Confused about which speakers to buy. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-15-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
sid369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I started out thinking I will buy the pioneer fs52 and then when I listened to them, they did not sound clear and crisp. So I came to the forum and asked recommendation.

Some suggested, polks, some pioneer and some infinity.

Some said that the pioneers may sound different in your home vs what you heard in the store, same with polks and infinity.

Last night I saw the polk 75t at Newegg for $200 each, but did not buy them because I am still confused, if I should buy these vs the infinity vs the pioneers.

I am coming from HTIB. when I was watching a movie last night, I was thinking this HTIB sounds good, how much better will it get by spending more money.

So, will I be able to hear a clear difference?

and which speakers would be the best bang for the buck. and can I use them later as surround, would that mismatch if the front I get later are different brand?
sid369 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 04-15-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

I started out thinking I will buy the pioneer fs52 and then when I listened to them, they did not sound clear and crisp. So I came to the forum and asked recommendation.

Some suggested, polks, some pioneer and some infinity.

Some said that the pioneers may sound different in your home vs what you heard in the store, same with polks and infinity.

Last night I saw the polk 75t at Newegg for $200 each, but did not buy them because I am still confused, if I should buy these vs the infinity vs the pioneers.

I am coming from HTIB. when I was watching a movie last night, I was thinking this HTIB sounds good, how much better will it get by spending more money.

So, will I be able to hear a clear difference?

and which speakers would be the best bang for the buck. and can I use them later as surround, would that mismatch if the front I get later are different brand?

Stores/ retailers somehow manage to screw up the sound.

Bring your CD and go back to the store. Make sure you listen in Pure Direct or Direct mode to bypass all Room Correction, EQ, DSP modes for the clearest possible sound.

I've heard great things about those Pioneer so I think the store screwed up the setup somehow.

I used to own Infinity P363 and they sounded crystal clear and detailed. From what I've heard, the Pioneer should sound at least as good as the Infinity.

If the store has a 30 day return policy, take those Pioneer home.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
sid369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, wife also liked how the polks sounded and looked, so I guess polk it is.
which center go with the polk 75t?
sid369 is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,758
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

Well, wife also liked how the polks sounded and looked, so I guess polk it is.
which center go with the polk 75t?

Then definitely go with it. And then be sure to commend her on that choice when listening to your new setup. Many guys don't work hard enough at getting their wives into good audio. If you can make them part of the "hobby," helps out next time you want to upgrade smile.gif

Get the Monitor 25C. It has the large drivers to better match the 75T than the smaller center Polk has. Will give you a better front sound stage: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290274

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 04-18-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
sid369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, I saw a few videos on youtube for the KEF Q900 and Q300 and even on you tube they sound amazing.

Now only if these could cost a little less. Would I a regular person coming from a HTIB be able to appreciate these speakers as much a s a hardcore audiophile?

Is the extra money worth it?

The only other concern is, on youtube the videos were all music, but I would be using it 70% for movies, does that matter. Maybe these are good speakers for music and not movies. can someone confirm.
sid369 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 04-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Petden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Anyone can appreciate better sound. You need to determine how much of a difference you can hear. I assume that the KEF's are significantly above your initial budget so before you invest the money you should listen to them. There would be nothing worse then spending all of that money and realizing that it wasnt worth it. What kind of sub are you running as well? Because a good sub makes a big difference in home theatre.

Whichever speakers you choose I want you to compare the sound quality side by side and see what you think tongue.gif
Petden is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 04-18-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,758
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 778
YouTube is not useful for evaluating speakers. Best to make your decision based on other information.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 04-18-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
sid369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

YouTube is not useful for evaluating speakers. Best to make your decision based on other information.

I know they are not, but if there is no way to listen to them, then you will have to make a call based on whatever way you can get to listen to them.

I saw the KEF C7 on accessories4less.com for $450 a pair. close to $400 that I was planning on the polk monitor 75T.

Any suggestions as to which way to go.
sid369 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 04-18-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,758
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 778
YouTube videos do not give you any accurate information about how the speakers will sound. They really are useless. Well, except maybe for this video. It definitely helps you to learn something about these subwoofers:



biggrin.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 04-21-2013, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
sid369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

YouTube videos do not give you any accurate information about how the speakers will sound. They really are useless. Well, except maybe for this video. It definitely helps you to learn something about these subwoofers:



biggrin.gif

Nice video...smile.gif

What do you guys think of the KEF Q300 vs the Polk RTI A7 or A9?
sid369 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off