Monitor Audio - Anyone near Dallas/Ft Worth area have these in stock where I could hear them? Other questions too... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-24-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
With the budget I'm in I have been suggested Monitor Audio and the few times I have asked it seems these are the best for the money. I must admit it's a little more then what I want to spend but if going down $1000 in my budget means I'm losing a lot of quality then so be it, I'll stick with Monitor Audio!

That said does anyone know a dealer around Dallas/Ft Worth that I could go listen to these speakers?

Here is what I have or plan to get between now and the next couple of weeks:

Pioneer SC-1222-K
Outlaw LFM-1 EX (already have this and hooked it up to my old Yamaha receiver and love it!)
Sharp XV-Z30000 (already have)
Monitor Audio - Silver RX - Center
Monitor Audio - Silver RX-1 (L,R)
Monitor Audio - Bronze BX FX (for rear and side)

I'm clueless with audio honestly and I think when I get all this equipment I need to have someone tune everything. Is this something you would suggest I pay for or is some reading on my part going to give me the knowledge I need to get this tuning done? I just don't know if this type of equipment out of the box is going to perform great or if it needs a lot of tweaking. If it only needs a little and I can read up enough I'll do it, if it requires a professional I will do that too. I'm not going to be technical about this and look for test results, etc. If it sounds amazing to my ears that is all that matters. Guess I should ask this too...to a untrained ear will it be noticeable when I listen to say these over B&W or Polk Audio equipment, or say something $1000 less in speaker cost? I just want to get an idea of expectations here. Although I may be untrained and not savvy in audio I know I want great audio in my theater room. I want to walk in there and say wow when I hear, and know was worth the extra cash I spent.

Thanks in advance for any feedback guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-25-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad711 View Post

With the budget I'm in I have been suggested Monitor Audio and the few times I have asked it seems these are the best for the money. I must admit it's a little more then what I want to spend but if going down $1000 in my budget means I'm losing a lot of quality then so be it, I'll stick with Monitor Audio!

That said does anyone know a dealer around Dallas/Ft Worth that I could go listen to these speakers?

Here is what I have or plan to get between now and the next couple of weeks:

Pioneer SC-1222-K
Outlaw LFM-1 EX (already have this and hooked it up to my old Yamaha receiver and love it!)
Sharp XV-Z30000 (already have)
Monitor Audio - Silver RX - Center
Monitor Audio - Silver RX-1 (L,R)
Monitor Audio - Bronze BX FX (for rear and side)

I'm clueless with audio honestly and I think when I get all this equipment I need to have someone tune everything. Is this something you would suggest I pay for or is some reading on my part going to give me the knowledge I need to get this tuning done? I just don't know if this type of equipment out of the box is going to perform great or if it needs a lot of tweaking. If it only needs a little and I can read up enough I'll do it, if it requires a professional I will do that too. I'm not going to be technical about this and look for test results, etc. If it sounds amazing to my ears that is all that matters. Guess I should ask this too...to a untrained ear will it be noticeable when I listen to say these over B&W or Polk Audio equipment, or say something $1000 less in speaker cost? I just want to get an idea of expectations here. Although I may be untrained and not savvy in audio I know I want great audio in my theater room. I want to walk in there and say wow when I hear, and know was worth the extra cash I spent.

Thanks in advance for any feedback guys!

Have you used Monitor Audio's Dealer Locator? I just did, and was able to find 4-5 stores in the immediate DFW area. Then you'll just need to call those stores to see if they have what you're after.

Cheers,
Chad
post #3 of 8 Old 04-25-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I did. Three of them are out of business. One had no clue what I was asking about and the other one didn't pick up. I was about to contact MA directly and tell them to update their dealer info page! One place wasn't even a dealer I think. They just install theater room equipment. They don't really have a studio.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-25-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 253
After 40 years of experience with audio systems, I know one thing for sure; listening in a showroom is absolutely worthless. Different acoustics, different equipment...worthless.

You need them in your home, connected to your gear, for at least 3 days to evaluate the way they will sound. Be glad that you have no store to hear them in.

The sound of an amplifier and speakers is totally synergistic, and the acoustics of the room even more so.

You can get the speakers from an online retailer and test them for a week. But let me tell you, those are very good speakers. Hard to go wrong there. But make sure you can return them for a full refund anyway, just in case.

I have to tell you however, that the receiver you have picked out there is not going to drive those speakers well. The design of those Pioneer amplifiers is not well-suited to those speakers.

You can get a Cambridge Audio 551R receiver for $1200, and it will drive those speakers beautifully and the sound quality will be excellent.

Check out the Home Theater magazine review on it and you will see what I mean.

They rave about its superior sound quality, and rightly so!

If that is more than you want to spend, you can get the Harman-Kardon 3650 for $700, and it will also be far superior IMO to the Pioneer.

By the way; the Pioneer power ratings are way overstated and misleading; you will do well to ignore them.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-25-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the help. Both of those receivers are outside the budget but I may be able to swing the Harmon-K. I was also suggested this one. Is this on par with the Pioneer or better?

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR709/Onkyo-TX-NR709-7.2-Channel-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html
post #6 of 8 Old 04-25-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Either the HK 2650 or 3650 would be my recommendation.

Onkyo is a bit better than Pioneer or Yamaha IMO, but none of those are something I would recommend for those speakers.

The Cambridge and HK will drive low-impedance speakers well; the others will not. The Monitor Audio speakers do have a rather low impedance at some frequencies, so the choice of receiver is a major consideration.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-25-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Ok thank you. I read a review on Amazon about the 3650 and that person had a lot of bad things to say about it but it looks like from the comments he was comparing apples to oranges
post #8 of 8 Old 04-25-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Is there much of a difference between the MA RX-1 and RX-6? The 6 is floor standing so I prefer that but I'm not aware of the differences.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1122 K , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread - Z30000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page