New house... Need new home theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-19-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I've been reading here a while and decided to ask for some opinions on my set up.

A quick background on me and my current setup.
I've always enjoyed home theater systems and quality speakers and components. I have kept it pretty basic until now.
My current ht is a 50" sony lcd. an old Sony (15ish yr old) 5.1 receiver with 10yr old infinity rs4 towers. I added a 5.1 infinity satellite speaker/sub kit to round it out.

My living room has always been smallish. 12x12

The new house living space is about 18x24 with 13ish high vaulted ceilings. The viewing distance will be about 12 ft.

30%tv 40%movies 20%gaming 10%music(for now)
I will be getting the panasonic 55"vt60.
I have a denon 4311ci on the way to run 7.1 and another zone(outside). Maybe bipiamping at first til I get everything.
I decided to try KEF q series for the LCR
I already got a Q600c for the center

I need help deciding on the subwoofer and surround speakers. My wife wants me to do in wall speakers. The rear of the room is odd, the 2 walls the rears will be on are angles. They are not symmetrical angles either. I'll try to get some pics up. I might be able to convince her bookshelfs are necessary but it will be difficult.
I was going to budget $500 for sub. I know it's a big room so I could go to $750 or so. Will that get me enough sub?

Also, help deciding between the q700 and q900 would be great. Trying to stick to a $500/speaker budget. Is it worth going with the q900 or should I get the 700s and spend more on the sub.
Some inexpensive blu ray player options are welcome too.

Thanks in advance. I know that was a long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 626
I recommend upping your budget for the sub. Not many great $500 subs out there, but a few around $750. Check out the Hsu VTF3 mk4 and Power Sound Audio Xs15, or possibly the XV15 if you can. As for surround speakers, it sounds like in-walls wouldn't work too well from your description. Try to go with bookshelf speakers if you can. Get these Videosecu side-clamping mounts and mount the speakers up high for better wife approval factor, and angle the speakers down toward the listening position. If the surround speakers are going to be far from you, go for something efficient and able to project the sound easily, check out these Klipsch RB-61 or these Hsu HB-1 if you want something a bit more tame. If you are going to be seated somewhat close to the surround speakers, you might as well get some KEF Q100 bookshelf speakers. You could get away with spending less without much of an audible consequence though, so you could also go for these Infinity Primus p153 speakers as well, and save a little money.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

I can just use the infinity sub I have for now while I save some extra money for the new sub. I don't think I'll be able to go past $1k though. preferably it would be $1k including shipping.

The hsu sub looks nice and its on sale right now.

If I were to extend the budget to $1k would you still recommend the same 2 brands? Just a better model?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

At $1k, I would go with the same brands. I would be looking at the Hsu VTF15h, possibly the PSA XS30 if you can make that stretch in your budget. You can get a discount on the Hsu by purchasing their speakers with the sub, so you might look at them for the surround speakers as well. Look in their package deals.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

I think I've decided on the hsu vtf15h. I like the idea of the package deal too. That sub fit my budget and should be large enough for my room... At least until I get another one.

If I can get away with using bookshelfs on the walls, the smaller the depth the better. The hsu hb1 isn't too bad. Are there thinner speakers in that price range that sound good with the KEF?

Would it be a bad idea to use in wall speakers on the sides then bookshelves in the rear? Also is it bad I the side speakers are a little in front of the listening position?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Thinner speakers usually mean less cabinet volume, which usually means less bass extension and less dynamic range. The Hsu's substitute height for depth, which is why they can get away with being as thin as they are- most bookshelf speakers with 6.5" woofers have more depth. There are "on wall speaker" which are meant to be mounted flat against the wall, these NHT on-walls for instance. They will probably sound fine, but they will need a lot more energy to get as loud as the Hsu speakers. However, if the listening position isn't too far from them, they ought to work fine. In-wall speakers can work too, and you can use them on the sides with some distance in front of the listening position as well. KEF and Hsu both have some in-walls that don't look too bad.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvwpwr View Post

I think I've decided on the hsu vtf15h. I like the idea of the package deal too. That sub fit my budget and should be large enough for my room... At least until I get another one.

If I can get away with using bookshelfs on the walls, the smaller the depth the better. The hsu hb1 isn't too bad. Are there thinner speakers in that price range that sound good with the KEF?

Would it be a bad idea to use in wall speakers on the sides then bookshelves in the rear? Also is it bad I the side speakers are a little in front of the listening position?

