Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 04-18-2013, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgueho View Post

Well, it's not the same budget for Triad or Episode...

And I have found B&W speakers in my city but for speakers not as good as Deftech, the price is higher :
  • The CCM7.5 is 1000 dollars each..
  • The CCM7.4 is 1500 dollars each.
  • The CCM7.3 is 2000 dollars each.

And there is less depth with Deftech which I prefer for my fake ceiling.

So, all in all, I'd rather go with Deftech...
Hello Fgueho, we now have a French distributor, Conceptas AVM France, who are actually based in Liechtenstein but have a local presence. The web site is www.avm-audio.fr. Their telephone number is +43 699 170 866 36, and you can speak with Werner Madlener. We appreciate the opportunity you have given us. If you need to contact me here, it's jfinn@definitivetech.com. Thanks again - best regards, Joe
Cigarjohn47 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 04-19-2013, 03:05 AM

Liked: 10
Hey Joe while you're on the forum talking about the UIW RSS IIs, I have a question for you. I'm really interested in your UIW RSS IIs for my surrounds. Currently I have a smaller Klipsch in ceiling speaker. Now I'm having a new house with the same problem no back wall. How reliable are these connectors that just pinch into the dry wall of the ceiling especially for how big these speakers look I would think the vibrations would wear through it. I see you have rough ins, but I can't find anything on the installation of them. Can they be put in while installing the speakers, I'm not sure the builder will let me put them in before hand.
Gene
post #33 of 43 Old 04-19-2013, 01:19 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAAIHUE1 View Post

Hey Joe while you're on the forum talking about the UIW RSS IIs, I have a question for you. I'm really interested in your UIW RSS IIs for my surrounds. Currently I have a smaller Klipsch in ceiling speaker. Now I'm having a new house with the same problem no back wall. How reliable are these connectors that just pinch into the dry wall of the ceiling especially for how big these speakers look I would think the vibrations would wear through it. I see you have rough ins, but I can't find anything on the installation of them. Can they be put in while installing the speakers, I'm not sure the builder will let me put them in before hand.
Gene
Hello Gene, no worries about getting there beforehand. If you have 16" on-center studs, you won't need to use the rough-in bracket. That is really a pre-construction bracket. The RSS II will screw directly into the wooden ceiling joists. I am including a link to the manual from our web site here so you can take a look a the installation instructions, which start on page 4. If you should need to go further after you read the manual, just contact our customer service guys, Chet, TJ and Adam. They can be reached at 800-228-7148, or e mail info@definitivetech.com. Good luck and thanks for choosing DT smile.gif
http://www.definitivetech.com/downloads/UIWRSSII_Manual_13009_read.pdf
Cigarjohn47 likes this.
post #34 of 43 Old 04-20-2013, 06:17 PM

Thanks Joe that's exactly what I was looking for!!!
post #35 of 43 Old 06-16-2013, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The thing to remember is that ANY in-wall or in-ceiling speaker does not have an optimally designed enclosure to get the best performance out of the drivers.

They are very much an inferior product, and their performance is strictly 3rd-rate. You don't get much for your money.

No one who expects good-quality sound should even consider them. Conventional speakers on stands will sound much better.

If you have absolutely NO other option, they might be acceptable for use as surround speakers, but not for front or center speakers.

Having the sound coming from the ceiling is intuitively incorrect and unnatural, in any case.

Dipole speakers are very tricky to place, and do not work well in many rooms. It is hard to prevent unwanted reflections in most cases.

Two Polk RTi-A1 speakers with a CSI-A4 center speaker is a front combination that sounds very nice and will cost around $600.

You can't even come close to their sound quality with in-ceiling speakers (unless you get some PSB speakers that cost around $2500).

I would like to comment on this post. Please keep in mind, I'm not trying to make any waves here but unless they are installed and configured right, one can't make an analogy on there performance. In my experience, I have to disagree with you in some instances. I've installed the RCS II's for my front left, right and center speakers and the RSS II's for my side and rear speakers and they have been performing perfectly. They have broken every myth on ceiling speakers out there. Unless you have heard them personally in all surround sound configurations, your comment can't truly justify the sound they produce. From 2.0 - 7.1 the sound is so accurate with lots of details they will blow your mind. They sound as if one has tower speakers in the front of the room. Their not your ordinary ceiling speaker that's out there on the market. Ofcourse, nothing beats a conventional speaker setup, but for a more contemporary, sleek look and limited space, they do a really good job. No speaker or surround sound setup will ever produce the perfect sound, we don't live in a perfect world. But remember, every room is different and will produce a different sound with different products. I use to have a PSB 5.1 system and I'm a risk taker and decided to change my entire room configuration and are very impressed with the RCS II and RSS II.

Peace out!
post #36 of 43 Old 11-05-2013, 10:10 PM

fgueho, did you ever get the def techs? I'd love to know how they sound. Is the sound stage at ear level?

post #37 of 43 Old 11-06-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The thing to remember is that ANY in-wall or in-ceiling speaker does not have an optimally designed enclosure to get the best performance out of the drivers.

They are very much an inferior product, and their performance is strictly 3rd-rate. You don't get much for your money.

No one who expects good-quality sound should even consider them. Conventional speakers on stands will sound much better.

If you have absolutely NO other option, they might be acceptable for use as surround speakers, but not for front or center speakers.

Having the sound coming from the ceiling is intuitively incorrect and unnatural, in any case.

Dipole speakers are very tricky to place, and do not work well in many rooms. It is hard to prevent unwanted reflections in most cases.

Two Polk RTi-A1 speakers with a CSI-A4 center speaker is a front combination that sounds very nice and will cost around $600.

