Advice on New 5.1 Speakers Under $2000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-18-2013, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
hornfan785's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just moved into my first house and am looking to upgrade my audio. Currently I just have a Sony HT-CT150 Soundbar/Sub, which was fine for my single bedroom apartment, but I need something better now. I did just buy a Denon AVR-1913 receiver, so I already have that figured out.

My living room is approx. 17' x 13'. I've included a couple of pictures to give you a better idea of the space. Ignore the taller table and black chair in the corner by the couch, those are there just temporarily. A recliner will eventually be put there.

I was considering just getting the Energy Take Classic 5.1 set, but I've read that those might be too small for the space I have. The price tag is definitely appealing, but I think I'll end up wanting something more. So, after saving a bit of money, what would y'all suggest I look at? I don't really have a preference when it comes to bookshelf or floor speakers. I was leaning towards bookshelf and placing them on my TV stand at first, but I think a pair of floor speakers could work.

Thanks for your help.





hornfan785 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 04-18-2013, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,510
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 491
For the front stage left, right, and center speakers, I would be looking at speakers from Ascend Acoustics, HTD Level Threes, Arx, and Hsu. Don't spend as much on surround speakers, something like these Yamahas or these Infinity speakers would be great for surround speakers. For subs, I would be looking at Rythmik, Hsu, and Power Sound Audio. I would reserve $800 to $1k for the sub alone, or maybe get two $600 subs. You could piece together a great $2k system from those brands.
hornfan785 likes this.
shadyJ is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 04-19-2013, 01:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Petden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Ascend 340 for the front 3 and 200's for the rear 2. This is $1158 shipped then you could look at the PSA XS15 which is $750 shipped. This is $2156 including taxes. That would be a killer sound system and that sub would easily fill that room with the fronts being very good for music too. The other option is piecing your system together. Purchase a few speakers now and the rest later. It comes down to how much you are willing to spend as well as how much time you are willing to wait before completing the system.
hornfan785 likes this.
Petden is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 04-19-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,254
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
IMO the Take Classic speakers are too small for a broom closet...lol.

I would suggest that you get four of the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers, the matching 10CC center speaker, and a good subwoofer.

The 5 Wharfedale speakers will run about $900, and they are VERY good speakers.

The Klipsch RW-12D is a good subwoofer that I have seen for as low as $320, and that is a very nice price for that one.

If that stretches your budget, just buy two of the 10.1 speakers at first and the center speaker, and then add the rest later as you have the money.

A suggestion for some great speaker stands:

Get 6 8x8x8-inch concrete blocks and stack 3 on each side. Cover them with black pillowcases or drape them with any available piece of cloth to cover them.

They are massive and make acoustically perfect stands, and there are 100 ways to dress them up cosmetically.
hornfan785 likes this.
commsysman is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 04-19-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 235
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 04-19-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
hornfan785's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I really appreciate it. I'll have to take a look at these links tonight or over the weekend.
hornfan785 is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 04-19-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sdg4vfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 1,322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petden View Post

Ascend 340 for the front 3 and 200's for the rear 2. This is $1158 shipped then you could look at the PSA XS15 which is $750 shipped. This is $2156 including taxes...

+1 on both those systems. Also, the Ascend 200's would make excellent surrounds for the KEF's also. The Ascend 200's might be particularly good surrounds for your space because your seating is up against the back wall - they are sealed speakers and can be mounted directly on a wall.

Re a lower priced sub option ... The Klipsch RW12D is considered by most in the forums as the go-to budget HT sub (300). But, both the subs listed above are a step up and worth the extra dollars ; )
hornfan785 likes this.
sdg4vfx is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 04-19-2013, 09:06 AM
Senior Member
 
darkpoet25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
As far as a sub there is also the new SVS PB-1000 at $499, as well as the SB-1000 for the same price.
hornfan785 likes this.

Cliff
darkpoet25 is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
hornfan785's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One other question I have is subwoofer placement. If you look at the pictures, you can see that there's space behind the tv. I was wondering if it 'd be ok to put the sub back there on the floor, or will the somewhat enclosed area make the bass too muddy?
hornfan785 is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 04-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Senior Member
 
darkpoet25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornfan785 View Post

One other question I have is subwoofer placement. If you look at the pictures, you can see that there's space behind the tv. I was wondering if it 'd be ok to put the sub back there on the floor, or will the somewhat enclosed area make the bass too muddy?

