Considering replacing Ascend Sierra LCR with JTR Single 8s - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am thinking about doing this for no real reason other than boredom. I've had the Sierras for nearly 4 years and while there is nothing wrong with them, I'm starting to want something new.

As an apartment dweller I try to cap my listening levels at "slightly unreasonable", and I am wondering if there are benefits to using higher efficiency speakers at non-reference volumes.

JTR is at the top of my list because they are SO HOT right now, but this would apply to any similarly sized high efficiency speaker.

For me, I see the pros being:
Placement flexibility due to front port
Potentially much better sound
Would likely be reused as surrounds in a future theater
Can simplify my system by getting rid of separate stereo amp for LR and relying solely on receiver
Use less electricity -> save the earth -> you're welcome

Cons:
$$$$
Would probably have to get a cheap sub to fill out 40-100hz
Probably wouldn't use them to full potential
Ugly as sin
A little larger

I am probably 80/20 movies/music, but I'm not sure I'm a belieber in the distinction people seem to make between "good for music" and "good for movies" speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
I've been having a round of JTR lust after reading the NE gtg thread. However, I was thinking the Noesis 228s, altho the single 8s got some great comments, and the 228s aren't a lot more $...sort of...okay, they're a fair bit larger, too.

You don't use a sub with the Sierras?

post #3 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

I have a HSU VTF2-MK3 in storage that I used before I moved to NYC. I don't really have the room or volume knob self control to have it here.

The small spaces I now live in are not too much trouble for the Sierras to fill with OK bass. Nothing like the HSU of course.

If I got a small sub to use with the JTRs, I would most likely try to match the bass output of the Sierras, and not really try to do much more.

The pre-sale price of the 228s was very tempting, but the pictures I've seen of their size are ridiculous, especially since speakers usually look even bigger in person.
post #4 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I have to tell ya, the single 8's are little monsters. You can drive them to much more than "slightly unreasonable" in an apartment environment with a good avr. I actually loved how they sounded and moderate volumes as well. Very well balanced IMO. If I did not want to do DIY, and wanted to spend under $1k each, they would win for me. I would also agree with hd, the Noesis 228 with grills and stands could be sweet. Not sure what your taste is, but I preferred the single 8 (with sub of course) to the sierra tower at the GTG.
post #5 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 414
[quote name="pj325is" url="/t/1469009/considering-replacing-ascend-sierra-lcr-with-jtr-single-8s#post_23222916", but the pictures I've seen of their size are ridiculous, especially since speakers usually look even bigger in person.[/quote]

It's all relative of course, but to me they look very compact!! smile.gif

post #6 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
It seems like one of the big benefits of the JTR's is the ability to play loud and clean. In your apartment do you think you can do that? In addition, the JTR single 8's will definitely need a sub. They are rated at 80hz whereas the Sierra bookshelves are 44hz.

Not trying to talk you out of it, if I were selecting between these two speakers I would go JTR, but since you already own the Sierra's in a restricted apartment with no subwoofer useage......

I say wait until you move...
post #7 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

I have to tell ya, the single 8's are little monsters. You can drive them to much more than "slightly unreasonable" in an apartment environment with a good avr. I actually loved how they sounded and moderate volumes as well. Very well balanced IMO. If I did not want to do DIY, and wanted to spend under $1k each, they would win for me. I would also agree with hd, the Noesis 228 with grills and stands could be sweet. Not sure what your taste is, but I preferred the single 8 (with sub of course) to the sierra tower at the GTG.

Since they didn't use a sub with the Sierra Tower, wonder how they fared against each other without sub or did the Single 8 always have the benefit of a sub?

post #8 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj325is View Post

I have a HSU VTF2-MK3 in storage that I used before I moved to NYC. I don't really have the room or volume knob self control to have it here.

The small spaces I now live in are not too much trouble for the Sierras to fill with OK bass. Nothing like the HSU of course.

If I got a small sub to use with the JTRs, I would most likely try to match the bass output of the Sierras, and not really try to do much more.