I'm kind of surprised at some of the previous replies you received in regards to surround speakers that are totally sonically different from the front L/C/R array you have chosen (the Kef Q's).

Absolutely stick with surround speakers from the same model line. You want timbre matching even here for precise sound panning and multi-channel music reproduction. Since the Q series only has an on-wall dipole (which will probably not work well with the newer, more advanced object surround formats on the horizon due to dipolar arrays being too diffuse)... I would look at getting pivoting, side-clamping (don't have to drill into the speaker) wall mounting brackets and use Q100 or Q300 bookshelves for the surrounds (decent bass frequency specs. too). That would be fine because the Q series, even their bookshelves, has front firing bass reflex ports.

Something like this (Pinpoint AM-40b... or the similar and cheaper VideoSecu version):

Optimally, you want your side surrounds to be 90 degrees to your listening position (one pair per row, if you have or will have tiered seating at some point in the future) or just slightly behind the listener's ears... not in front or you'll screw up the directional panning cues to your ear/brain. You'll think sounds emanating from the side walls are in front of you, which defeats the purpose.

In the back, you would want to place them at about 150 degrees.

It gets a little more complex than that when aiming monopole speakers as surrounds, but that's for another discussion.

The HSU VTF-15h is great for the money. Also check out the 15" high powered, ported models from Rythmik (with the 600 watt amps included).

You could check out the Panasonic 230 Blu-ray player.

Another suggestion as an upgrade... I would strongly consider adding power amplifiers to drive your Kef's at some point. You, again, have a fairly large space (with 13' ceilings too) and the Kef's will really open up and play more cleanly at greater volume with better amplification than what your receiver can provide. Try Emotiva and Outlaw Audio amps.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Old 04-22-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

It isn't critical that surround channels match the front stage speakers. If you think otherwise you should try listening to some surround channel content someday. I would bet something like 95% of surround channel content is either ambient noise or effects noises, of not more than 95%. It's not worth spending a large chunk of change for reproducing such simple content, because it does not take an amazing speaker to do that well, and any differences from the front stage speakers would be scarcely noticeable as long as the surround speaker isn't terrible. Any speaker with a basic set of decent performance metrics, ie off-axis response, bass extension, sensitivity, low distortion, etc, will be just fine for surround channels.

Also the Videosecu speaker mounts I recommended are nearly identical to the Am40 mounts, except they are half the price- I have used them both.

Also, to the OP, if you have a Fry's near you, all of the Infinity Primus bookshelf speakers are on an enormously discounted sale as well as the Polk Rti bookshelf speakers. Either of these would make for great and very inexpensive surround speakers. I would go for the speakers with 5.25" and above woofers though, as you just can't get both decent output and adequate bass extension from a 4" woofer.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

It isn't critical that surround channels match the front stage speakers. If you think otherwise you should try listening to some surround channel content someday. I would bet something like 95% of surround channel content is either ambient noise or effects noises, of not more than 95%. It's not worth spending a large chunk of change for reproducing such simple content, because it does not take an amazing speaker to do that well, and any differences from the front stage speakers would be scarcely noticeable as long as the surround speaker isn't terrible. Any speaker with a basic set of decent performance metrics, ie off-axis response, bass extension, sensitivity, low distortion, etc, will be just fine for surround channels.

Also the Videosecu speaker mounts I recommended are nearly identical to the Am40 mounts, except they are half the price- I have used them both.

Also, to the OP, if you have a Fry's near you, all of the Infinity Primus bookshelf speakers are on an enormously discounted sale as well as the Polk Rti bookshelf speakers. Either of these would make for great and very inexpensive surround speakers. I would go for the speakers with 5.25" and above woofers though, as you just can't get both decent output and adequate bass extension from a 4" woofer.

Note that the OP said 10% music... for now. Multi-channel music, for example, demands that the sonic signature of the speakers are more-or-less identical across all the channels. One must also look at where the future of audio is headed. Object-based surround, by its nature, places more emphasis on the surround speakers than ever before.

I've listened to any number of discrete surround movies over the years since the DTS and Dolby AC-3 Laserdisc days and have heard it all. Sound effects panning, on more sophisticated soundtracks, can be quite distracting if the sonic signature suddenly changes from the front to the rear and vice versa. Ideally, you're trying to keep the audio environment the same around the room as much as possible... it's more realistic and more enveloping.

