anyone know of some decent choices for speakers that are less than 8 inches high to use in a cabinet? or would an in-wall speaker work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-19-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to try a new center channel speaker and want to avoid the WTW setup. I need to find a bookshelf speaker TW that is 8inches or less high. I currently have a setup with Mythos 8 speakers as my LCR. Having trouble understanding dialogue when actors whisper. I've looked into the usual suspects to no avail and after more research it looks like the classis WTW setup is far from ideal in a horizontal center channel.

So if anyone know of small bookshelf speakers that are 8 inches tall or less, please let me know:-)

A question in the same direction would be if an in-wall speaker such as the Def Tech DI 6.5S mounted into a simulated 'wall' in my home theater cabinet would sound good or be a waste of energy putting together?

Here's the list of my current equipment:
LCR -- Def Tech Mythos 8,
RL surround -- Paradigm Cinema 220,
Subwoofers -- 2 Paradigm SE subs,
Receiver -- Integra DTR40.3,
Amplifier -- Emotiva 200wattx5 channel XPA-5,
TV -- LG 65LW6500 3D LED LCD (passive glasses),
Apple TV,
Panasonic DMP-BD310 3D BluRay player,
Sonos Connect
Harmony 700 remote for control (Had C4 and hated it)
Cabinet: Monster MDesign Eleganza,
AV rack: Sanus Component 100 CFR2127-B1
Blinds: Lutron battery powered on RadioRa2 main repeater, not integrated into system, but has an app.

Thanks again,
Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-20-2013, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Are you planning on replacing the front three LCR speakers or just the center? Having timbre mis-matched fronts (LCR) will typically make things worse (like hearing dialog) - the more even/unified the front sound stage the better.

While you can't lay most speakers on their side, you can lay a con-centric driver speaker like some of the the KEFs on their side - the Q100, Q300 and R100. When laid on their side the Q300 is 8.3" tall and the Q100/R100 are 7.1" tall.

But again, I wouldn't recommend using a KEF center with the Mythos LR front mains ... Three Q100's (or Q300's) across the front would give you a very nice, cohesive front stage and things like dialog would be much improved.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-20-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

good deal. looked at KEF's website and ordered the R Series Q600c. Starting with just the center as that will tell me if my general dialogue off-axis legibility improves or not.

thanks for the help, i hadn't looked into KEF at all.

dennis
post #4 of 12 Old 04-20-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Your fundamental problem is that the Mythos 8 is a mickey-mouse "life-style" speaker, which means sound quality has taken a distant second place to appearance or "style".

Any speaker designer can tell you 3 fundamental things that are wrong with the shape and size of that enclosure and driver arrangement, and the result is poor sound quality.

Now that you have a good center speaker, get a pair of Q300 speakers and dump the Mythos speakers. They can be put on their sides if needed.

You are going to have crummy sound as long as you have the Mythos 8..
post #5 of 12 Old 04-20-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

+1 Two KEF Q300's would be excellent with the Q600c you purchased, and IMO an upgrade from the Mythos (you may not notice it as much in HT, but for music the difference will be night and day).

FWIW, many in the KEF Owners Thread purchase their KEF speakers through http://www.accessories4less.com/ at discounted prices. They are listed as B-stock but so far everyone on the thread (including me) has received only pristine gear, and they are an authorized dealer with the same return policy as Kef Direct. The Q300's are only $470 a pair there vs $650 a pair at KefDirect.
DennisPortageMI likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-20-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

my only issue is that my current Mythos LR are wall mounted. not quite sure how/where to place Q300's. might have to go to freestanding speakers and not quite sure i'm willing to go back to that sort of setup. does KEF have anything decent that can be wall mounted and would pair well with the q600 center?

thanks much.

dennis
post #7 of 12 Old 04-20-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

wait a second -- just looked up the q600c at acces4less and it is $200 less than the amazon price. is it really a legit place to buy? i wouldn't mind having an extra $200 in my pocket...
post #8 of 12 Old 04-20-2013, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

okay, now i'm officially at really dumb. the center i ordered, the q600c, is 8.3" tall... i only have an 8" high opening, doh.

I need to order the R series R600c, which is only 7.9" tall. its of course a lot more money, but will have the benefit of fitting in my cabinet... go me.

anyone have a hot tip where to buy that speaker for way less than list? its quite a price jump.

dennis
post #9 of 12 Old 04-20-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know of any authorized dealer with B-stock or discounted prices on the KEF R series.

Since you'll be putting a KEF center with the Mythos 8 LR mains you might consider trying just the Q200c first (only 7.1" tall and $330 at http://www.accessories4less.com/). The Q200c will still greatly outmatch (outperform) the Mythos 8, and, it would be a less expensive way to test if this route will improve your dialog/center-channel issues.

(I believe the KEF Q and R center channel speakers are rear ported. If you're putting them in an enclosed space you might want to experiment with the port bungs KEF supplies.)
post #10 of 12 Old 04-20-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Slightly enclosed, the rear of the cabinet is mostly open and the shelf itself has passive vents in it.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-29-2013, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You could also try some Cambridge Audio Minxes. They sound great and are the size of a can of coke. There's a thread on avsforum about them.

I own two pairs and couldn't be happier with the clarity. You would probably need some sort of sub to get with them, though.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-29-2013, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Check out the NHT line as well. If you need wall mount, they now have an option (with matching center). I have older KEF Q-series and like them. The R series (especially the 300s) are very well liked by many.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page