The pre-sale price of the 228s was very tempting, but the pictures I've seen of their size are ridiculous, especially since speakers usually look even bigger in person.

If you don't trust yourself with a sub.....you sure you can control the volume knob for the 8's? smile.gif

post #9 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Lol...someone wants to upgrade for the sake of upgrading. Always a bad idea for those of us that are cheap bastards.

JTR 8's and Sierra are very different animals...very different. Make sure you audition the 8's before you buy. It would be hard to see someone, at least for music, loving the 8's and the Sierra both.

Anyway... my .02 minus .05 for taxes.
post #10 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

If you don't trust yourself with a sub.....you sure you can control the volume knob for the 8's? smile.gif

I figure it's less of a problem since those frequencies dont travel through walls and floors as easily. I've played my sub-less Sierras quite loud without any complaints from neighbors.

I received a few wall knocks when I had my HSU in previous apartments.

"very different" is appealing to me. I would expect them to have more "edge" than the SIerras, for lack of a better term. The only way I could see myself being disappointed is if there's little difference because that would mean I'd just dropped 2700 bucks + the cost of a small sub for nothing.
post #11 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

It seems like one of the big benefits of the JTR's is the ability to play loud and clean. In your apartment do you think you can do that? In addition, the JTR single 8's will definitely need a sub. They are rated at 80hz whereas the Sierra bookshelves are 44hz.

Not trying to talk you out of it, if I were selecting between these two speakers I would go JTR, but since you already own the Sierra's in a restricted apartment with no subwoofer useage......

I say wait until you move...

While the Sierra's are rated at 44hz I highly doubt they would sound good playing that low. Heck the 212HT's are rated a 55hz aren't they.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #12 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

[quote name="pj325is" url="/t/1469009/considering-replacing-ascend-sierra-lcr-with-jtr-single-8s#post_23222916", but the pictures I've seen of their size are ridiculous, especially since speakers usually look even bigger in person.

It's all relative of course, but to me they look very compact!! smile.gif

[/quote]

Now you're just showing off Carp! tongue.gif

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Well since aesthetics play a big role...I'd pass on the JTRs their looks just don't do it for me...the CATS on the other hand really got my attention......cool.gif But right now I'm not in the market for new speakers...maybe one day...biggrin.gif

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers,STC(RAAL) & 200 SE in espresso54" of Panny BlissAnthem MRX 300,Sony BDP-S380, Technics CD player & Apple TV....

{ PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry}
post #14 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since they didn't use a sub with the Sierra Tower, wonder how they fared against each other without sub or did the Single 8 always have the benefit of a sub?

They were running with subs always. The Sierra's can be rated as low as they want, but I personally wouldn't buy them expecting a great full range experience. Of course, others will like them just fine that way, as they are nice speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

While the Sierra's are rated at 44hz I highly doubt they would sound good playing that low. Heck the 212HT's are rated a 55hz aren't they.

Agreed. I don't think the Sierra's really killed it in full range, but the single8 with sub kicked arse.
post #15 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 03:26 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Well since aesthetics play a big role...I'd pass on the JTRs their looks just don't do it for me...the CATS on the other hand really got my attention......cool.gif But right now I'm not in the market for new speakers...maybe one day...biggrin.gif

The CATs sounded better than they looked.
post #16 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I figure it's less of a problem since those frequencies dont travel through walls and floors as easily. I've played my sub-less Sierras quite loud without any complaints from neighbors.

"very different" is appealing to me. I would expect them to have more "edge" than the SIerras, for lack of a better term. The only way I could see myself being disappointed is if there's little difference because that would mean I'd just dropped 2700 bucks + the cost of a small sub for nothing.

