Need Speaker Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-18-2013, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We are closing in the deck to make it a sunroom. It will have black out shades for better TV viewing when that is a priority, a stone fireplace dead center, and a flat screen (model TBD) mounted above the mantle of the fireplace. Here are the issues:

L & R speakers: For speakers, given that all of the space at a more appropriate height will be covered with windows, I will be stuck with in walls as L & R speakers and they will be about 8 to 9 feet above the ground. I am considering Speakercraft or Proficient in walls so I can aim the sound down toward the couch. I can't afford Triad and am concerned that a speaker that isn't capable of being aimed downward will create a poor soundstage during movies from so high.

Center speaker -- I can't use an in wall to match the L&R speakers because there will be a 7 foot wide stone fireplace, floor to ceiling. Also, if I get the wall mount I'm considering that allows you to pull the TV out and down for better viewing angles when the fireplace is off, the center speaker will need to mount to the TV so it will move when the TV moves. However, if I don't get that mount, I will just have to sit the speaker on the mantle, and this is the more likely approach. Either way, the speaker will need to be short -- wide is OK, but I want the TV as low to the mantle as possible so moving it up an extra 8 inches to stay above a big center channel is not going to work. The center channel also needs to have a sound that nicely blends with the in walls that will be the L&R speakers.

Rear -- In walls mouted on the back walls, also 8 to 9 feet high, so again think I'll be looking at aimable brands like Speakercraft and Proficient.

Other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-19-2013, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Blue,

What is your budget? Triad may not be out of reach.

Also, what is the room size HWD
post #3 of 5 Old 04-19-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I have no idea what your actual budget is, but PSB has speakers that are very good and may meet your needs.

Check out their website.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-19-2013, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The room is 16 wide by 20 long, with the TV on the far side of the longer distance.

The budget is to be negotiated. I can move a sub out there that I already own, so maybe I can get "her" to agree to $1000 for all five speakers: L & R (in walls), C (small profile, not in wall), and two surrounds (in walls). Anything over a grand is going to require me to overcome significant resistance. Business is good right now, so if I wait six to nine months for when the collections catch up with the accounts receivable, I can probably double the budget. Thus, depending on the responses regarding what I can do with my currrent budget versus a better one later, I may just have the builder run the wires and drywall them in, and I'll pull them out later when I can afford something better.

By the way, thanks for your help.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-20-2013, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I think NHT would be a great option. They have nice speaker packages. Great value for the money.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page