Upgrading my music experience.. Will this be a good setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-18-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I started off using Samsung HTC 550 5.1 surround for Music (10%) and Movies (90%)

Then I bought M-Audio BX8a's for Music (100%)

I've been getting the upgrade itch.. and want to try Floorstanding's in my living room (14x24) and move the BX8a's to my office room (13x8.5)

It'll see 90%+ majority usage in music.. as I'll probably still use the HTC550 for movies.

I'm planning on getting:
2x Boston Acoustics A360
with Denon AVR-1612

And throw in a sub in there down the road.

Is that pretty much all I'll need.. that'll fulfill my desires? for a $400-$600 budget?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-18-2013, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
That is a really big room. How loud do you like to listen to music? Those speakers get really good reviews for the price point but I dont think they have the kind of output you would need to fill that room. Also dont discount bookshelves. As for a sub I would look at something like the Klipsch RW12D which is pretty close to the king of value at $300.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-18-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petden View Post

That is a really big room. How loud do you like to listen to music? Those speakers get really good reviews for the price point but I dont think they have the kind of output you would need to fill that room. Also dont discount bookshelves. As for a sub I would look at something like the Klipsch RW12D which is pretty close to the king of value at $300.

I do like it pretty loud.. pretty much have to.. considering the room size I'm trying to fill lol. So in your opinion.. the A360's won't get loud enough? I don't mind sacrificing some decibels if the sonic quality is good at their price range.

Bookshelves for a big space seems counter-productive though? (although I have no bookshelf experience.. by BX8a's are the closest to a bookshelf.. and they do just alright in the living room)
post #4 of 8 Old 04-18-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
The Boston speakers seem like a good choice to me, given your budget. Very few bookshelf/monitor speakers are going to do the job, and the ones that can are mostly quite expensive.

Since you are talking about only 2 speakers, I would suggest the Harman-Kardon 3490 receiver.

It puts out a lot of power and sounds very good.

And yes, the Klipsch RW-12D sub is hard to beat for under $500.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-18-2013, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
A bookshelf speaker is just usually not capable of reproducing some of the lower frequencies that towers can however they can still sound just as good above that point. I did a search for speakers that can run at reference levels and it seems like Axiom's M22 bookshelves can do it at ~$550/pair
http://www.axiomaudio.com/m22-bookshelf-speakers#

The graph they provide shows their 93db efficiency to be quite accurate and their impedance never drops below 7 ohms however it does seem to be all over the place and rather high at most times. Im not sure how this would work with the AVR, usually we deal with impedance being too low but too high im not entirely sure how it will affect the amp.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-19-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions yo.

I was actually planning on getting a sub later down the road.. but I just pulled the trigger on the Klipsch RW12D since I found a good deal lol..

I guess the speakers/receiver can wait a little while longer so I can do research into a set that will be more suitable for my spacey living room.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-19-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
If you can bump the budget up a little here are a couple other options that would be obvious (and enjoyable) upgrades ...

Arx A5 (750, b-stock for 650)

Swan Diva 4.2 towers (on sale for 650 at the moment - very good deal!)

Ascend CMT-340 (500 a pair b-stock, 640 with the pedestal stands, they look/function as towers)
post #8 of 8 Old 04-19-2013, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

I've been thinking.. maybe I can just get by with the BX8's and RW-12D until my next tax return..

I might just save and use my tax return to jump straight into the Infinity Reference RS1b's or something similar.. instead of blowing $600-$700 right now.

I think it would be a better investment.. instead of buying and upgrading and buying and upgrading every few months. Since a budget of $4,000 - $6000 will get me a little closer to budget audio nirvana and save me money in the long run. smile.gif
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page