Center Recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any recommendations for a center with this setup?

CMT 340 SE
HSU VTF-2 MK4
Denon 1613

Large room (estimate approximately 20X30). Mainly for music, with some home theater. Ideally I'd like to keep it within $250. But willing to go over if it's worth it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-22-2013, 02:03 PM

Liked: 11
I'm new here, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt, but the obvious choice here would be the CMT-340 SE center.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-22-2013, 02:31 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa frank View Post

I'm new here, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt, but the obvious choice here would be the CMT-340 SE center.

Indeed. And vertically positioned if possible as well.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-22-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Ha ya I am definitely considering that, but was just wondering if there was anything else in that price range, or slightly higher, that was better.

Is the CMT-340 SE center meant for a vertical position instead of horizontal?
post #5 of 11 Old 04-22-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinwNg View Post

You may want to ask Ascend about the exact difference between a regular 340 and the 340c. I suspect they are identical except for the badge on the grill and the stickers on the rear of the speaker. Provided it IS identical, used vertically, it would work just like a regular vertical 340 used as a L/R speaker would work, except it'd be in the center. If you CAN accommodate a vertical 340 in the center position, though, I'd just buy a regular 340.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #6 of 11 Old 04-22-2013, 03:15 PM

Liked: 15
It's more a matter of matching speakers. The more alike your front 3 speakers are, the more seamless it will be when something pans across the screen and fades in and out across the 3 speakers. If your center channel is another brand, or even another model of the same brand they won't be timbre matched and it will be noticable in these circumstances.
There is a better dispersion pattern with the speakers vertical rather than horizontal. But for a lot of people they don't have the room to have an identical speaker for a center and placed vertically.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 239
It looks like the 340 is only sold in pairs, which is why they sell the "center" version of it. As for the speaker itself, looks like they just tipped over a 340 and called it a day (from the pictures, they didn't even re-orient the binding posts).
post #8 of 11 Old 04-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinwNg View Post

Ha ya I am definitely considering that, but was just wondering if there was anything else in that price range, or slightly higher, that was better.

Looking at the driver arrangement, I would say it could be positioned either way.

Probably most important, if you can do it, is to keep the front three tweeters aligned horizontally and on the same plane (i.e. the same distance from the back wall), regardless of how you orient it. Vertical orientation ameliorates the ill effects of the MTM driver arrangement's room interaction when placed horizontally. It also helps align all three drivers, which more cohesively places the sound field.

Of course, most people have to cheat, placing it horizontally and aligning the drivers acoustically by tilting the center up/down and setting the time/phase alignments via their room EQ solution. This is certainly due to obvious room placement issues -- do you really want to jack your TV up higher to vertically orient your center, then strain your neck to look at it? You certainly don't want to lower all your speakers down (or raise them way up) to align them (because of closer first reflections off the floor/ceiling) so...you compromise.

edit: nice catch sivadselim -- plus some other grammar issues I caught on re-read, lol.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-22-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post

Probably most important, if you can do it, is to keep the front three tweeters aligned vertically and on the same plane (i.e. the same distance from the back wall), regardless of how you orient it.
I think you mean horizontally aligned. Vertically aligning the tweeters would mean stacking the front 3 speakers. wink.gif
Although equidistant placement may be ideal, it is certainly not necessary. The distance from the back wall (or to the listener) is, essentially, irrelevant. That is why an AVR has time alignment (distance) and level settings.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #10 of 11 Old 04-22-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

It looks like the 340 is only sold in pairs, which is why they sell the "center" version of it.
If this is the case, OP, and you definitely want to use one in the center, vertically, I would still talk to them about a grill with the badge in the proper location. They should be able to accommodate you. Unless that doesn't really bother you. Or you don't intend to use the grills, anyway.

But if it is not practical to use one, vertically, in the center spot, then it just isn't. As pointed out, that is why there are horizontal center speakers in the first place.

post #11 of 11 Old 04-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

I think you mean horizontally aligned. Vertically aligning the tweeters would mean stacking the front 3 speakers. wink.gif
Although equidistant placement may be ideal, it is certainly not necessary. The distance from the back wall (or to the listener) is, essentially, irrelevant. That is why an AVR has time alignment (distance) and level settings.
Yes, I did...stupid mistake, nice catch -- will edit, lol. For some reason my mind said, "they'll all have the same y axis values, so they are vertically aligned"...blonde moment, lol.

As far as the distance, I agree, but IMO it's best to attempt to get as close to the ideal so the AVR has to do as little correction as possible. But, you're certainly correct, discrepancies in the distance is something that the AVR can take care of.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page