Cambridge S30's slightly underpowered... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-19-2013, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just got off the phone with a really helpful guy from Crutchfeild. Basically I have the Cambridge S30's set up with a Onkyo TX-8050 and I feel it's a solid and economical setup. However Onkyo puts out about 80 watts of power while S30's are set up for 100. So a 20w differential.

The guy said this would still sound good and being underpowered by 20 watts wouldn't be detrimental at all.

I have the speakers and receiver at my house right now, I'm starting to wonder though do you all think it might be worth it to get a receiver that puts out 100w of power to match S30's? Or leave it at 80? I could still send back the receiver as I just got it in...Would that extra 20 make a big difference? Or help it run safer? Or is it not a night and day issue really.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-19-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hold on...I am reading the manual and it says at first:

"Rated Output Power:

80 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8 loads, 2 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 KHz with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.08%."

Then below it says again,

"Rated Output Power:

"100 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 6 loads, 2 channels driven at 1kHz with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 01%."

Wait so this receiver -can- put out 100 watts per channel?
post #3 of 7 Old 04-19-2013, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I think your missing a critical part of those stats. There is a symbol beside the numbers, that looks like the omega symbol. Its known as ohms. When the ohms go down from, say 8 to 6, the power output of an amp usually goes up because there is less resistance on the amp.

To answer your question the amp is capable of putting out 100 watts of power if the speakers are 6 ohms (impedance).

Also power is a logarithmic scale, which means that with each watt of power you add the benefit decreases by a certain amount. For example the S30's are 90db sensitivity. This is usually measured at 1 watt of power. If you give the speakers 10 watts of power if will add 10 db of volume, making the volume 100 db, if you give the speakers 100 watts of power it will only a total of 20 db of volume which means that it will produce 110 db's. To add another 10 db you would need to increase the wattage to 1000.

See how it takes so much more power to get the same db increase with each step?
post #4 of 7 Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

wow that's amazing. I need to reflect on that for a second...
post #5 of 7 Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Then also consider the impedance rating of a speaker is only a nominal figure, it actually ranges all over the place; the S30 specs say 4-8 ohm but their max power spec isn't very helpful in that it says max 100w but doesn't say continuous or peak or at what impedance (assume 8ohm) altho it's probably continuous (sometimes called program). I have the S30s and power them with a 200w/ch amp (at 8 ohm, it's more powerful at 4ohm). Sometimes an amp rated lower than the speakers can still be driven at distorted levels above the rated power and damage speakers. It's not as simple as the fun people in marketing would like you to think to make their jobs simpler....

ps Look for the amplifier FAQ on this site...

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #6 of 7 Old 06-26-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
No issue with your setup. Save your $ and get a sub.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-27-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
+1
Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Speakers S30 N , Cambridge Audio Bookshelf Speakers S30

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page