Help Needed - New Whole Home Audio - Speaker recommendations for a novice please! - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-16-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I'll start by saying that I am a complete novice when it comes to A/V and have just been reading non-stop for the past two weeks to learn about the million options out there and what they all mean. This forum has been extremely helpful so I thought I would reach out. We are moving into a duplex within a month - we are likely going to be there for 3-4 years so don't want to break the bank installing equipment (speakers) we will ultimately leave with the house but at the same time want to enjoy our time there.

I've reached out to get quotes from several different A/V guys and every single one has given me a different plan with different equipment and wildly different bids. I have read through many many posts on this site and would just like some recommendations on a few questions or if you can point me in the right direction, happy to do more reading as well.

- We have a 5.1 surround in the living room that we'd like to get decent in ceiling speakers for
- Other areas of the house that are wired for speakers - 2 in Family Room, 2 in Master Bed, 1 in Master Bath, and 2 in Office. For these other areas, I'm happy to have slightly less expensive speakers as they will be for more casual listening.

One guy has recommended Polk in Living Room/Proficient in Other areas while the other has recommended Niles Directional in Living Room/Niles CM7BG in other areas.

Any advice/recommendation between the two? Anyone have a strong recommendation for living room in-ceiling speakers in the mid-range and then rest of house in-ceiling slightly below that tier?

Thanks very much in advance for your help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-16-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 290
I would advise you to not use in-wall or in-ceiling speakers where you want good sound quality, because you won't get much for your money.

In my experience, a $200 in-wall (in-ceiling) speaker will give you about the same sound quality as a conventional cabinet speaker that costs $60-80. which is not very good.

In addition to that, if you are going to move in a few years you can take conventional speakers with you, and not waste a LOT of money and time buying and installing speakers that you will not keep. Every cent you spend will be wasted.

The speakers you "leave behind' mounted in the walls may also be regarded as an unwanted eyesore by the next tenant or buyer.

Perhaps you should consider conventional speakers with mounting brackets. That way you can remove them when you move and just patch a couple of screw holes.

NHT has some nice speakers that are made for mounting with brackets, such as the NHT Super-Zero 2.0, which is only $99 each.

There are many others, including the Polk Atrium 4 speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page