Should Monitor Audio RS center really sound like this? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 04-16-2013, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,

I have replaced my Audio Pro Black Vector V1 center with a Monitor Audio RS center (to match the rest of the system). But I imagine that the Audio Pro center sounded more open and clear?

I have taken the front off on the Monitor Audio center to check that all 3 elements plays as thay should. The left and right element seems to be of the same size and type but I can clearly hear that the left has more volume then the right? My first thought is that this is due to that they playes on different range maybe?

When installing a new component in my system I always runs the auto calibration on my Yamaha RX-V1500. The center is set to LRG and the valume to about halth(just as all the other speakers).

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I know nothing of 'Audio Pro Black Vector V1' speakers, but when you change a center channel like that, you should also switch out the left and right speakers to timbre match. You may have great reason for not switching all three, so that is another story to talk about. I wouldn't set the RS center to large, set it to small and then run your calibration program again.
post #3 of 25 Old 04-17-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Did you buy this used?

Both of the woofers should be reproducing the same sounds, so if they sound different something is wrong.
Quote:
The center is set to LRG and the valume to about halth

Ummm....what? I assume you meant to say "the volume is set to about half", but that still doesn't make any sense - "half" of what?? And, as Hamp said, your FL/R and center should be set to "small" with a crossover of 80hz to start out with.
post #4 of 25 Old 04-17-2013, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP568 View Post

I know nothing of 'Audio Pro Black Vector V1' speakers, but when you change a center channel like that, you should also switch out the left and right speakers to timbre match. You may have great reason for not switching all three, so that is another story to talk about. I wouldn't set the RS center to large, set it to small and then run your calibration program again.

What do you mean with switch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Did you buy this used?

Both of the woofers should be reproducing the same sounds, so if they sound different something is wrong.
Ummm....what? I assume you meant to say "the volume is set to about half", but that still doesn't make any sense - "half" of what?? And, as Hamp said, your FL/R and center should be set to "small" with a crossover of 80hz to start out with.

Yes, it is bought used but in really good condition.

We are sure that the right large element do not sound anything like the left large element, its lower and more base. You could as I said almost think that there is a range of 3 where the middle is heighest, left is middle and right is lowest. But you say that so is not the case? Do you have a speaker like this yourself?

What Im saying is that when calibrating the system every speaker will get there own modification of the volume to match the others to the sweet spot. When calibration is finished the center will get a natural lvl(about half). The main valume is something driffrent.

I will try to set all to small then, but are you sure that not even the front L/R should be set to large? Thay can handle a lot of bass?
post #5 of 25 Old 04-18-2013, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Again, I know nothing of your old center, if you could give a link to the old one and to your current left and right speakers.

or can you tell us the spec difference between the your old center and new one, such as ohm and sensitivity.

What I meant by switch is, getting new speakers to match your new center channel, to have the front three timbre match.
post #6 of 25 Old 04-18-2013, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The Silver RS LCR is ported on 1 side if i remember correctly.
post #7 of 25 Old 04-18-2013, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, this is my setup :

Front : Monitor Audio RS8
Rear : Monitor Audio Silver RSFX
Center : Monitor Audio RSLCR
Sub : Velodyne spl-1200r

Reciver : Yamaha rx1500

The question remains, are you sure that the two big elements should sound exactly the same? Is so, then I suspect that I have a faulted center frown.gif
post #8 of 25 Old 04-18-2013, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

I must apologize, I mis-read and that made me misunderstand your question/sitution. I believe I understand now. You had a center channel that was replaced with the proper center channel to match what you have, which is an Monitor Audio RS combo.

You concern is that your center channel left and right woofers do not sound the same.

If they do not sound the same, then there is a problem with that center.

You have the RS center which has two identical 6” bass mid-woofers.

I have the RX center which has two different woofers, one is considered a mid-driver, while the other is a bass driver.
post #9 of 25 Old 04-18-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Those speakers should sound very good; they are excellent speakers. Usually a defective driver will sound "scratchy" because the voice coil is rubbing against the magnet structure.

Either that or it will quit completely. The speaker may have two drivers that are physically the same but crossed over at different frequencies, which is fairly common, but the manufacturer's specs do not show that.

I don't know if you have a defective speaker or not, but if you are expecting high-quality sound from that Yamaha, you may be mistaken there.

The only HT receivers I have heard that have very good sound quality are Cambridge Audio and Harman-Kardon.

All the rest have woefully inadequate power supplies and the sound quality is poor IMO, and Yamaha is one of the worst. They spend lots of money on a long list of "bells and whistles" and skimp on the money for the amplifier and power supply circuits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjim View Post

Sorry, this is my setup :

Front : Monitor Audio RS8
Rear : Monitor Audio Silver RSFX
Center : Monitor Audio RSLCR
Sub : Velodyne spl-1200r

Reciver : Yamaha rx1500

The question remains, are you sure that the two big elements should sound exactly the same? Is so, then I suspect that I have a faulted center frown.gif
post #10 of 25 Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I must apologize, I mis-read and that made me misunderstand your question/sitution. I believe I understand now. You had a center channel that was replaced with the proper center channel to match what you have, which is an Monitor Audio RS combo.

You concern is that your center channel left and right woofers do not sound the same.

