Yet another speaker advice thread :) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-18-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,

I'm at the beginning stages of setup my home theater and wanted to check in to see if anyone had advice. My current home theater / family room is a 12'x20' hard wood room. Hard wood floors, hard wood panelling and a wood panel ceiling. My equipment so far consists of a a Sony KDL-55HX850, a Denon AVR 2113ci, and Denon SYS-57HT speakers which came from my previous home theater in a box. I haven't even set everything up yet, but I'm already realizing that my speakers are currently the weak link in the chain. My current thought is that I could use the subwoofer and the speakers from the Denon SYS-57HT for the surround aspects and I should get something else for the front L, R, and center channel. Does anyone have suggestions as to what would work best with my setup? I don't really have a clear budget, but I would like to spend significantly less then the cost of a car.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-18-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoc3 View Post

Hi folks,

I'm at the beginning stages of setup my home theater and wanted to check in to see if anyone had advice. My current home theater / family room is a 12'x20' hard wood room. Hard wood floors, hard wood panelling and a wood panel ceiling. My equipment so far consists of a a Sony KDL-55HX850, a Denon AVR 2113ci, and Denon SYS-57HT speakers which came from my previous home theater in a box. I haven't even set everything up yet, but I'm already realizing that my speakers are currently the weak link in the chain. My current thought is that I could use the subwoofer and the speakers from the Denon SYS-57HT for the surround aspects and I should get something else for the front L, R, and center channel. Does anyone have suggestions as to what would work best with my setup? I don't really have a clear budget, but I would like to spend significantly less then the cost of a car.

Your guidance on price is a little vague. Can you do better?

Your old speakers are electrically compatible with your new AVR. Using mismatched surrounds is not nearly as deadly as using mismatched front and center. Your old subwoofer should be turned into a bad joke by just about any new fronts that you purchase.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-18-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Your old speakers are electrically compatible with your new AVR. Using mismatched surrounds is not nearly as deadly as using mismatched front and center. Your old subwoofer should be turned into a bad joke by just about any new fronts that you purchase.

Thanks arnyk. My understanding is/was that certain receivers are bright and some are warm and it was best to match up receivers with appropriate sounding speakers, and while being electrically compatible it might be best to avoid certain brands with a Denon receiver and some other brands might sound better.

Having said that and having read a little bit I've been leaning towards Energy speakers. However I'm having a hard time differentiating between what is budget and what is overkill.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Thanks arnyk. My understanding is/was that certain receivers are bright and some are warm and it was best to match up receivers with appropriate sounding speakers, and while being electrically compatible it might be best to avoid certain brands with a Denon receiver and some other brands might sound better.

Most modern AVRs including your new AVR have automated system tuning facilities (MCACC, YPAO, or Audyssey) and/or fairly powerful equalizers built in. So, they can be bright or bassy or whatever your speakers need them to be. Audyssey is alleged by many to be the pick of the litter, but there are various levels of Audyssey and it can cost almost up to a $grand to have an AVR that has it.

If you don't know what to spend, don't spend a lot and figure out what you need from what you have without a lot of money being on the line.

There are some pretty good speakers that are pretty cheap such as the Infinity Primus dual 6 1/2 woofer 3-way floor standers at < $200 each. Upgrade your mini sub to a 12" Polk PSW 505 for another $200 and see where your ears take you from there...
post #5 of 5 Old 04-18-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
The old speakers are kind of out of place compared to the rest of your nice equipment; weak link is kind of an understatement...lol.

I would suggest a pair of PSB Image T6 speakers, a PSB Image C4 center speaker, and a pair of image B4 rear speakers.

That should run you about $2000 total, and give you a VERY nice- sounding system that will be well matched to your receiver.

To get much beyond that in sound quality you would be looking at $4000-6000 for speakers and $2000 for a Cambridge Audio 651R receiver.

For a very good subwoofer at a nice price, the Klipsch RW-12D is usually under $400.

You may find that the T6 speakers have all the bass you want, however. I would get them and listen some before getting a subwoofer.

Quote:

Hi folks,

Thanks in advance!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page