The mistake comes when you just willy-nilly mix and match your speakers when you really shouldn't. The best thing to do if the OP can't afford the Q series bookshelves at the moment, would be to save up and then get them... or get re-certified b-stock at accessories4less or some other authorized dealer.

Good catch on the videosecu mounts! biggrin.gif

Old 04-22-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Most multi channel music recordings are live recordings where the surround channels are merely audience noises. There are exceptions, but I can't think of where panning from front to rear would actually draw attention to itself, unless your surround speakers were especially bad. I can't even think of any where there is serious panning from front to back at all, and if you know of any I would be interested to know the titles. This is all on top of the fact that hardly anyone listens to multi channel music recordings to begin with- the OP is far more likely to listen to be listening to stereo recordings for music. As for object based sound, that has been here for awhile, in the form of computer games, however it won't hit movies at a consumer level for a very long time, if ever.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Most multi channel music recordings are live recordings where the surround channels are merely audience noises. There are exceptions, but I can't think of where panning from front to rear would actually draw attention to itself, unless your surround speakers were especially bad. I can't even think of any where there is serious panning from front to back at all, and if you know of any I would be interested to know the titles. This is all on top of the fact that hardly anyone listens to multi channel music recordings to begin with- the OP is far more likely to listen to be listening to stereo recordings for music. As for object based sound, that has been here for awhile, in the form of computer games, however it won't hit movies at a consumer level for a very long time, if ever.

DTS is working on getting MDA into the home environment as we speak. Yes, it will have to start with UHD media, but it will be coming sooner than a lot later.

I have plenty of multi-channel discs (that includes SA-CD's and DVD-Audio) where the instruments and vocals are placed throughout all the speakers. The Ron Fricke large-format films have musical soundtracks that use the entire channel lineup. Excellent mixes are out there.

Audio compromises for the sake of saving just a few extra bucks (relatively speaking in this hobby, of course) is just not my idea of money well spent. Kef makes matching Q bookshelfs, so that is definitely a better option than just going with completely different sounding speakers for the rest of the system. All you have to do is save up. It's this constant need to buy everything at once and squeeze blood out of a "budget" turnip just to have everything... now, that I don't understand.

Be patient, don't skimp, and you end up with a much better audio experience.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

I'm kind of surprised at some of the previous replies you received in regards to surround speakers that are totally sonically different from the front L/C/R array you have chosen (the Kef Q's).

Absolutely stick with surround speakers from the same model line. You want timbre matching even here for precise sound panning and multi-channel music reproduction. Since the Q series only has an on-wall dipole (which will probably not work well with the newer, more advanced object surround formats on the horizon due to dipolar arrays being too diffuse)... I would look at getting pivoting, side-clamping (don't have to drill into the speaker) wall mounting brackets and use Q100 or Q300 bookshelves for the surrounds (decent bass frequency specs. too). That would be fine because the Q series, even their bookshelves, has front firing bass reflex ports.

Something like this (Pinpoint AM-40b... or the similar and cheaper VideoSecu version):

Optimally, you want your side surrounds to be 90 degrees to your listening position (one pair per row, if you have or will have tiered seating at some point in the future) or just slightly behind the listener's ears... not in front or you'll screw up the directional panning cues to your ear/brain. You'll think sounds emanating from the side walls are in front of you, which defeats the purpose.

In the back, you would want to place them at about 150 degrees.

It gets a little more complex than that when aiming monopole speakers as surrounds, but that's for another discussion.

The HSU VTF-15h is great for the money. Also check out the 15" high powered, ported models from Rythmik (with the 600 watt amps included).

You could check out the Panasonic 230 Blu-ray player.

Another suggestion as an upgrade... I would strongly consider adding power amplifiers to drive your Kef's at some point. You, again, have a fairly large space (with 13' ceilings too) and the Kef's will really open up and play more cleanly at greater volume with better amplification than what your receiver can provide. Try Emotiva and Outlaw Audio amps.

I could still get the kef bookshelves for surrounds. I had decided to spend most of my budget on the LCR and now the sub is eating up more of the budget. I'd like to keep cost down for the surrounds. The smaller the better though. WAF factor is in effect. So are there other smallish lessexpensive bookshelf speakers that are better matched to KEFs?