If they do not sound the same, then there is a problem with that center.

You have the RS center which has two identical 6” bass mid-woofers.

I have the RX center which has two different woofers, one is considered a mid-driver, while the other is a bass driver.

Yes that's correct, I switched the Audio Pro Black Vector v1 to the Monitor Audio RS Center (matching my system). Do you know for a fact that the two 6" mid-woofers elements should play exact same? Could it not be that they are on different registers even if they are of the same physical model of speaker?
post #11 of 25 Old 04-18-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:

Yes that's correct, I switched the Audio Pro Black Vector v1 to the Monitor Audio RS Center (matching my system). Do you know for a fact that the two 6" mid-woofers elements should play exact same? Could it not be that they are on different registers even if they are of the same physical model of speaker?

Can you confirm the port on 1 side? I don't know the internal design of this center speaker but the first thing you should do is switch the drivers. This will answer your question.
post #12 of 25 Old 04-18-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badouri View Post

Can you confirm the port on 1 side? I don't know the internal design of this center speaker but the first thing you should do is switch the drivers. This will answer your question.

Port? Are we talking about the base port?

If I switch element and its still the same we would probably say that the elements are working as they should. But we would still not know if the speaker is broken, maybe the filter is broken? What I was hoping for is to find another owner of a center like this that can check how it is suppose to be.
post #13 of 25 Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The only HT receivers I have heard that have very good sound quality are Cambridge Audio and Harman-Kardon.

Coming from...
Quote:

Focal is a car speaker company that has very few home audio products, and very limited distribution and support for their home audio products.

I would advise you to stay away from Focal until they start making more of a commitment to home audio products.
post #14 of 25 Old 04-18-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:

Port? Are we talking about the base port?

If I switch element and its still the same we would probably say that the elements are working as they should. But we would still not know if the speaker is broken, maybe the filter is broken? What I was hoping for is to find another owner of a center like this that can check how it is suppose to be.

Port on the back of the center speaker, round hole.
post #15 of 25 Old 04-18-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All the rest have woefully inadequate power supplies and the sound quality is poor IMO, and Yamaha is one of the worst. They spend lots of money on a long list of "bells and whistles" and skimp on the money for the amplifier and power supply circuits.

This is complete and utter BS. rolleyes.gif
post #16 of 25 Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Port on the back of the center speaker, round hole.

Its not ported, it is a sealed box
post #17 of 25 Old 04-18-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Its not ported, it is a sealed box

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/support/past-products/silver-rs/rslcr/#/specification

Cabinet Design: Rear Ported
post #18 of 25 Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/support/past-products/silver-rs/rslcr/#/specification

Cabinet Design: Rear Ported

+1

lol tongue.gif
post #19 of 25 Old 04-18-2013, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Its ported on the left side but that do not say much if you don´t know how it is built.

Is here really no one that have this center anymore?
post #20 of 25 Old 04-18-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Its ported on the left side but that do not say much if you don´t know how it is built.

Is here really no one that have this center anymore?

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/assets/files/manuals/silver-rs.manual.pdf
Quote:
Due to the design of the crossover, if using your RS LCR as a left or right main speaker, we would recommend orientating it so that the port tube is upper most on the crossover panel. This ensures that the lower bass unit handles all of the bass, and the upper bass unit handles the mid-bass.
post #21 of 25 Old 04-18-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Does that mean that they are playing different even when placed horizontal?
post #22 of 25 Old 04-18-2013, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
According to what the manual is saying, yes they would sound different. Im not sure how this would work for a center though.
post #23 of 25 Old 04-18-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Due to the design of the crossover, if using your RS LCR as a left or right main speaker, we would recommend orientating it so that the port tube is upper most on the crossover panel. This ensures that the lower bass unit handles all of the bass, and the upper bass unit handles the mid-bass.
Quote:

Thanks! Does that mean that they are playing different even when placed horizontal?
Yes, that is what that seems to imply although it is not entirely clear from the speaker's specs. They simply call it a 2-way speaker with a 2.9kHz crossover to the tweeter. But that they claim the two midwoofers would operate differently implies a 2.5-way speaker. This can work well for a center channel speaker as only one of the drivers operates through the critical midrange frequencies where midrange lobing/comb filtering normally would occur with a standard 2-way horizontal MTM speaker.

Regarding the new, matched speaker not sounding as good - give it some time. Perhaps it just sounds very different to you, and not what you were used to. Is the new speaker located in exactly the same place that your old speaker was located?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #24 of 25 Old 04-19-2013, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

I got the following answer from Monitor Audio :

You are correct, we arrange the crossover and drivers so that there is a dedicated midrange and a separate mid/ bass unit. This ensures that the vocals are kept clean and clear.

This means that the speaker is suppose to behave like mine do.

Is it true that I should set all my speakers to small in the Yamaha?
post #25 of 25 Old 04-19-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got the following answer from Monitor Audio :

You are correct, we arrange the crossover and drivers so that there is a dedicated midrange and a separate mid/ bass unit. This ensures that the vocals are kept clean and clear.

This means that the speaker is suppose to behave like mine do.

Is it true that I should set all my speakers to small in the Yamaha?

Yes, if you want to be able to use bass management and make use of your subwoofer. This is the recommended setting, with a crossover of 80hz typically.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page