Klipsch KLF-30 Vibration repair - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-22-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Hello all, just doing this for all of you out there fortunate enough to own a pair of KLF 30s. They really are an outstanding value used when it comes to performance/$$ ratio. While they typically sound great and can go super loud- they suffer from terribly built cabinets that were made on the cheap. I have encountered this in both pairs that I have owned. If you like your music loud like I do, chances are you have heard your cabinets make a bad vibration noise on the back panel of the cabinet whenever a bass drum kicks or anything in that specific frequency range. A loose cabinet panel sucks the bass right out of these puppies and is frustrating to no end.

I would not recommend attempting this without the proper tools to do so. I would also recommend not trying this if you aren't mechanically inclined.

You will need:
2 tubes PL premium
Caulking gun
1 rubber mallet
a sharp chisel helps but is not paramount
1 philips screwdriver or drill.

Step 1, remove all drivers from the cabinet. Starting with the horns is easiest. Remove all the screws from the speakers, all the different types use different screws so please make note of this.
The woofers use the black red wires and are zip tied together in pairs. The Mid range horn uses the yellow/black wire, and the tweeter uses green/black wire. the woofer +- is clearly marked.
The midrange positive terminal is marked with gold paint. And the tweeter is marked with a small black + near the positive terminal. Also remove all foam from the speaker and set it aside. It is not glued or stapled in place but
please make a note of what goes where so you don't forget. You can also unscrew the crossover from the back and remove it as well.

all the drivers out of the speaker

Mid horn with positive mark

HF horn. The +- marking is on the bottom side of the plastic

Next it's really a matter of tapping out the back panel without separating the MDF. The looser the panel was to begin with the easier this will be. Use a chisel if it helps and tap around the outer edges until the panel breaks loose.

Do this again with the front until you have both sides out.

Next you take your PL premium and put a nice thick bead around the inner seams of the box, also anywhere that the front and back panels make contact. Be careful not to apply in a manner that will cause PL to ooze out of the seams when you put the panels back.

crossover close up.

Next you will put the rear panel back on, put weights on it, clamp, whatever you have to do to hold it still. I let it cure for 24h before reassembly.

If you appled the right amount your bead will look like this when you put the back panel on.

That's really about it. Reassemble the same way you took it apart. Wear nitrite or latex gloves to keep PL off of your skin. Do the job on a table you don't care much about etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Are you friggin kidding me. That's the inside of a $1800.00 speaker. That is a joke, and then you have to fix them yourself after buying them. Paul Klipsch must be rollin in his grave.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah terrible cabinet design held together with the kind of glue that you would find in a hot glue gun. Excellent speaker when it's not falling apart.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Another note for would be repairers. Be extremely careful when prying out the front and rear panels because they are made of MDF and WILL separate anywhere that the glue is still holding well. Make SURE you have the whole panel broken loose before attempting to remove.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page