I know that the sides should be 90 degrees but that is not possible on the left side. The wall ends about 3-4 ft in front of the listening position. The right side I could get 90. Can they be that different? If they are in front of the listening position would I be better off just using 5.1?

My room is quite unique. Probably a disaster for an real audiophile with all the angles. Hopefully the audeyessy can help sort it out I'll have to get pictures up of the room because it's difficult to describe.

I can biamp the KEFs from the AVR(denon 4311) until I do a second zone, or if I do 5.1. I havent ordered the Q900s yet, im debating on getting the towers first or sub. Someday I could add amps but I have no plans for that at the moment.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I could still get the kef bookshelves for surrounds. I had decided to spend most of my budget on the LCR and now the sub is eating up more of the budget. I'd like to keep cost down for the surrounds. The smaller the better though. WAF factor is in effect.

I know that the sides should be 90 degrees but that is not possible on the left side. The wall ends about 3-4 ft in front of the listening position. The right side I could get 90. Can they be that different? If they are in front of the listening position would I be better off just using 5.1?

My room is very unique. I'll have to get pictures up because it's difficult to describe.

Pictures would help out immensely. Maybe a solution will present itself.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

This is what my thought process is but I don't have a lot of experience with different surround setups. I think I'm the only one in my group of friends that has more than a htib.

No frys down here in S. Fla.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is what my thought process is but I don't have a lot of experience with different surround setups. I think I'm the only one in my group of friends that has more than a htib.

No frys down here in S. Fla.

You want to have that "wow" factor... or you'll want to upgrade quickly. Again, better to save up and do it right the first time. I'm not saying get Q900's all around, but I am saying that it is better to have similar speaker drivers, even in the surrounds. Speakers are the most important audio purchase you can make.

Before making a final decision... pictures are worth a thousand words. biggrin.gif

Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Please exuse the mess. We just moved in 2 days ago. And these are quick iphone pics.

I have not got the new TV yet. The new TV will be on the wall. As you can see I have the Q600c and the Denon 4311. The towers are my old RS4s and infinity sub.
The wall on the left is the only spot i could put a side speaker. The right side i can make it work.

Here is the view from the TV. As you can see the rear and side walls are making my setup difficult for me. WAF is not helping, but i explained to her tonight that the rears MUST be bookshelfs. One of the speakers will go near the a/c vent on the wall(left wall in pic) and the other will be on stand alone wall( on rightright side of pic)

I do understand the point of getting similar drivers but was originally planning on using small speakers/inwall speakers. If I go 5.1 and do the speakers in the rear I would get the q series bookshelfs since i would be saving on the sides. My concern is that the rear speakers are kind of far from the main listening position. I figured, the sides would help fill in the "gap"
Old 04-22-2013, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Just measured the distance from listening to the rear. Its roughly 11ft. The front speakers are also roughly 11 feet.

The wall on the left that ends is about 4ft. in front of the listening position and about 6ft. to the side of the left most listening position.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

That is an awkward scenario for surround speakers for sure. One speaker that might be agreeable with the wife is the NHT Classic Two in white. It's a little pricey but it will match the room's decor better and it is supposed to be a very good speaker.

Another idea is, instead of mounting stuff on your walls and breaking the lines of the room, why not just use the Infinity RS4 towers for surrounds? Those are some pretty good speakers, and since you already have them, its tougher for the wife to argue against them. Also, it saves you the trouble of drilling holes into your new walls, which has to have appeal to the wife as well. Think about it this way, you are unlikely to get your surround speakers in optimal locations in that room on the first try, and by mounting them they are stuck in one spot unless you want to keep trying different positions thereby turning your walls into swiss cheese. With tower speakers, its easy to move around the speakers and get them where they sound best, and its easy to move them out of the way if the wife gets irritated too.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Ouch! That's a pretty funky floor plan for an audio system, sorry to say.

With what you have to work with... I would stick with 5.1 until you can put your theater system in a more dedicated space conducive to this sort of thing (turn it into a media room or straight up theater). I would do this ASAP, if at all possible. You're going to need a pretty mighty sub or two to give you some audio authority in this type of large, open living area as well.

11 feet is quite a distance for back speakers, or any surround speakers for that matter.