Since you already have a good sub in storage, just use that and turn the gain down to your liking. You don't have to shake the walls.
post #17 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I love my Sierras, but I have a fairly large room and would like....well, more! Fortunately I can run 3 subs to help for now as my wallet keeps turning me down on new speakers and bigger subs....

post #18 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 03:43 PM

Liked: 19
As a New Yorker and fellow Sierra 1 owner I feel your pain!
I realize you are 80/20 movies and music
But maybe upgrading to the Nrt tweet can offer enough of a change to satisfy the yearning.
As an added bonus the act of doing the upgrade yourself can be an extra kick in the pants :-)

post #19 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Since you already have a good sub in storage, just use that and turn the gain down to your liking. You don't have to shake the walls.

I don't follow..

But seriously, the main issue with my big sub is that it's so huge. I am moving into a 2br next month that is maybe 750sq ft total. I would sell it and buy a smaller sub, most likely. The HSU and the fancy glass top I had made for it are just collecting dust and losing value now.
post #20 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkzy56 View Post

As a New Yorker and fellow Sierra 1 owner I feel your pain!
I realize you are 80/20 movies and music
But maybe upgrading to the Nrt tweet can offer enough of a change to satisfy the yearning.
As an added bonus the act of doing the upgrade yourself can be an extra kick in the pants :-)

Haha, way ahead of you! I Nrt'd my Sierras in 2010 when that upgrade first came out. That held me for a while, but I'm starting to get the shakes again.

Dave has been teasing a new Sierra upgrade for like a year now, but I suspect it may end up being another good but relatively minor upgrade.
post #21 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob from NJ View Post

The CATs sounded better than they looked.

Hi Robert...that's what I'm afraid of...lol. One of the guys at the GTG lives about 20mins from me(owns the CAT12 & 8s) and I wouldn't want to risk an audition at this time because I'm very content with the Sierras...smile.gif

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers,STC(RAAL) & 200 SE in espresso54" of Panny BlissAnthem MRX 300,Sony BDP-S380, Technics CD player & Apple TV....

{ PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry}
post #22 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 04:01 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Hi Robert...that's what I'm afraid of...lol. One of the guys at the GTG lives about 20mins from me(owns the CAT12 & 8s) and I wouldn't want to risk an audition at this time because I'm very content with the Sierras...smile.gif

Just sent you a PM with the same topic. LOL.
Billy p likes this.
post #23 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know how you feel, I have to admit I'm nervous to hear the Cat 12's next weekend.
Billy p likes this.
post #24 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

[/quote]

Now you're just showing off Carp! tongue.gif[/quote]

Haha, yeah sorry couldn't help it. smile.gif
post #25 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I know how you feel, I have to admit I'm nervous to hear the Cat 12's next weekend.

Be afraid..........be very afraid

And bring $10k with you biggrin.gif
Billy p likes this.
post #26 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Chop!!!! eek.gif Come on now man.... you told me everything would be ok!! biggrin.gifwink.gifsmile.gif

Seriously, I can't wait for this GTG.
post #27 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 11:46 PM

Liked: 21
Why don't you add in a good sub? if your mostly movies I think that should clearly be your next buy. I think the Sierra-2s are a few months away, June I think? add a sub and upgrade to Sierra-2s should be a solid upgrade.
post #28 of 34 Old 04-20-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't follow..

But seriously, the main issue with my big sub is that it's so huge. I am moving into a 2br next month that is maybe 750sq ft total. I would sell it and buy a smaller sub, most likely. The HSU and the fancy glass top I had made for it are just collecting dust and losing value now.

If the sub is too big, that makes sense, but as to the other part there is a gain knob on the subwoofer. You can turn it up or down to control LFE.

Sounds like you would do well with something sealed and compact. SVS, PSA, Rythmik, and Hsu all have some nice sealed subs that are fairly compact.
post #29 of 34 Old 04-20-2013, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

The Single 8's were run with a pair of subs actually; S2's. The Sierra's were run full range at the owners request.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #30 of 34 Old 04-20-2013, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

Would that be Bill in Woodbridge by chance? If so, I was just over their a few days ago and that is quite a system he has. I'm sure he would be more then happy to demo it for you.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page