What speakers for this basement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-24-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, I finally have the opportunity to put together my own home theater. It is in the early stages now as I am wiring things up but I can already see it coming together. Below is a picture showing the wall where my TV will be placed. The room is 33 feet long and around 14 feet wide but it does change shape some. The couch would probably be somewhere in the middle of the room facing the TV wall. The TV would be a flat screen sitting insdie a built in on that far wall.

I have a budget of around $1000-1200 for a 5.1 system including a reciever. I know some may say just spend the money on the front speakers but I really want 5.1 to start as upgrading may not happen as soon as I would like.

1. My wife wants smaller front speakers built into the entertainment center but I am thinking I am going to get more bang for my buck with free standing floor speakers. Anyone have other thoughts?

2. I am fine with waiting a bit to find a nice set of used speakers. I am all about getting the biggest bang for my buck. Anyone have any reccomendations on what to get for speakers? New or used? I was looking at Polk Monitor 70s but not sure if I could do better.

3. I am leaning towards in-ceiling speakers for the rears as this would package into the room. My ceiling will be a tray style ceiling but I still think I could make them work. Anyone have any thoughts on what to get? Or again will I get better bang for my buck with hanging some small speakers on the wall?

Any help or thoughts is appreciated. Thanks All
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-24-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Okay...so budget break down. Let assume you can get a good entry level AV reciever fir 200 dollars. I would recommend the klipsch 12 inch sub, which can often be found for 350 (I have thus sub and it is a good bang fir the buck!).
That leave 600-650 for speakers. Polk monitors, infinity primus, def tech sm350/450 or Cambridge audio c30s can all be had within your budget.
Also, EMP tek sells a 5.0 that sometimes can be purchase for right around 5-600.00 dollars! And hsu has some reasonable speaker packages...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #3 of 17 Old 04-24-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The Cambridge audio may be a good choice. I've always been a NHT fan as well.
post #4 of 17 Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Read this review of the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/pioneer-sp-pk52fs

Here's the owners thread on AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1278774/pioneers-speaker-genius-hits-low-price-point

Couple them with the Klipsch RW-12d sub that Elihawk mentioned above, often on sale at Newegg for around $300. Discussion for that sub here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1442829/klipsch-rw-12d-on-sale-for-299-at-newegg-com-again-today

Then that will leave you enough for a receiver.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #5 of 17 Old 04-26-2013, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, I greatly appreciate it. Anyone have any thoughts on my other above questions? In ceiling vs. wall speakers or floorstanding vs. in the entertainment center?
post #6 of 17 Old 04-26-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Floorstander > in cabinet > on wall > in wall/ceiling...
Btw, this is in general and there are some really good in ceiling speaker. But those floating speakers, with no cabinets, will nit sound as good as a decent speaker cabinet with good drivers.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #7 of 17 Old 04-26-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked: 416
For the side surrounds (doesn't look like you can easily do rear surrounds too), skip the in-walls. With your tight funds you might find a decent sounding pair for $1,200 or more... your entire budget.

I'd still try to up the budget a bit, so you have a few better options.

At Ascend Acoustics' website, you could do a 5.0 package of their well reviewed, smaller HTM-200 wall mountable speakers for $722 (shipping included).

Unfortunately, you missed the Newegg sale of this good budget sub by two days: the Klipsch RW-12d, but you could still get it for $350. Or... you could wait for them to drop the price by $70 again and snag it then.

Newegg also has the Pioneer mid-level SC-1222-k 7.2 channel receiver for $549 new (with pre-amp outputs!!). But I highly recommend calling around to area Costco's and finding stock for the SC-1522-k. It's $599 at closeout. MSRP is $1,600 for a 9.2 channel receiver with added DTS Neo:X decoding. The best bang for your buck and you could use this receiver when you upgrade your speakers for a more sophisticated theater setup.

You have a fairly large room, so you need some decent amp power and speakers that can do a decent job of filling the space in your price range.

