question about bowers & wilkins M1 speakers.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-16-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. I am looking for 2 B&W M-1 speakers to serve as rear surrounds in my 5.1 system. I will be using B&W VM1's for the front and center channels. I am a cheap ***. I have been scouring ebay looking for a set of these M-1's. My question is, I know that there are 2 versions of M1's....older ones, and the 2012+ ones. I am obsessing over finding a deal on these, but all I can find so far are the older generation speakers. Am I really going to notice a difference in these 2 versions using them as just rear surrounds? Should I just buy some of the older ones, or keep looking for the newer versions? Also, how can I tell the difference visually between the older and newer versions? I am sick of asking ebay sellers, and I don't believe half of them anyway know what they are talking about. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-16-2013, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The differences that I remember were using a nautilus tapered tube to give it more a BW signature sound. The other change was something to do with frequency response of woofer. I feel it made for noticeable changes.

To answer your question, it depends on how much you save as to whether it was worth it.

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
post #3 of 5 Old 05-30-2013, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wait... So how does the lay person tell the difference?

I just ordered some and pick them up on Saturday. I want to make sure I am getting the new versions.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-31-2013, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 45
New version is the M1, looks like a generic satellite speaker. Older version is the LM1, has a round protrusion on top which houses the tweeter.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-31-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctciatti View Post

Hello. I am looking for 2 B&W M-1 speakers to serve as rear surrounds in my 5.1 system. I will be using B&W VM1's for the front and center channels. I am a cheap ***. I have been scouring ebay looking for a set of these M-1's. My question is, I know that there are 2 versions of M1's....older ones, and the 2012+ ones. I am obsessing over finding a deal on these, but all I can find so far are the older generation speakers. Am I really going to notice a difference in these 2 versions using them as just rear surrounds? Should I just buy some of the older ones, or keep looking for the newer versions? Also, how can I tell the difference visually between the older and newer versions? I am sick of asking ebay sellers, and I don't believe half of them anyway know what they are talking about. Thanks guys.

Probably not (on big diff. in sound as surrounds). Older M1s = gloss finishes and come black, white, silver. Newer are matte finish and white, black.

B.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page