I don't know about muddy, but with the tv stand in front of the sub, it would most likely affect the bass frequencies. With the tv stand in front of the sub and being in tight quarters like that will cause a lot of sound reflection. Given the layout you may want to try and place the sub on the left side of the stand near the wall socket, or in the back corner under the table you have near the, what I can only guess is the kitchen window.

Cliff
darkpoet25 is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 04-19-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Man, those nooks where people put TV's are brutal... Couple things. Some of these speakers being mentioned are not small. I would be concerned with placing them on the current current TV stand for a couple of reasons. One, you will have a very narrow sound-field having all three on that stand right under the TV (you would want to spread them out more and toe the L+R speakers in. Second, they might be too tall and block your TV unless you can raise it.

Otherwise you are looking at bookshelf speakers on stands that might intrude slightly into that walkway to the right of the TV if you are facing it. Same with floorstanding speakers. You are kinda limited here in terms of placement. To the left of the TV you look okay. Do people use that hallway much to the right of the TV? What about kids or pets? Any concerns with speakers on stands that people may trip over if it intrudes into that hallway just a little? I am thinking floorstanding might be best (something slim and front ported and sealed). You will most likely need to raise your TV to place the center channel under it. Or buy a mount to put the center channel above.
ack_bk is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 04-19-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Also, where are you going to place your side surrounds? On stands?
ack_bk is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 04-19-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
hornfan785's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Man, those nooks where people put TV's are brutal... Couple things. Some of these speakers being mentioned are not small. I would be concerned with placing them on the current current TV stand for a couple of reasons. One, you will have a very narrow sound-field having all three on that stand right under the TV (you would want to spread them out more and toe the L+R speakers in. Second, they might be too tall and block your TV unless you can raise it.

Otherwise you are looking at bookshelf speakers on stands that might intrude slightly into that walkway to the right of the TV if you are facing it. Same with floorstanding speakers. You are kinda limited here in terms of placement. To the left of the TV you look okay. Do people use that hallway much to the right of the TV? What about kids or pets? Any concerns with speakers on stands that people may trip over if it intrudes into that hallway just a little? I am thinking floorstanding might be best (something slim and front ported and sealed). You will most likely need to raise your TV to place the center channel under it. Or buy a mount to put the center channel above.

I was thinking about raising the TV as well. Placing the center channel above the TV is definitely an option to consider though. I was thinking about mounting some shelves up there anyways. The narrow sound field problem is why I started considering floorstanding speakers. The hallway to the right leads to the garage, so it is used pretty frequently, but no kids. I think I'll end up having to either get floorstanding, or put the front R+L on stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Also, where are you going to place your side surrounds? On stands?

Yes, I think so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet25 View Post

I don't know about muddy, but with the tv stand in front of the sub, it would most likely affect the bass frequencies. With the tv stand in front of the sub and being in tight quarters like that will cause a lot of sound reflection. Given the layout you may want to try and place the sub on the left side of the stand near the wall socket, or in the back corner under the table you have near the, what I can only guess is the kitchen window.

Yeah, I think you're right. I could place the sub to the left of where the Front L speaker will go, next to the outlet.

Definitely some things to think about and plan out. Thanks.
hornfan785 is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 04-19-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornfan785 View Post

One other question I have is subwoofer placement. If you look at the pictures, you can see that there's space behind the tv. I was wondering if it 'd be ok to put the sub back there on the floor, or will the somewhat enclosed area make the bass too muddy?

I have four Velodyne SC600 IF/IC subs behind my 73" Mitsubishi TV. They sound okay. biggrin.gif

AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 04-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
csgamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Man that nook and lack of space to spread out is rough. I'm no fan of phantom center but I don't know if you would gain much by having one with that lack of space. I would get bookshelf for sure and thin ones like 2 x ascend 340se with no center. Or maybe 5 x ascend 170se's. At least you would have identical speakers all around which is ideal if you can manage it.
csgamer is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 04-19-2013, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
hornfan785's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hadn't even considered that, csgamer. A phantom center might be the way to go, at least at first to see if I really need a center or not.
hornfan785 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off