Facing the TV, I would move your couch over a tad to the left and just a little bit forward toward the TV. Place the KEF bookshelves on nice looking stands (to appease the wife somehow) that raise the integrated tweeter/midrange driver so it is clearing the top of the couch. Makes it about 110 degrees for the surround locations, which is fine for just 5.1. Don't bother with in-walls or wall mounted speakers. It will actually look better given the wall arrangement in the back of the room. Run the wires through the speaker stand's support pole and under the couch (using non gummy tape to hold it down, so as not to mar the flooring) and discreetly place a long, thin area rug over any exposed wires running to the A/V equipment. It's hard wood, so a rug would be visually acceptable anyway.

There is even flat-"ish" speaker wire available for just this sort of thing.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Speaker stands might be the answer. I'll have to run it by her. At least with the stands I can move them or temporarily remove them if company comes over. A bonus to this setup is no need to go up in the crawl space, which is a maze of 2x4 because all the different roof lines and vaulted ceilings.

Dpeneding how the wife feels about speakers on stands, Speakers on the walls are still not out of the question. I do agree the speakers on the back wall will be an odd looking arrangement. The NHT mentioned above are more appealing or I could paint speakers to match the walls. Triad offers paint matching colors for free.

The pros to doing bookshelfs on stands are really outweighing the cons the more I think about it.
Pros
1. Wire routing will be easier. I installed the wood floor and purposely left the T-mouldings off so I can run wire there.
2. I can run the larger q300 speakers that will match the rest of he speakers.
3. I can keep the fronts biamped since I'll be running 5.1.
4. Movable/removable
Cons
1.speakers on the floor
2. Pretty close to listeners

So. I think the speakers on stands will be the answer pending WAF.

A couple more questions now.

Can you point me in the direction of a place to get nice speaker stands?

How close is too close for the rear speakers?

If you were going to do a second sub in this room where would you put it? I might run the wire for it now before I glue the Tmouldings down.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Esthetically speaking, you could place the two subs like this: left, sub, center, sub, right. They won't be sitting out in the room like a sore thumb and it will still sound balanced.

I would highly recommend the Q300's for surround duties, if you can swing it. The reviews are quite good.

Probably want the surround speaker stands about two feet from the couch (facing the TV) at the 110 degree marks like in the diagram above. That's why I mentioned scooting the couch a little towards the left, so the right surround isn't in the carpeted walk way, but up on the hardwood.

Speaker stands (you also want to look for stability besides looks, two or three points of support are usually better than one and fillable, so as not to be wobbly, especially out in the wild in the middle of the room like this):

http://www.wayfair.com/Speaker-Stands-C431590.html

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=lp_1063310_nr_n_4?rh=n%3A1055398%2Cn%3A!1063498%2Cn%3A1063306%2Cn%3A1063310%2Cn%3A509308&bbn=1063310&ie=UTF8&qid=1366742877&rnid=1063310

http://www.standsandmounts.com/speakerstands.aspx

Old 04-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Kef has the T series speakers, very flat and the T101s would probably be great for surrounds, if you do wall mounting.

Also, to my ears, I agree with ShadyJ that the surrounds do not have to sonically match the fronts for almost all applications. I would not intentionally get very different speakers, if matching or similar speakers were available, but I would not lose much sleep over it. I have on wall NHT for the front. NHT did not make a dipole, so I got Paradigm,, and it has worked out great. Vast differences in sensitivity are also less an issue now that room EQ is omnipresent. It is so easy to adjust each speaker level independently in modern AVRs, if you don't like the results of the room EQ program.

Oh, The Hsu sub is a good choice at around $1000. But, it is a big sub. I would get a box of similar size to make sure you can fit it and the WAF is ok. Or, just get it and apologize later. Sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. biggrin.gif

Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Rythmik subs are good too and some have less of a profile than the HSU's... more traditional boxes. That room really needs 15 inchers with higher wattage amps.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer View Post

Kef has the T series speakers, very flat and the T101s would probably be great for surrounds, if you do wall mounting.

Also, to my ears, I agree with ShadyJ that the surrounds do not have to sonically match the fronts for almost all applications. I would not intentionally get very different speakers, if matching or similar speakers were available, but I would not lose much sleep over it. I have on wall NHT for the front. NHT did not make a dipole, so I got Paradigm,, and it has worked out great. Vast differences in sensitivity are also less an issue now that room EQ is omnipresent. It is so easy to adjust each speaker level independently in modern AVRs, if you don't like the results of the room EQ program.