You can't even come close to their sound quality with in-ceiling speakers (unless you get some PSB speakers that cost around $2500).

I have to disagree with some of your information. I have the RCS II's and RSS II's installed in a 7.1 configuration and had Jeff Meyer do a custom calibration of them. They sound incredible. Of course nothing beats standing speakers but not everyone has the proper room configuration to use true standing speakers. For the type of speakers they are, there not bad. And musically, there incredible sounding. Unless you have witnessed them for yourself, you shouldn't judge them. Don't listen to other peoples past reviews, most of them don't know what there talking about.
post #38 of 43 Old 02-19-2014, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Sammck85 : not yet. smile.gif

I will order them in a few months. My new home is still under construction...
Cigarjohn47 likes this.
post #39 of 43 Old 02-19-2014, 02:32 PM

Since my installation and calibration in June of 2013, there still fantastic sounding speakers. Even regular T.V. shows, even though there up in the ceilings, the fronts speakers voices and dialog sound like there right in the middle of the screen. There so realistic sounding. Though they are older speaker technology, they do have the illusion of standing speakers. You will be amazed. Check out this link. It persuaded me to purchase them. I also have the same subwoofer in this article. I'm glad I found this review. It changed my way of listening and there so concealed. Amazing technology.

http://www.avguide.com/review/definitive-technology-uiw-rcs-ii-ceiling-speaker

I would also recommend Triad Speakers too. There also a great options for directional in-ceiling speakers.

I wish you lived near me in Pittsburgh, PA so I could demonstrate them to you. The sound is mind-blowing. The custom room calibration made a difference by Jeff.

I wish you luck in your build. smile.gif

P.S. Please stay in touch with your progress and post your photos of your construction and finished room.
post #40 of 43 Old 05-05-2014, 08:11 PM

To you guys who have the RCS/RSS II, have you ever run it as a 5.0 system? Would anyone be willing to demo that and report back? With my budget, I may have to hold off on a sub for awhile and probably will build an IB. The DefTech system will be for day to day tv watching and the occasional action movie/show like GoT. The specs show a deep low end. Will it be at least decent without a sub for the time being?

Also, does anyone have personal experience with the difference between the RCS/RSS II and the RCS/RSS III? I got a great deal on the RSS IIs for my rears and I'm keeping an eye out for bargains for my fronts. I definitely want an RCS II at least for the center, and preferably for all three, but would there be much drop in quality if I we t with a II for the center and IIIs for the L/R?
post #41 of 43 Old 05-05-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tludlam View Post

To you guys who have the RCS/RSS II, have you ever run it as a 5.0 system? Would anyone be willing to demo that and report back? With my budget, I may have to hold off on a sub for awhile and probably will build an IB. The DefTech system will be for day to day tv watching and the occasional action movie/show like GoT. The specs show a deep low end. Will it be at least decent without a sub for the time being?

Also, does anyone have personal experience with the difference between the RCS/RSS II and the RCS/RSS III? I got a great deal on the RSS IIs for my rears and I'm keeping an eye out for bargains for my fronts. I definitely want an RCS II at least for the center, and preferably for all three, but would there be much drop in quality if I we t with a II for the center and IIIs for the L/R?

Yes, I have the Front and Center RCS II's and the Rears RSS II's. I started with a 7.1 system and now; according to my room size, went to a 5.1 system setup with my custom room calibration by Jeff Meyer. I did try the 5.1 setup as a 5.0 setup as when I installed my speakers; I didn't have the sub yet, (J.L. Audio Fathom F112). And it sounded really good. The system did a good job with the HD channels on my T.V. broadcasting in Dolby Digital. The lows were pretty good. Even playing some DVD's and Blue Rays, the sound was good enough. But if you want that explosive punch that will rip your head off, a subwoofer is a must. The 12" with it's 1500 watts pounds really good in war scenes and car crashes. And remember; no matter your room size, you can never buy too much of a powerful subwoofer. If I had the money, I would have went with a 5,000 watt sub. It's not volume but details and accuracy that makes a world of difference at low volume levels.

But yes, the RCS II's really do a good job in punching out good bass for their small speaker size.
post #42 of 43 Old 05-06-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarjohn47 View Post

Yes, I have the Front and Center RCS II's and the Rears RSS II's. I started with a 7.1 system and now; according to my room size, went to a 5.1 system setup with my custom room calibration by Jeff Meyer. I did try the 5.1 setup as a 5.0 setup as when I installed my speakers; I didn't have the sub yet, (J.L. Audio Fathom F112). And it sounded really good. The system did a good job with the HD channels on my T.V. broadcasting in Dolby Digital. The lows were pretty good. Even playing some DVD's and Blue Rays, the sound was good enough. But if you want that explosive punch that will rip your head off, a subwoofer is a must. The 12" with it's 1500 watts pounds really good in war scenes and car crashes. And remember; no matter your room size, you can never buy too much of a powerful subwoofer. If I had the money, I would have went with a 5,000 watt sub. It's not volume but details and accuracy that makes a world of difference at low volume levels.

But yes, the RCS II's really do a good job in punching out good bass for their small speaker size.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks!
post #43 of 43 Old 06-07-2014, 12:49 PM

Well it's been One year now since I've been using my RCS II's and RSS II's for a 5.1 setup and all is still going good. Last night I watched Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl and at setting the volume level at 70db, the gun and canon battles were fantastic. Surround sound is still top notch for my room acoustics and setup. My JL Phantom 12" Sub did a good job pounding out the explosions with superb accuracy.smile.gif
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page