HT speaker selection help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-23-2013, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
HT speaker selection

I am hoping for some advice on deciding which way to go in a game/HT room. The space is apx. 30’ wide by 25’ deep. This is a finished basement, no windows.
So far I have a new 80” Sharp LED TV mounted in the middle of the wall, couches about 15’ from that in the middle. I have made a 15” Dayton ultimax sub so that’s covered. I got a good deal on a Denon AVR-3311 (125wpc x7) so hopefully that’s good (little worried that it can’t handle a 4 ohm load well but haven’t found anything definitive). I am looking for something that’s going to be sonically and visually awesome (to a point of course). Also like the bang for buck of these 2 options.
The top contenders in my mind so far are two Magnepan 1.7’s up front and their MC1 wall mounts in the back for a 5.1 system. I would like to see how my current center does before getting one of those.
The advantage of these is my wife likes them and the instant gratification. They come out about $3000 so I am using that as my loose budget.
The other option I am wrestling with is going the DIY route and building a set of Statements – I could do 2 full size, 2 mini-statements, 2 monitors and the center for that price. I love building things so that would be fun but it would be quite a project. I have never heard any of these either (statements) but going by the reviews I have to believe it would be pretty awesome in that room. I have never even heard a full 7.1 system so I don’t know how much you gain over 5.1 I am open to other models but I would like it to be a kit with good directions. So I think that’s all the details (I am going back and forth over which way almost hourly so help me please!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-23-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Denon 3311 and the Maggies isn't a good match. Plus that room is HUGE. You might want to take a look at the recent NE GTG thread. And then take a look at some JTR or Seaton speakers and another sub or three. biggrin.gif

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #3 of 5 Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 273
This kind of room is where JTR or Seatons or Triads plus two or more big subs (like Kini62 stated) should be on your short list... besides a projector and acoustically transparent screen, tiered seating... and a much darker color scheme besides acoustic room treatments.

Your receiver, thankfully, has pre-amp outputs, so you can add beefier power amplifiers that can handle big rooms and bigger speakers, with low distortion and even lower ohm speakers with no sweat.

Do this room justice! biggrin.gif

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #4 of 5 Old 04-24-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have been going through the speaker shootout threads - then the JTR thread, great reviews, wish I could hear them somewhere. Don't care for the looks so much but they are at a good price point. I would guess there are some DIY speakers that are similar to these? I am a pretty good woodworker and I like the idea of building something and getting more bang for the buck.

The room is going to be multi-purpose, not a dedicated HT- that's why I went with the 80" sharp instead of a projector. The TV looks pretty awesome. The little Mirage towers (& surrounds) fill the room pretty good now with the single sub I have but I am looking to go much bigger. The sub only cost me $300 or so to build so adding another is definitively a possibility.

Thanks for the thoughts so far!
post #5 of 5 Old 04-24-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhamp View Post

I have been going through the speaker shootout threads - then the JTR thread, great reviews, wish I could hear them somewhere. Don't care for the looks so much but they are at a good price point. I would guess there are some DIY speakers that are similar to these? I am a pretty good woodworker and I like the idea of building something and getting more bang for the buck.

The room is going to be multi-purpose, not a dedicated HT- that's why I went with the 80" sharp instead of a projector. The TV looks pretty awesome. The little Mirage towers (& surrounds) fill the room pretty good now with the single sub I have but I am looking to go much bigger. The sub only cost me $300 or so to build so adding another is definitively a possibility.

Thanks for the thoughts so far!
check out the triad site and thread. many options and custom finishes. great sound too!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page