. Might be a better solution to larger rooms like at the GTG.

I don't really have any intention of doing a write-up at this point, but we'll see. This is actually the first set of A5c's there is, so he might end up making some minor changes to the crossover at some point. Seems like I end up with a lot of "this is the only one in existence" products from Jon. Wonder if he's trying to tell me something... tongue.gif

post #201 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

He lives in a town called Woodbridge. Not sure where that is in relation to the 905 corridor - I just used the GPS to find his house.

Sorry Jim...the 905 is the area code for all of us who reside just above Toronto...Woodbridge is just west of me about 20-30 minutes depending on the traffic...so yeah he lives close by.smile.gif

Great GTG btw...cool.gif.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry
post #202 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 08:11 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Quote:

How do your SEOS speakers compare to the Sentinel/Tempest? I'm curious, as your build was the inspiration for mine. Any slight differences?

Haven't had a good chance to take the tracks we used and listen to them in depth in my theater, but that will come in the next few days or so... I will say that all of the SEOS builds top end was similar.. obviously, since they all use the same CD, but once i get that session in here, please believe I will either PM you or post my impressions here. regardless, the seaton C12's use a rendition of the same 12's I am using in mine and the other SEOS offerings all pretty much astounded those that had no idea of the price/performance benefits of the kits Erich is offering so I don't feel like you should have any worries biggrin.gif

On another hand, at least these guys founds a new spot in my house, hooked up, and not "putting baby in the corner" style...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #203 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Oakville is 905 too. smile.gif I just moved away but wish I had known there was a Cats setup nearby.
Billy p likes this.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #204 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Oh..I did the research and figured out what they meant... I was referring to the marketing speak. It was VERY heavy and took me like 30 min to figure out what they were talking about. When someone goes that heavy into marketing speak / hype it throws me... But it could just be the way I took it too.

As for my reviews...they should all be suspect... Just one guy writing down what I heard, at a point in time, with alcohol present...after a long day of listening to 10 plus set of speakers.

Snake oil was used to poke fun at the marketing speak...

It reminded me of the Alexis Sound website some... http://www.alexissound.com/ (Which allot of people poked fun at ...at Dennis Murphy's expense. As Dennis has said..he is not responsible for Alexis marketing hype...) So when I first read the marking speak from Arx it put me off a little.

Natural Sound Crossover

The voicing of every Alexis speaker is a pursuit of perfection. Crossovers, the heart and soul of speakers, go through countless iterations to achieve a natural, transparent and open sound stage with micro-dynamics beautifully rendered. Cabinets have been precisely tuned to generate solid and clean bass without resonances. It will make you forget the system exists. The music will come to life. Listeners will be connected and moved like never before.

Alexis Ribbon 1 Transducer

The Alexis Ribbon 1 Transducer is a specially designed high frequency transducer to naturally re-produce an open, detailed, and transparent sound stage. It uses an ultra-thin ribbon suspended in a powerful magnetic field of high energy Neodymium rare earth magnets. Unlike conventional dome or ring tweeters, every part of the AR1 can be driven directly and simultaneously without energy storage due to the relieve of excess baggage. Having a mass of just 18mg, its diaphragm is able to start and stop in an instant, producing a transient response capable of defining the leading edge and natural harmonic resonance of complex musical sounds.
post #205 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Darn...my dream system... drool...drool...darn darn darn. I want it so bad that my pay checks wince at the thought of me looking at the Seaton website... If I had a magic wand that exact system would be mine... Although I may debate on F2's vs OS biggrin.gif

When my numbers come up for the lottery that is one of the first 10 things I will go buy... Now I just have to buy a lottery ticket...at least I think that increases one's chances. (Although it never helped in the past.)
post #206 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:

Haven't had a good chance to take the tracks we used and listen to them in depth in my theater, but that will come in the next few days or so... I will say that all of the SEOS builds top end was similar.. obviously, since they all use the same CD, but once i get that session in here, please believe I will either PM you or post my impressions here. regardless, the seaton C12's use a rendition of the same 12's I am using in mine and the other SEOS offerings all pretty much astounded those that had no idea of the price/performance benefits of the kits Erich is offering so I don't feel like you should have any worries biggrin.gif

On another hand, at least these guys founds a new spot in my house, hooked up, and not "putting baby in the corner" style...

At least they blend in biggrin.gif
post #207 of 569 Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Ryansboston,

It wasn't the JTR 228ht you heard back in October. That was the 212ht. So you've heard 212ht twice. 228ht were first shipped and demoed in Feb 2013 in kc.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #208 of 569 Old 04-17-2013, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Hey Jim I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Too bad that you couldn't stay a bit longer, we didn't have enough time to demo any movies. It's a great excuse for you to drop by again the next time you are up here. Heck, drop by latter in the week if you have the time.

A few corrections. biggrin.gif
I don't know who Barbara is but Debbie is the one who made us the pizza. As for the screen it's a 120" wide AT Seymour. And size does matter - at least that's what Deb keeps telling me. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif As for the seating we were at 15 feet. Now that's being picky. All joking aside you are always welcome to drop by anytime.

To those that are considering a Seaton speaker purchase. Just send me a PM and I'll be happy to demo my system. I remember how frustrated I was trying to audition these babies prior to purchase.

Cheers!
-- Bill --
post #209 of 569 Old 04-17-2013, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Quote:

Darn...my dream system... drool...drool...darn darn darn. I want it so bad that my pay checks wince at the thought of me looking at the Seaton website... If I had a magic wand that exact system would be mine... Although I may debate on F2's vs OS biggrin.gif

When my numbers come up for the lottery that is one of the first 10 things I will go buy... Now I just have to buy a lottery ticket...at least I think that increases one's chances. (Although it never helped in the past.)

Now those are fight'n words. biggrin.gif
post #210 of 569 Old 04-17-2013, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Thanks for the feedback so far guys! We've got something from about half of the attendeees so far.

We need feedback from everyone present, please! Don't make us call you out. biggrin.gif

Reply Speakers

Tags
Speakers Subwoofers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page