Oh, The Hsu sub is a good choice at around $1000. But, it is a big sub. I would get a box of similar size to make sure you can fit it and the WAF is ok. Or, just get it and apologize later. Sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. biggrin.gif

You just made my point. biggrin.gif Kef has sonically matching speakers in the Q series that can be used for surrounds, so why not use them instead of mis-matched makes and models... if one doesn't have to compromise?

Old 04-23-2013, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Well I talked to my wife and got the go ahead on the q300 on speaker stands and q900 in European walnut finish. She was surprised when I brought it up, she figured I was going to do whatever I wanted anyway. So I scored some points there. I'll cash those in when's he sees how big the subwoofer is.

Is the rythmik sub that much better than the HSU? It's about a $400 difference. Plus, if I ever decide to get a second one it will be another $400. Would one rythmik fv15hp fill the room noticeably better than one Hsu vtf-15h? I will spend the money on the rythmik IF it is a big difference. M

I'm not crazy about the way the hsu looks with the v shaped grill. Does the speaker and ports need to face forward or can I have it face sideways? I like the ability to tune the hsu and the price is right. It's also available, while the rythmik is on back order(anyone know how long?).
Old 04-23-2013, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I talked to my wife and got the go ahead on the q300 on speaker stands and q900 in European walnut finish. She was surprised when I brought it up, she figured I was going to do whatever I wanted anyway. So I scored some points there. I'll cash those in when's he sees how big the subwoofer is.

Is the rythmik sub that much better than the HSU? It's about a $400 difference. Plus, if I ever decide to get a second one it will be another $400. Would one rythmik fv15hp fill the room noticeably better than one Hsu vtf-15h? I will spend the money on the rythmik IF it is a big difference. M

I'm not crazy about the way the hsu looks with the v shaped grill. Does the speaker and ports need to face forward or can I have it face sideways? I like the ability to tune the hsu and the price is right. It's also available, while the rythmik is on back order(anyone know how long?).

Great choice on the speakers!!! biggrin.gif

The Rythmik FV15HP in black oak is still the better sub all around in performance and build quality vs cost compared to the HSU, and it looks a bit more appealing too with the grill on (the ports are hidden). The Rythmik HP models have 600 watt (on average) plate amps with adjustable EQ settings (the HSU has only 350 watts on average), and trust me... you'll want a ported sub with higher wattage for that sized room. However, you can plug one of the ports on the FV15HP to tune the box differently to your tastes.

If the room wasn't so large and open and rather a smaller, dedicated, closed-in space... and the HSU had more amp horsepower to make up the difference in sound output, I'd probably say you could save the $390 and go with the HSU.

You should have the ports facing forward towards you for more tactile feel.

Again, I'll ask: is there another room in your house you could dedicate to this A/V system? biggrin.gif

Old 04-24-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Great choice on the speakers!!! biggrin.gif

The Rythmik FV15HP in black oak is still the better sub all around in performance and build quality vs cost compared to the HSU, and it looks a bit more appealing too with the grill on (the ports are hidden). The Rythmik HP models have 600 watt (on average) plate amps with adjustable EQ settings (the HSU has only 350 watts on average), and trust me... you'll want a ported sub with higher wattage for that sized room. However, you can plug one of the ports on the FV15HP to tune the box differently to your tastes.

If the room wasn't so large and open and rather a smaller, dedicated, closed-in space... and the HSU had more amp horsepower to make up the difference in sound output, I'd probably say you could save the $390 and go with the HSU.

You should have the ports facing forward towards you for more tactile feel.

Again, I'll ask: is there another room in your house you could dedicate to this A/V system? biggrin.gif

Ok. You've convinced me to get the rythmik. If I can only have one sub I'd rather get the one with more output, slightly smaller and better looking. Of course its triple what i was hoping to spend originally but I'm ok with that. Ill get my moneys worth. Maybe I can add a second one someday. Problem now I they are backordered. I'm going to call today and find out the deal.

I'll probably get the q900s ordered this week and use the Rs4 in the rear until I get q300s and pick stands for them.

Btw there are no other rooms for a/v system. Ha, we'll maybe the master bedroom! All the old stuff (TV,all the infinity speakers and Sony avr) are going in another small bedroom which will be a backup movie/video game room for times that we don't want to watch the same thing.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

I received my Q900s today. I'll be hooking them up tonight and running the rs4 in the rear.

The rythmik fv15hp is on back order. I called and was told in 2 weeks they should be getting more drivers.