Skip the Polk's too. biggrin.gif

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #8 of 17 Old 04-28-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

I am leaning towards the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers for my fronts, rears and centers and pairing it with a Klipsch RW-12D subwoofer. I am still looking for other opinions though. I would love it if I could find a system as good as the system I am leaning towards (and at the same price point) but that fit inside of a built in entertainment center. I am guessing that is not possible to find though.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-28-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuip64 View Post

I am leaning towards the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers for my fronts, rears and centers and pairing it with a Klipsch RW-12D subwoofer. I am still looking for other opinions though. I would love it if I could find a system as good as the system I am leaning towards (and at the same price point) but that fit inside of a built in entertainment center. I am guessing that is not possible to find though.

You don't want to build the speakers in if at all possible. It acts like a poor baffle design, a lot to overcome.

Newegg.com has the RW-12d at $299 right now.

I think the Ascends are a better speaker than the Pioneers. When I heard them, I was not blown away as they sounded like good budget speakers, not models that sounded many times their price.

Check out Arx speakers at theaudioinsider.com too.

post #10 of 17 Old 04-28-2013, 02:08 PM

Liked: 15
+1 on the Klipsch RW-12D. I have heard nothing but good things about and it should give you quite a bang for your buck. As for the speakers, Ascend Acoustics will sound better than the Pioneer but I don't know how much better or if it is worth the extra cash. Don't be one of those in ceiling people please! rolleyes.gif stick with bookshelf or in wall for the surrounds

-Ben
post #11 of 17 Old 04-28-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
fwiw,thats a pretty big room to fill with sound for $1200 budget .the pioneer sp 22 series speakers approx.$500 or cheaper depending on some sale watching (probably best 5.0 starter system system under $500 imo) and an outlaw lfm-ex1 $650( great sub; a keeper when you go to upgrade down the road )and a denon avr1612 $199 at accessories4less ( nice starter avr with audyssey )a little over budget but worth it imo.

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #12 of 17 Old 04-29-2013, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This speaker from Chase Home Theater will fill up your room easier than the Pioneer. The Pioneer is a great value for the money.

http://www.chasehometheater.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=28&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=679&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=149&redirected=1&Itemid=149
post #13 of 17 Old 04-29-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Thanks for the help, I greatly appreciate it. Anyone have any thoughts on my other above questions? In ceiling vs. wall speakers or floorstanding vs. in the entertainment center?

In your price range, bookshelves - preferably on stands, but sides could be wall mounted. Possibly 2 subs in the long run.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-03-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Its hard for me as a newbie to sort out what to get since everyone seems to have a different opinion, however I do really appreciate everyones input.

I was leaning towards the pioneer speakers based on what I was hearing but now I seem to be leaning towards the Ascends. I am stuggling a bit however since I always thought it made the most sense to spend more money on the front and center speakers and then go with cheaper options for the rear surrounds. Is everyone mentioning the Ascends thinking of getting five HTM-200s for my 5.0 system?

Looks like the Klipsch RW-12d is on sale as well so I will go that route for the sub.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-03-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its hard for me as a newbie to sort out what to get since everyone seems to have a different opinion, however I do really appreciate everyones input.

I was leaning towards the pioneer speakers based on what I was hearing but now I seem to be leaning towards the Ascends. I am stuggling a bit however since I always thought it made the most sense to spend more money on the front and center speakers and then go with cheaper options for the rear surrounds. Is everyone mentioning the Ascends thinking of getting five HTM-200s for my 5.0 system?

Looks like the Klipsch RW-12d is on sale as well so I will go that route for the sub.

I would go with the front three now (three CMT-340's) and upgrade later to the HTM-200's for surrounds (have the wiring ready for them). Move along when you can. The CMT-340's will fill that space much better and give you more authority for the very important screen channels.

post #16 of 17 Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Will the Ascend CMT-340s sound fine if set on a book shelf on either side of the TV. I would try to leave enought space around them. Any rules of thumb for how far they should be from the back of the book shelf or from the sides?
post #17 of 17 Old 05-06-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Will the Ascend CMT-340s sound fine if set on a book shelf on either side of the TV. I would try to leave enought space around them. Any rules of thumb for how far they should be from the back of the book shelf or from the sides?
Yes, but as with any speaker, it is best to put them on the front edge of the bookshelf rather than set back.

-curtis

Owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page